snapshot?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
piponmx24
Team: Privateer

snapshot?

Post by piponmx24 »

I'm still confused about what to do with the snapshots. I just reinstalled the game because I think that I was playing on the demo. So now I'm on the 1.11 and it's the full game but what do I need to do with the snapshots? Also, now my pc has a hard time running the game so I would like to know what kind of setup would be good for a new computer. Right now, I was looking at the alienware laptops. Thanks a lot.
BigFluffyChiken
Team: Vital MX Racing

Re: snapshot?

Post by BigFluffyChiken »

The answer to the snapshot question is in the thread for the each snapshot.
Replace mx.exe or mxbin with one of the above files. The default location for mx.exe should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\MX Simulator". I'd keep a backup of the originals since these aren't well tested.
The directory you're looking for should be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MX Simulator ; Once you're there, you'll see a program called "mx.exe".
Put that somewhere you can get back to it if you need it (I just made a new folder right in that same place called "Backup Snapshot").

Then download the new snapshot, which should be called something close-ish to "mx-snapshot-9-01.exe", and put it right where "mx.exe" used to be. Final (optional) step is to rename the snapshot to "mx.exe". The game will still work if you don't, but it won't launch from the server page if you click the "join a server" button.

As for the laptops, any but the most high end laptops are going to struggle to play sim on decent graphics settings. If you want it to look nice, and if you want to get more for your money, build a full desktop. My recent build was roughly the same cost as my now-three-year-old-laptop was, and it's probably twice as powerful.
But if you don't mind paying way too much money, by all means get an Alienware :)
Image Image
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

The snapshot is only the mx.exe file. It's not updating the game in a way you're used to. It just replaces the existing .exe file. I download the snap, copy it, then delete the existing mx.exe and paste the snap and rename it mx.exe
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Finalmushroom

Post by Finalmushroom »

Start your Systems has a how to on this!!

I'm trying to figure out how to get my erode to work again with the snapshot. When the edit the properties like before it won;t open the game. lol.
TeamHavocRacing

Make sure you have spaces in the correct places. There should be a space after the MX. EXE before the --erode then one space after that and the number in decimal form for the erode value.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
piponmx24

Post by piponmx24 »

Thanks! And what is the erode?
TeamHavocRacing

Start with --erode 1.0 and run at least 10 laps to get an idea of how aggressive the setting is. You can have --erode .9 or less if you want to try and I think I saw Checkers saying they're running 8.0 online and one guy said 10.0 There's some in-depth discussion of this and some settings I haven't looked into and don't know yet how to access and change.... click here... http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30