MCM1, MCM2, MXvATV track creators + OpenGL help?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Re: MCM1, MCM2, MXvATV track creators + OpenGL help?

Post by Mona »

AMA_King wrote: I notice the bike is AUTO shift... are there MP races that dis-able that? I am OK with AUTO for now!
In the Menu, go to Bike Setup, and you should be able to find an option that says Automatic Shifting. Just switch that to "No".
AMA_King wrote: What is Sit/Dab? Is that supposed to be like pre-loading for a jump?
Sit/Dab helps you through turns i think. If you use it through turns, it helps you to stay up if you think you'll wash out. And from my experience, if you use Sit/Dab over a jump, it drops your front end a little. I could be wrong though, i haven't done it in a while.
ShowtimeMx

Post by ShowtimeMx »

King, I had a similar problem and the only way i could fix it was to use this custom ati driver. If you want i could upload it for ya and let ya try it, I know that once the new drivers came out i used those and now everything works great so....... could be it but then again might not.
"this community has more little kids than michael jacksons neverland ranch on easter" -ddmx
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

AMA_King wrote:
VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Welcome to a new MX addiction AMA_King.
Greetings Sky, Showtime, BoNalls and everyone else who hopefully stumbles in!
Awesome to see you guys! Hopefully we'll see some cool new stuff for this game!
I see some stuff here already - http://www.puremxs.com

I sent e-mail to all the old AMA guys about the demo.
I'm sure the guys @ TwistedDirt are aware of this right?
If not, Bruce (AMA_DirtTwister) will get my email about the game.

*You know if we all sent email to our old teams, this game would sell a few more copies!
- yeah, I'm a Business Development & Project Manager kinda' guy... :roll:

I'm pretty impressed with the first person view ride-ability. I suck on KB though!
- I'd like to try this with the controller this guy is making:
http://www.mxsimulator.com/benchracing3 ... f=1&t=4706

QUESTIONS - FULL VERSION:
I hate game pads... can I use a joystick or wheel?
Will higher texture resolutions work in the full version?
Believe me, I've tried to convert a lot of the old time MCM2'ers to this game, but it didn't really work out well.

All the OTHG guys find it too hard to learn and they don't want to put the time into it. They expect to pick the controller
up and start whipping and scrubbing in minutes. It simply is not like that with MXS.

I've tried getting VRT_RideBlue65 to come over. He's tried the game out and had some fun with it, but I could never
really get him to stick with it. Imagine him in this community! He's an awesome guy.

I've also tried talking to some of the twisted dirt guys (AUS_Twisted ring a bell?), not too much luck there.

All these old guys are much more interested in Nascar games and simulation car racing games. Its funny that they will
take the time to learn how to play those games, but won't give MXS more than a days worth. :roll:
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
ShowtimeMx

Post by ShowtimeMx »

Believe me, I've tried to convert a lot of the old time MCM2'ers to this game, but it didn't really work out well.

All the OTHG guys find it too hard to learn and they don't want to put the time into it. They expect to pick the controller
up and start whipping and scrubbing in minutes. It simply is not like that with MXS.

I've tried getting VRT_RideBlue65 to come over. He's tried the game out and had some fun with it, but I could never
really get him to stick with it. Imagine him in this community! He's an awesome guy.

I've also tried talking to some of the twisted dirt guys (AUS_Twisted ring a bell?), not too much luck there.

All these old guys are much more interested in Nascar games and simulation car racing games. Its funny that they will
take the time to learn how to play those games, but won't give MXS more than a days worth. :roll:
ya i tried to convince em that awhile back as well, especially cause the twisted guys can bring some of the most amazing things you will see to a game. One of the problems is that this game is not relaxing at all, you cant pick it up and play like we use to in mcm2 and just have fun (especially multiplayer), this game requires a lot of thinking and a lot of watching your front end wash out or not take a hit. so i know for some of the older guys you play these games for enjoyment and relaxing and this just doesnt do that for them. why car sims? (four wheels can be easier to control and not wash the front end out every corner)
"this community has more little kids than michael jacksons neverland ranch on easter" -ddmx
AMA_King
Team: Privateer

Post by AMA_King »

Well, I moved to 4-wheel racing too - just like Ricky, Jeremy, Travis ...
- I mean - just like the other old MCM guys...

I have a RaceSeat, a dedicated wheel, etc. & it is a lot of fun - but it still ain't MX!
- after trying the demo with my controls working & trying the MP...
- I am hooked & just bought the full version!

IDK WTF is going on now though.... because with the same graphic settings that I ran in the demo (and even less options than that) the full version is crashing... very bummed... but I'm about to try my old PC with a ATI 4850-512mb under Windows 7-64.

