'Mx-Bikes' (General Thoughts)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: 'Mx-Bikes' (General Thoughts)

Post by Phathry25 »

Have real physics changed in the past few years or am I missing something here?

Go back and play v1 and then come back and say the game hasn't changed.
bc45

Post by bc45 »

mace-x wrote:Mx simulator is awesome because the community mods, physics are ok but they were ok years ago, this game is pretty much stuck at this stage, with all the sells that this had jlv should have hired some developers to help with the coding and game improvement...
You know, I don't agree with all of this, if any at all. But I have always kind of wondered why he hasn't hired anyone else to try and help him? Even if it was a couple of people in the community.. Like DJ or someone like that. Whether it's coding, models (though what jlv is working on at the moment with the models looks amazing) with forums, track making, or just having administrators to keep up with the general stuff on the forums. (ripping b.s., etc.)
| 2nd overall in 2013 Loretta Lynn's 125 and 250 B |8th in 2014 250 West Coast Phoenix Main Event
http://roostmx.net/

Facebook @baileycroommusic

Instagram @baileycroommusic

YouTube @baileycroommusic
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

Phathry25 wrote:Have real physics changed in the past few years or am I missing something here?

Go back and play v1 and then come back and say the game hasn't changed.
it has, i never said that it didn't, the biggest change was the rider leaning although i still consider it a very poor development progress over 6 years approx.

Have this game recieved a major physics, graphics or gameplay update lately? there`s like 3 updates a year with some minimal changes.
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
Halvorson

Post by Halvorson »

bc45 wrote: You know, I don't agree with all of this, if any at all. But I have always kind of wondered why he hasn't hired anyone else to try and help him? Even if it was a couple of people in the community.. Like DJ or someone like that. Whether it's coding, models (though what jlv is working on at the moment with the models looks amazing) with forums, track making, or just having administrators to keep up with the general stuff on the forums. (ripping b.s., etc.)
Jlv had administrators on the forum a few years back, and he got rid of them. It was Dj and a few other people. I believe JLV also said he would have problems bringing in other developers to help with coding because it would be hard for them to understand his code.
bc45

Post by bc45 »

Halvorson wrote:Jlv had administrators on the forum a few years back, and he got rid of them. It was Dj and a few other people. I believe JLV also said he would have problems bringing in other developers to help with coding because it would be hard for them to understand his code.
Ahh I see.
| 2nd overall in 2013 Loretta Lynn's 125 and 250 B |8th in 2014 250 West Coast Phoenix Main Event
http://roostmx.net/

Facebook @baileycroommusic

Instagram @baileycroommusic

YouTube @baileycroommusic
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Phathry25 wrote:
Go back and play v1 .
Is there a way to do that?
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Post by Scotty226 »

barrington314 wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:
Go back and play v1 .
Is there a way to do that?
down the bottom ;) http://mxsimulator.com/download.html
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

mace-x wrote:Have this game recieved a major physics, graphics or gameplay update lately? there`s like 3 updates a year with some minimal changes.
If the physics are right the physics are right. There's no need for an update.

Just over a year ago there was a fairly substantial graphics update and JLV is currently working on another.

What would qualify as a gameplay update? The erode improvements we got in the fall of 2012? The constant stabilizer updates we've gotten over the past few years?

Go back and play beta 1 of GP bikes and then beta 4. Tell me what's changed without reading a change log. Some different bikes? Being able to pick a helmet skin? Do the same with MX sim over that same period of time. You won't need a change log to spot the differences.

I'm just as excited to try MX bikes as the next guy, but it seems like you're upset with JLVs development pace, and you haven't said anything to convince me you have a leg to stand on. What would qualify as a worthy improvement to satisfy you? Start there.
Midbeck
Team: Race tech

Post by Midbeck »

Phathry25 wrote:
mace-x wrote:
I'm just as excited to try MX bikes as the next guy, but it seems like you're upset with JLVs development pace, and you haven't said anything to convince me you have a leg to stand on. What would qualify as a worthy improvement to satisfy you? Start there.
The fact that we are still running this game on 1 core of your processor and can't utilize your dual core GPU is outdated and something JLV needs to work on to push sim to the next level. It doesn't matter how long it takes because if we don't update that, the graphical side of sim isn't gonna go further then where we are today.

So in other words, "What would qualify as a worthy improvement to satisfy you":
Multicore support
Proper collision files (mesh)
Dynamic shadows
A way to get rid of the random front end locks and supermans
And terrain deformation once there is multicore
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

There is nothing to gain by utilizing multiple cores. Right now you have a scoring thread, a physics thread, and a graphics thread. Obviously the graphics are processed by your graphics card. Are you suggesting that something as simple as scoring is hindering the performance of the game greatly? Erode needs to be on the same thread as the physics since they work hand in hand, so don't even go there sister!

Mesh collisions would be nice.

I am also on the Shadows train, shit, I've been the conductor of that train for a while.

The random front end locks are being addressed via the stabilizer updates we've been getting. JLV can't make you run reasonable stabilizer settings though...

Already debunked your erode myth...

Still, you all know full well that this is a spare time project for JLV, bitching about the development pace is silly. Do you think you were ripped off in some way?
Prada

Post by Prada »

Beautiful
Ashes
Team: Privateer #65

Post by Ashes »

Phathry25 wrote:There is nothing to gain by utilizing multiple cores. Right now you have a scoring thread, a physics thread, and a graphics thread. Obviously the graphics are processed by your graphics card. Are you suggesting that something as simple as scoring is hindering the performance of the game greatly? Erode needs to be on the same thread as the physics since they work hand in hand, so don't even go there sister!
Phat - while I agree 100% with everything you have been saying. The above point has gotten under my skin every time I've seen it. No disrespect meant to jlv either in what I'm about to say, but...
The fact that physics is currently on a single thread is not a valid excuse for lack of multi-core support.
Refactoring code to split that thread (or other threads) up into smaller threads, would be work sure, but it would be part of the work required to support multiple cores.
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Yeah there's no way in hell that performance wouldn't get better. Or else why doesn't every developer of programs run on one thread. This is also probably why I've heard people have problems on AMD cards, since each individual core isn't as powerful as an intel core
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

From what I understand the physics need to be on a single thread. I've seen this brought up by JLV and the devs at iRacing. Something about the clocks not syncing between cores and it causing show stopping issues.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

Here's a thread that says I am wrong. Everything I said is in there, but in a different context. But I soooo remembered it all!

http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12072