Need some feedback on motor sound change

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Need some feedback on motor sound change

Post by jlv »

Is this an improvement? This doesn't vary the volume based on the throttle. Instead it forces misfires when the engine's torque is near 0.

Windows: http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-2009-03-13.exe
Linux: http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-2009-03-13
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Netdemon01
Team: Privateer

Re: Need some feedback on motor sound change

Post by Netdemon01 »

Sounds pretty awesome to me; I would definitely call it an improvement over the existing sound. I'm loving the idle sound for sure. :D

"This game will always be about pushing it right to the edge without going over .... to keep up with the top riders you will still have to be right on the edge of control." - jlv
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

30 seconds in.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMQphFol4c

It's better than what it was, still a ways to go. :( Glad to see it's being worked on though! :)
chuey352

Post by chuey352 »

to be quite frank..i didnt like it. it sounds like a snowmobile to me. but not for bikes. it makes them sound like their about to pop! (blow up) and im with phathry im glad to see its being worked on...and the only thing "i" liked was the idle as well.
Mx Simulator OG
ddmx488 wrote: Everyone poops on their keyboard and expects a great skin to pop up in photoshop.
TEAM HONDA
enzopersson

Post by enzopersson »

the 2strokes sounds awsome! i still want that more like refreshing 2 stroke sound, and that badass screaming 250f sound when u twist the throttle untill you cant twist it no more. more like crispy sound on the 2 stroke, when ur on the throttle and off, still sounds awsome when u break with the 125 tho. 250f should be like more crispy and heavy but light sound at the same time. if u watch movies when u can hear a pinned out 250f i think u get what i mean, its the same with 125.

peace
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

They sound better than before. I think the two strokes sound like a modded out snowmobile though, it crackles and pops a lot. One thing I thought was funny (at least on the 4-strokes, didn't test it yet on the 2's) is when you are going pretty fast on a straight, then before the corner you downshift like crazy, but need some power to get to the turn still, so you give it some gas but you are still going too fast for 1st gear and it revs really high, but now you can barely hear it rev at all. Like everyone else, the only really big improvement is the idling, but I still like the rest- they just need some more work.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
TerrorTodd

Post by TerrorTodd »

Yeah honestly, i dont like it. It sounds like you are holding a coffee can up to the muffler. I think you should be spending more time on the physics (front wheel washing out) more than sounds. I just got really pissed off because i kept losing the front end in every corner.
enzopersson

Post by enzopersson »

TerrorTodd wrote:Yeah honestly, i dont like it. It sounds like you are holding a coffee can up to the muffler. I think you should be spending more time on the physics (front wheel washing out) more than sounds. I just got really pissed off because i kept losing the front end in every corner.
Just practice more! :roll:
DJD

Post by DJD »

The little misfires and crackles sound cool.. :D .....but would it be possible just to lower the exhaust note to a deeper tone?.......More aggresive........

still sounds like a weedwacker..... :?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

The 4-stroke idle is much louder than the rest of the sound range, that shouldn't be. The sounds are a fair bit better, but I agree with DJ777, the exhaust note does need to have its frequency range dropped, it sounds a bit high pitched at the moment.
karlwb

Post by karlwb »

DJ wrote:The 4-stroke idle is much louder than the rest of the sound range, that shouldn't be.
ditto,idle volume needs reducing
TerrorTodd wrote: I think you should be spending more time on the physics (front wheel washing out) more than sounds. I just got really pissed off because i kept losing the front end in every corner.
YOU need to spend more time on suspension set-up if your front wheel washes-out on every corner,don't blame the physics,set your bike up better!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

So basically, it's better, but needs to be quieter at 0 throttle? I don't want to go nuts with this, I just had an idea last night and wanted to try it before I forgot it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy »

i agree i think that the exhaust needs to have the frequency range dropped aswell
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It's not that simple. There are a few different frequencies going together and lowering them tends to make it sound softer.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
markm32

Post by markm32 »

I can't say I like it much. The four-strokes sound like a kid farting in a can. The two-strokes sound pretty good. Idle was also good on the four-stroke, maybe a bit loud though.