However, looking @ the full versions lastlog.txt file, I notice that it only lists 1920x1080 @ 24mhz.
- I am running the ATI overdrive option @ 120mhz (which my monitor supports) but 60mhz is the default.
- I am going to try a custom profile @ 24mhz and see if that works.
- I also tried it in WINDOWED MODE @ a lower resolution, but still NFG!

Anyway - really happy to see you guys still around... I guess the true addicts will always be addicts...
- the other guys have proven themselves to be posers, eh? :wink:
AMA_King

Post by AMA_King »

ShackAttack12 wrote:Believe me, I've tried to convert a lot of the old time MCM2'ers to this game, but it didn't really work out well.

All the OTHG guys find it too hard to learn and they don't want to put the time into it.
They expect to pick the controller up and start whipping and scrubbing in minutes.
It simply is not like that with MXS.

I've tried getting VRT_RideBlue65 to come over.
He's tried the game out and had some fun with it, but I could never really get him to stick with it.
Imagine him in this community! He's an awesome guy.

ShowtimeMx wrote:

I've tried getting VRT_RideBlue65 to come over. He's tried the game out and had some fun with it, but I could never - really get him to stick with it. Imagine him in this community! He's an awesome guy.

ya i tried to convince em that awhile back as well, especially cause the twisted guys can bring some of the most amazing things you will see to a game. One of the problems is that this game is not relaxing at all, you cant pick it up and play like we use to in mcm2 and just have fun (especially multiplayer), this game requires a lot of thinking and a lot of watching your front end wash out or not take a hit. so i know for some of the older guys you play these games for enjoyment and relaxing and this just doesnt do that for them. why car sims? (four wheels can be easier to control and not wash the front end out every corner)
GOD - there is so much to comment about in those replies...

1st thing is... CONTROL & I can't express how MUCH this matters!
- Race Car games have dedicated, functional control systems...
- this adds SO much to a moto game that I started a blog about it!
- http://www.racedepartment.com/blogs/troy-bjerke/ (please rate the posts)

2nd thing is... ACCESSIBILITY - via the USER INTERFACE = growth experience & rewards
- most car games have AMATEUR, SEMI-PRO & PRO modes with a reward system
- beginners start with AMATEUR level traction, steering & stability control help
- as you get better, you click a button to advance to SEMI-PRO or PRO settings
- this is an advancement option that allows users to GROW within the game
- this is a huge motivational system that prevails in most games

I used to race - Need for Speed games (easy arcade stuff)
I eventually wanted to progress & found - Live For Speed (AKA - LFS - FULL SIM ONLY)
I sucked so bad & quit playing - but it was hyped as the BEST full SIM experience available.
Then I found Race 07 - it has settings like I described above & I still play obsessively.
I went from AMATEUR to SEMI-PRO to PRO & got my racing "license" for "managed" MP races & points.
Then I tried LFS again & it is like HEAVEN & exactly how I EXPECT A RACE CAR TO HANDLE w/ point systems too!
It was the same damn LFS that had I played before, but "I" had evolved as a race car driver & could actually play it.

So - if these same things were available to us in this game... this game could be KING of MOTO games.
- eventually - with the open system I see - I'd expect to have super-moto & street bike models & tracks available soon.

I am PUMPED that this game was born & would love to help it evolve in any way I can.
- I'd be happy to be webmaster & redesign or update the website, etc.

I guess the bottom line is - once an addict - always an addict...
- but you CAN develop casual "users" from weekenders to full addicts with a proper strategy.
Prologue

Post by Prologue »

The key to this game I believe is the settings. I don't mean suspension setting but control settings. You really have to get in depth with how they work if you want to feel like you are in control of the bike. After you get a good setup, then you can tune the bike and get a fine tuned handling. Most important in all of this is that you need to treat it like you are actually riding the bike. If the path you take is off-camber and you gas it, you will slide out. This is probably the biggest thing I can stress from my perspective: find the low spots in the ground and then you have no chance of sliding out because it is off camber (just like in real life).

One other thing, analog controls make such a huge difference. I think the most important is the (1)analog steering, (2) analog throttle and (3) analog front brake. The first two are obvious, the front brake isn't so much, but if you are trying to find a rut in this game, analog front brake is your friend. Have fun learning, this game is so rewarding once you start to figure stuff out! Pretty soon you'll be kicking ass.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

AMA_King wrote:Well, I moved to 4-wheel racing too - just like Ricky, Jeremy, Travis ...
- I mean - just like the other old MCM guys...

I have a RaceSeat, a dedicated wheel, etc. & it is a lot of fun - but it still ain't MX!
- after trying the demo with my controls working & trying the MP...
- I am hooked & just bought the full version!

IDK WTF is going on now though.... because with the same graphic settings that I ran in the demo (and even less options than that) the full version is crashing... very bummed... but I'm about to try my old PC with a ATI 4850-512mb under Windows 7-64.

