Mxserver Tutorial

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Mxserver Tutorial

Post by jlv »

You want /all too:
ipconfig /all
cdub85 wrote:Strange, apparently only my wireless modem has the ability to be configured online. My actual DSL Modem is a ClearAccess which i'm guessing is not a popular brand, it doesn't have any configuration tools. I'm assuming that means I'm SOL on that front. Excuse my ignorance, but the home network you suggested sounds better than the way it is currently configured. How would I go about setting it up that way? Maybe you could just point out a good tutorial if its too much of a hassle. Again mr jlv, your help is very much appreciated.
I'm running a Buffalo Airstation G125. It's easy to disable the router on it. You log in and click "change mode" to toggle router/access point mode. It also has a physical switch on it to disable the router which I never used. It might be necessary to reset it after that to force it to get its address from the modem's router. In this configuration the wireless router acts like a regular network switch/hub.

What's the model number on your modem? You're going to need the manual for it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
lasselarsen322
Team: CleaverMX

Post by lasselarsen322 »

I got this box up when I type ipconfig in the kommand...
asd.jpg
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
I can use the adress 192.168.2.104 to connect, and that's working fine!
But when other tries to connect it still says "connecting server" over and over?
Is it the wrong adress I'm trying to use or?
Lasse Larsen
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You need to forward port 19800 to 192.168.2.104. After that people outside your lan should be able to connect to 80.167.158.11 (assuming you're posting from the same computer you're going to run the server on).
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

jlv wrote:You need to forward port 19800 to 192.168.2.104. After that people outside your lan should be able to connect to 80.167.158.11 (assuming you're posting from the same computer you're going to run the server on).
Okay, ehm?
How do I do that? Do I have to go to some kind of settings?
Lasse Larsen
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

• A second possibility could be that you have to forward your router's ports for the port you are using for your server. To do this go to Port Forward. This website will NOT forward the ports for you, it will just tell you steps to take to do it. Find your router brand and model in the list, if you don't know the model take a look on your router and you should find a model number/name. That will take you to a page with the names of a bunch of programs, since the mxserver.exe is not listed just click some random program, we just need the directions for your router model.
  • Follow the directions until you get to the part where you enter the port forward parameters. When you get to that point select the UDP protocol and change it's port from 19800 to 19800 (or whatever port number you used in your args file). It doesn't matter what name you choose, I suggest mxserver so you will know which one it is later if you ever need to edit it. After that save the changes and you should be Ok.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

well..
1. My Router isn't at the list (it's a Motorola).
2. It will kost me $30, if I have to buy the program?
Lasse Larsen
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

Now it's possible to connect to the server og the Lan. But that isn't what I want to :-)
I have tried almost everything on the site http://portforward.com/ site, but with no luck.
If i can connect to the router with a cabel/ wire, would that make it easier?
I don't want to fumble with this anymore :/ - For over a week I have been working on this and I almost haven't become further.

So if I connect direct to the router with a wire, would that make it easier?
Lasse Larsen
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

FYI, you can't test the external address from your lan. Since you seem to be saying you're running a wireless router, do you also have a cable/dsl modem running as a router?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

We have a Motorola, whioch is a Modem and from that vi have our router which is a Edimax (i hink that's the way it is).
Lasse Larsen
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Most modems are also routers. You're probably going through 2 levels of address translation so you'd have to set the modem to forward to the router and the router to forward to your PC for that configuration to work. That isn't a good setup though. You only want one router running. What's the model number for those devices?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

the first is a Motorola SB5101 SURFboard Cable modem.
And the second is a Edimax BR-6216Mg - if that's what youy mean?
Lasse Larsen
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I looked it up and that modem isn't a router, so all you have to do is forward the port on the wireless router. Here's a link to the Edimax BR-6216Mg Manual. On page 61 it tells you how to forward a port.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
lasselarsen322

Post by lasselarsen322 »

Then the problem comes.... I can't find our Username and Password.
And I'm afriad to reset the router. I guess I can't fix the server then :(
Lasse Larsen
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

Thank you YZed, very helpful tutorial.
KX125

Post by KX125 »

Can someone sent a ready mxserver folder to me? I didnt use this, but i cant do a server and wanna look an folder.