MX Simulator Track Competition #1

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Garasaki

Re: MX Simulator Track Competition #1

Post by Garasaki »

Voutare wrote:I'm trying to figure out the best way to add ruts into the disp now.
Your ruts on ... San Pasquel? The sandy colored track with the 6 pack that ends in a step up, then a step down, then the whoops...

were really really good. Just do that again.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

Those were also done in the editor, something I don't want.
DJD

Post by DJD »

ddmx488 wrote:Yeah FisherKawi, I know you have something in the works don't ya? And we also have a preview coming up sometime shortly here.
Why would you post a preview?

1. Ruin the element of surprise.

2. Give other track builders ideas.

3. Ruin the surprise!
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

DJ_Diehl#777 wrote:
ddmx488 wrote:Yeah FisherKawi, I know you have something in the works don't ya? And we also have a preview coming up sometime shortly here.
Why would you post a preview?

1. Ruin the element of surprise.

2. Give other track builders ideas.

3. Ruin the surprise!
thats why i said abou dont hav much previews
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Screw you guys...

:lol:
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Jwynn131

Post by Jwynn131 »

Cant wait for some cool tracks to be released :mrgreen:
Team Whip Style-Brina#73 Tony#517 Brent#126 Blah#112 Jwynn#131 Judge#52
Redbull

Post by Redbull »

For your Glen Helen track cant you make the ruts on the track layout before you add the hills then just add the hills and jumps back?
ImageFRAUD IS A CRIME SAM!!!
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Redbull wrote:For your Glen Helen track cant you make the ruts on the track layout before you add the hills then just add the hills and jumps back?

I could, but I already made the hills. I'm definately not starting over.

I'll put it into prospective for all you track makers, solid white on this track, on 1% opacity is still too tall for a rut. :/
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Draw the rut at 50% opacity, then you will effectively get 0.5% opacity
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

If you are using a version of photoshop that has "fill" and "opacity" options, you can use them both together.

IE you could have 1% opacity and 25% fill, getting something that would be approximately 0.25% opacity.

You might also consider learning the difference between fill and opacity.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I've been using fill almost exclusively for my contest track.

Doesn't fill adjust to the colors under it, so the ruts over the tops of crests go with it, instead of straight through, or am I going backwords?
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

No, your not even close actually :lol:

Fill effects the contents of a layer and any effects you have on it as well.

Opacity has no effect on any layer effects you have.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What you described is the difference between some layer blending methods. I prefer to keep it simple there. I use screen for anything that goes "up" and multiply for anything that goes "down".

Multiply does not blend pure white. And it leaves pure black alone. 99% white is blended at 1%, 99% black is blended at 99%. Etc

Screen does not blend pure black. And it leaves pure white alone. Etc.

Think SX here. On a flat background, making a jump that goes from pure black to pure white to pure black - setting this to screen, the effect is a nice gradual transition.

On the other hand, if you want to make a depression, going from pure white to black to white, setting to multiply, you still get a nice gradual transition, its just down instead of up.

Of course, on a flat base, it dosent make much difference, because most things will turn up nice and gradual on a flat base unless you are really heavy handed in PS. But take the same concept and apply it to a natrual terrain base - and you can see how useful the gradual transitions could be. On the other hand, trying to build a jump on a hill can be pretty tricky as you are building a slope on top of a slope...

Oftentimes theres no real difference between normal blending and screen/multiply - but sometimes there is.

(I think I may have been rambling there - so I stopped typing lol)
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I realized that my answer to your question wasn't very straight forward. Here's the straight forward version:
Voutare wrote:Doesn't fill adjust to the colors under it, so the ruts over the tops of crests go with it, instead of straight through,
Adjusting either the fill or the opacity would have this effect. The only time you wouldn't have this effect is to draw a line of constant color and leave it at 100% fill and opacity, and blending mode normal.

Drawing a pure black line and adjusting the opacity or fill to a low setting will give you a rut that follows the terrain underneath.
yFMX

Post by yFMX »

I don't think the explanations above are really clear so I'll try to explain fill/opacity the best I can.
Opacity affects the whole layer which includes the content of the layer + the layer effect.
Fill only affects the content of the layer.
On this pic you can see that opacity 50% reduces the "drop shadows" effect + the color to 50% whereas fill 50% only reduces the color to 50% without affecting the "drop shadows" effect.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I had 2 ideas for this, both of which are for JLV -

1) There should be a "JLV's Favorite" track, and the creator gets a silly prize like a signed version of MXS or signed jersey or one of your old riding gloves, or an invitation to come clean your air filter (free of charge) or something like that.

2) You should have one of your servers setup with all the contest track entries so people can play the contest tracks online whenever they want during the judging period.