However, looking @ the full versions lastlog.txt file, I notice that it only lists 1920x1080 @ 24mhz.
- I am running the ATI overdrive option @ 120mhz (which my monitor supports) but 60mhz is the default.
- I am going to try a custom profile @ 24mhz and see if that works.
- I also tried it in WINDOWED MODE @ a lower resolution, but still NFG!

Anyway - really happy to see you guys still around... I guess the true addicts will always be addicts...
- the other guys have proven themselves to be posers, eh? :wink:
Sometimes overclocking will cause it to crash. Maybe try running all of your hardware at stock settings?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

AMA_King wrote:
jlv wrote:Are you getting an error message?
jlv, thx for the reply - no error MESSAGE, but a crash report says:
AppName: mx.exe
AppVer: 0.0.0
ModName: atiogl.dll
ModVer: 6.14.10.9704
Off set: 00a27ece
=============================
I did get it running! I can only use "GROUND TEXTURE RESOLUTION" of 32x32 - all others crash.

I was methodical about changing the graphic settings, applying changes, exiting, restarting, checking that the setting changes were saved / activated, and then running the game.

Once I figured this out, I ran Rabbit Hill, but when switching to the other track, the game crashed (same crash info).

Exit & restart allowed me to run the other track as my first selection, but when switching back to Rabbit Hill, the game crashed (same crash info as above).

=============================
Reference info - ATI 4870-1GB video card with driver versions:
Driver Packaging Version - 8.712-lots of #'s...
Catalyst - 10.3
2D Driver - 6.14.10.7060
Direct 3D - 6.14.10.0735
OpenGL - 6.14.10.9704
This sounds a bit like the old ATI memory leak bug. Running lower resolution textures slows the problem down since it leaks less that way, but it still leaks on every terrain texture update. I thought it was fixed in Catalyst 10.3 though. I'd try the driver cleaner from this post. It seems to work wonders for some people.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
kwic73

Post by kwic73 »

AMA_King wrote: What is Sit/Dab? Is that supposed to be like pre-loading for a jump?
Sit/Dab helps you through turns i think. If you use it through turns, it helps you to stay up if you think you'll wash out. And from my experience, if you use Sit/Dab over a jump, it drops your front end a little. I could be wrong though, i haven't done it in a while.[/quote]
No Tim, Sit and dab are as simple as sitting and standing.
AMA_King

Post by AMA_King »

jlv wrote:This sounds a bit like the old ATI memory leak bug. Running lower resolution textures slows the problem down since it leaks less that way, but it still leaks on every terrain texture update. I thought it was fixed in Catalyst 10.3 though. I'd try the driver cleaner from this post. It seems to work wonders for some people.
jvl - thanks for the reply... again!
My old PC can run the game very well, but occasionally crashes on track switching.
- that PC can run the game with all settings at MAX + 1024x1024 tiles.

I had a lot of fun with that today! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a few PC's in the house & all CPU's are OC'd.
- none of my video cards are Over Clocked though?
- I learned (long ago) that the OC'd video card = MANY more problems.
- most of my gains come from OC'ing the CPU... but I will try some stuff & report back.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Good that your getting the hang of the game, I'm sure you'll end up loving it in a couple of weeks to a month. Feel like I'm cherry picking here, but I've assembled some of the most talented creators from this community in a track creating team. If you'd like to get your feet wet in mxs by working with some of the best we have, hit me up on msn: ddmx488@hotmail.com We've just started an outdoor project so if you'd like to pop in for some group discussions your more than welcome to do so.
Duckstream

Post by Duckstream »

Welcome to the community!
I dont know you, but since reading few pages of something i couldn't even understand well, makes me believe your a nice person, hope to see you online i want to race old timers :)
on the sit/dap, it is sitting and standing, it CAN help you on turns, but i myself (mayby im the only one) who wont use it at all, i can go fast without it, so its just like blitz said to me : more of realistic feeling/look ingame.

Duckstream.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Good luck trying to get the AMA guys over here man. I tried to get the VMX crew to convert, but no one will give it a chance. Most of them don't even check the vmx forums anymore. :cry:
AMA_King

Post by AMA_King »

Oh noooooooz!!!! :shock:
I can't edit my "Drunken Sunday" posts!!! Oh well... :roll:
ddmx wrote:...getting the hang of the game... if you'd like to pop in... your more than welcome to do so.
ddmx - I am TOTALLY down with that dude... I read your other posts too.
- I will do anything & everything I can to help build tracks & build this community.
- we'll talk on MSN - BUTT: I'd rather use Skype (free group voice chat) & Mikogo (free group screen share)
VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Good luck trying to get the AMA guys over here man...
Sky my brother... if the AMA boys don't show up, see my reply above! :mrgreen:
There are plenty of other opportunities among gamers and motorcyclists!
- I just might be the obnoxious SOB to find them too! :twisted: - more on this later...