MXS Bike Setup Application (v3.1 01-Aug-2010)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Re: MXS Bike Setup Application (v2.1 30-dec-2009)

Post by yzmxer608 »

I've never had problems when I've disabled it. It's better on 7 than Vista, but still very annoying (plus certain programs don't like it). When I was on Vista I even had to disable DEP to get a game to work. I have it enabled now though (don't have that game anymore).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

ok... even bigger problem now :) I cant recreate the problem on windows 7..
I changed nothing (that could have a direct influence on this) and suddenly everything works fine.

so the chances of the problem occuring on another vista/win7 PC are pretty high, and i can't fix it if I can't recreate the problem..

I might have to let this one rest and just leave the app in the personal folder :)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Wouldn't bother me if it's just left in the personal folder. I don't change my setup all that much so I'm not constantly opening the program, plus I have a shortcut to the personal folder I can use in a second or two.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Servatis wrote:ok... even bigger problem now :) I cant recreate the problem on windows 7..
I changed nothing (that could have a direct influence on this) and suddenly everything works fine.

so the chances of the problem occuring on another vista/win7 PC are pretty high, and i can't fix it if I can't recreate the problem..

I might have to let this one rest and just leave the app in the personal folder :)
I don't understand why it makes a difference where the exe is. You should either have permission or not. The current directory shouldn't matter. It almost seems like some files in the user's profile folder end up being owned by administrator instead of the user after a Windows 7 upgrade.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

jlv wrote:I don't understand why it makes a difference where the exe is. You should either have permission or not. The current directory shouldn't matter. It almost seems like some files in the user's profile folder end up being owned by administrator instead of the user after a Windows 7 upgrade.
well i'm not an expert on windows vista/7 so i dont really know how it works.
but i have never had problems when running it inside the personal folder, always works fine.
when i ran it outside of it it said i had no permissions to acces the folder "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\MX Simulator", then when I ran the latest release which is located in my perosnal folder it worked without problems.

which, come to think of it, is strange because to run the application I first have to access the personal folder with the shortcut, if i have no right to acces the folder shouldn't the shortcut fail to run the program?

maybe the error was just a one time thing? because I got it only for 1 day, the next day (after restart) it worked fine. but the problem then is.. why did it go wrong because it could just as well happen to other people.
not knowing the cause of a temporary problem makes me want to avoid it :D.

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
Nybrok
Team: Privateer

Post by Nybrok »

Always when i apply new setup,its stock. AND when im not using this,the game wont save the setup i made before...this pisses me off,bad.
Achievements:
-2011 EMF AX champion
-2010 SMA Outdoor champion
-2010 SMA Survival series winner
-2010 MXSON 2nd place (Finland)
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

Nybrok wrote:Always when i apply new setup,its stock. AND when im not using this,the game wont save the setup i made before...this pisses me off,bad.
I don't understand.
can you explain your problem a little more detailed?

---

MXS Cares
Nybrok
Team: Privateer

Post by Nybrok »

well,when i make new setup with this program,and i apply it,setup is stock. And when im not using this program,and i make new setup in-game and when i reboot mxs they are stock :shock:
Achievements:
-2011 EMF AX champion
-2010 SMA Outdoor champion
-2010 SMA Survival series winner
-2010 MXSON 2nd place (Finland)
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

I don't think that is a problem with this program, since the problem also occurs without it.
the problem is most likely between the config file and MXS.

I can't really help you with that.

---

MXS Cares
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If you suspect you're having a permissions problem, right click the config file, choose properties, then click the security tab. You should see both your account and the admin account under "group or user names". They should both have at least read and write access.

I'm guessing what's happening is the game gets run as administrator sometimes, and when that happens the config file is created without setting the permissions for your normal user account.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

status update and a request :D

changed several things about the application (will explain everything in more detail when I release the next version).

Because I'm not entirely sure the permission problems are resolved (95% sure :P) until it is tested on several different machines, i need some beta testers.
Preferably people that can test it on multiple operating systems, but if you only have 1 operating system your help is very welcome too.

I created an installer. The application can be installed at any desired location. (default is program files\MXS Bike Setup Application)
the installed application now refers to the personal folder for both the config file and the MXS Setup folder.
Installation also installs an icon and the new help files, these are .htm files that are used by the help menu of the application.
the .htm files give much more flexibility when displaying text than the message boxes used in v2.1.
shortcuts will be automatically created in the programs menu and on the desktop.

so i ask of beta testers to see if everything still works, but also to see if you like the new help.

send me a pm with your msn or email address, if you want to participate, so i can send the installer to you.

---

MXS Cares
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

ok, well, I have confirmation from a couple of people that it runs correctly on Windows XP, Vista and 7 now.
So in my opinion that's a go for lauch :D.

Version 2.2 can now be downloaded! Please read below.

Changes:
- The download now contains an installation file that allows you to install the application anywhere on your hard drive. (Further explanation below)
- Added accelerator keys. Press alt + a keyboard button which corresponds to the underlined letter of the button/menu item. (little hard to explain, try it out :D)
- Help menu has had an overhaul. (Read below for more info)
- Fixed a bug which prevented the metric values to not be updated when grabbing a setup from the config file.
- “Create/edit setup” button has been disabled until all settings on a setup are given a value.
- Made some changes to make the code a little more streamlined and effective.

The setup file:

Important for people with and older version of MXS BSA!:
you can leave the old MXS Bike Setup Application.exe (version 2.1 and older) in the personal folder for now(as a back-up maybe), it will not interfere with the newly installed version. You do have to remember however that the installation creates its own shortcuts, so remove the old shortcut from your desktop (or wherever you placed it).
Using the old shortcut will result in using the old application (obviously:)).

The setup file will install several things on your pc.
First of all the application, which has the same functionality but can now access the MXS Setups folder and config file from anywhere on your pc.
The MXS Setups folder will remain in the personal folder so after installation everything is ready for use.
An icon will also be installed which is used by the shortcuts and the application.
And last but not least, a folder with the help files will be installed.
These are .htm files that are used by the application but can also be opened with any web browser to view them outside of the application.

The help menu:

While using the application I became very annoyed by the sloppy message boxes that I used to display the help. So I decided to create something a lot more flexible yet simple.
The application now uses several .htm files to display the help topics.
Once you select a help topic in the menu, a separate form with a web browser is opened, displaying the .htm file that belongs to that topic.
The .htm files allowed me to use text formatting, making everything a lot easier to read and find.

thanks to the people helping me test the app :)

---

MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Re: MXS Bike Setup Application (v2.2 27-jan-2010)

Post by yzmxer608 »

I like the new changes :). One thing I would like though, can there be a way to change where the setups folder can be? I would like it to just put it in the Setup App's folder instead of having it in the personal folder, just keeps it more organized. Maybe an option in the tool where it lets you search for the MXS Setups folder (in a "Browse" Windows type feature).
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

yzmxer608 wrote:I like the new changes :). One thing I would like though, can there be a way to change where the setups folder can be? I would like it to just put it in the Setup App's folder instead of having it in the personal folder, just keeps it more organized. Maybe an option in the tool where it lets you search for the MXS Setups folder (in a "Browse" Windows type feature).
I can implement something like this, but i'm afraid i'm going to run into even more problems with rights once the browser allows you to pick any folder on the hard drive.
I could configure it to put the setup files into the installation folder instead of the MXS personal folder?
But what would be the benefit of this? Because both the MXS Setups folder and the MXS personal folder are easily opened via the application itself.

---

MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Just to keep all of the files for the Setup app in one place.