New rider test

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
DJ99X

Re: New rider test

Post by DJ99X »

I guess the best way to combat that is to have the rider perpendicular to the ground the tyres are riding on. That way, when taking flat corners, the rider will stay more upright, but in ruts, it the rider will lean with the rut
moorin

Post by moorin »

shouldnt the rider stay more upright then the bvike when flat cornering? it gives you more grip in real life so i think it would in the game
YAMAHA privateers moorin,
if you aint rubbin you aint dubbin!
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Thats what was said in my post above
moorin

Post by moorin »

haha i dint read it properly sorry dj. and also i think the ride needs to sit more upright when cornering and not in the "high speed straight attacking stance"
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

I'm pretty sure it's still better to stay on top of the bike even in ruts.
yomo

Post by yomo »

If u look at Ricky Carmicheal going through a rut he is leaning with the bike and is pretty well perpendicular to the ground the wheels are going on.

Whereas a flat corner - the rider is now leaning with the bike

Also i don't think that is should be perpendicular but more like 70 degree kinda thing
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

these are all great ideas, but you also have to think what is realistic to code. You can only do so much in a game. jlv is great at what he does but sometimes you have to think about that too.
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

DJ wrote:I guess the best way to combat that is to have the rider perpendicular to the ground the tyres are riding on. That way, when taking flat corners, the rider will stay more upright, but in ruts, it the rider will lean with the rut
I like this idea. Seems to be the best of both worlds.
yomo

Post by yomo »

ahaha yeah fair point... but we can all dream cant we :P
moorin

Post by moorin »

well because of all these ideas at least its something to work to for jlv, its not like we haven't given any constructive ideas to him so i cant wait to see what hes got ready for the next test or relaease.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

As far as rider lean vs bike lean....

Well, in a rut, the rider should lean with the bike, and the rider lean degree should be as close to the bike lean as possible. Initially the your weight will be foward, but when you power out of it your weight slides more nuetral.

In a berm, your weight is pushed on the outside footpeg, body leaning with the bike, and your inside leg extended foward (to move weight foward). You are relatively nuetral on the bike, unless you need the front end to bite like in softer dirt situations.

In a flat corner, it is almost certain that you will be leaning foward, inside leg foward, but your body is relatively vertical to the ground, and the bike leaning towards the ground. You do this for stability reasons. If you were to lean with the bike you have a greater chance of the front end washing out.
Last edited by ShackAttack12 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
BenDexter
Team: Privateer

Post by BenDexter »

it's pretty basic, when you have rut to use,you will lean over with the bike...and be in line,it's the fastest way,if you try to stay sitting upright in a rut,it is possible but you are only able to go as fast as you can hold onto the bike,where as leaning into the turn you can hit it as fast as you dare,because all the force is pushing you onto the seat.

IN A RUT...

Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Also if you hit a rut sitting on top of the seat it will stand the bike up...try it, its relatively safe...

I like DJ's suggestion, the only problem I see is off cambers, and also CPU usage like ddmx noted.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

You know, every time i play with the new rider it just makes me more and more happy that it's here. I love hitting jumps that I always endoed on and landing them fine. I love being able to blitz the red bud whoops wide open and not wipe out. I love popping the rear wheel out on the faces of jumps for a bubba style scrub. i love being able to wheel tap stuff. And lastly, it looks SO much more realistic. ha ha...awesome
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I kept trying to get something working where the rider would lean side to side but everything I tried came out awful. When the rider doesn't lean with the bike you lose track of how far you're leaning and you end up all disoriented. On top of that it confuses the bike stabilization code. There are probably ways to fix these problems but there are more important things to work on right now.