Suspension Setup Tips/Advice/Discussion

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
yomo

Re: Suspension Setup Tips/Advice/Discussion

Post by yomo »

What would side swapping through realistic sized whoops be caused by? Too much or little rear rebound damping?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Most people overestimate the importance of rebound damping. As long as it's not bouncing or packing it's probably close enough.

It's more important that the bike uses all of its travel effectively. You want to set the spring rate and compression damping so it just barely uses all the travel.

The rider settings are important too. You want him loose but not so loose that he bounces around too hard.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Prologue

Post by Prologue »

yFMX wrote:I think it would be less confusing if the real units were used instead of the 0-100 range.
Agreed.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Units would mean nothing to 95% of the users
The units used would probably mean nothing to 50% of the 5% that understand the concept of units
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

wow this is awesome, thanks a ton.

after translating this to dutch :) and interpreting it in my own way I was actually able to make educated guesses and adjustments.
now i can't believe how smooth the bike runs.

Now that more and more settings are added and it becommes almost a must to work on bike settings, I think it would be very helpfull for newcommers and even some vets if there was something like this for all settings in mxs.
Like one page just to explain all suspension, rider and stability settings. I think that would up everyones game and also bring a lot more enjoyability to the game.
I wasn't so much into bike tuning, just some little things here and there, but now that i understand it, it becomes very fun to change some settings here and there and just feel how the bike reacts. and also knowing why it reacts in a certain way.

big manly hug towards yomo for putting this together 8)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
minegun2

Post by minegun2 »

DJ wrote:Units would mean nothing to 95% of the users
The units used would probably mean nothing to 50% of the 5% that understand the concept of units
not true, Real mx units are far easier to understand and set bikes up right than using the 0-100 thing.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

All the car sims I play use real units, I still don't know what they mean at first, but after tweaking it's easier to use the actual value of said spring/damper because than you have a readily available scale upon which to base your adjustment. In this case just displaying the unit would be better than the current 0-100 scale. However there is a clear need to be able to save and load setups, on a per bike basis.

I still maintain that our ranges aren't broad enough, in my testing last night I was trying to get the rear wheel to pack going through the whoops. I couldn't...
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I'll make it show the units, but I don't see how it makes it easier to set things up.

If you want to see the shock pack up, try the whoops at Staydown's SX. At 100 rebound the shock will still be rebounding when it hits the next whoop. If you're looking for it to bottom out and not come back at all, that's not going to happen. It will be more like 3/4 extended.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

jlv wrote:I'll make it show the units, but I don't see how it makes it easier to set things up.

If you want to see the shock pack up, try the whoops at Staydown's SX. At 100 rebound the shock will still be rebounding when it hits the next whoop. If you're looking for it to bottom out and not come back at all, that's not going to happen. It will be more like 3/4 extended.
Okay. :(

I just want my back end to be lower as I hit the whoops so I was trying to get it to pack just a little so I could get this. I'm still bottoming the forks constantly, perhaps this is due to the control method for the front brakes tho, there's no way irl to go from 0 front brake to 400 lb's of torque in the blink of an eye, lol. Thanks for diplaying the units, it will help by giving me a clear scale of just how large the adjustment really is when I'm changing things.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I want to pay Yomo, prologue, and JLV to come be my personal mechanics and set up my bike exactly how I want it!!!! :D

Good read Yomo, I still haven't played around much with the settings, but I will soon.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

I have beat my personal ghost's by several seconds on most tracks after reading this. Thanks Yomo for your insight, and thanks JLV for everything you do for this game! This latest snapshot is awesome.
twentythreemx

Post by twentythreemx »

So whats everyone running for settings now with the new snapshot?? I was just starting to try to dial in with the previous snapshot (just purchased game a few days ago) and have been having some trouble.

Seems like the rear end kicks around a lot. I have a pretty good understanding for real life set up and tried to apply it to this but still having some trouble..

i know there are a few posts with settings but does anyone mind posting them up now with the new settings available??

Also when you guys threw in the new snapshot and said its "better" did you reset everything to default and it was better??
Prologue

Post by Prologue »

I completely agree, this addition makes the game so much better. I am still playing with settings but I am able to have much more control now, rather than waiting the the bike to settle in certain sections I can just force it to. In short, I love you man. 8)
Prologue

Post by Prologue »

twentythreemx wrote:So whats everyone running for settings now with the new snapshot?? I was just starting to try to dial in with the previous snapshot (just purchased game a few days ago) and have been having some trouble.

Seems like the rear end kicks around a lot. I have a pretty good understanding for real life set up and tried to apply it to this but still having some trouble..

i know there are a few posts with settings but does anyone mind posting them up now with the new settings available??

Also when you guys threw in the new snapshot and said its "better" did you reset everything to default and it was better??
Try a high rebound (70-100) and low rear spring rate (25-40) and high rear preload (80-100). The high preload is to get the spring squished a little to help provide more bottoming resistance (because a low spring rate gives little bottoming resistance).

I am still running laps on a setup similar to this and am loving it. It probably is a little *too* much, but you've gotta test the limits ya know?
twentythreemx

Post by twentythreemx »

thanks for a helpful reply!!

ill play around. right now im opposite. i had a high spring rate and low preload and it seemed ok but will try switching and see what i think. i think i was like 60-70 with rebound.