Track Textures

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
cpt_Slow
Team: Privateer

Track Textures

Post by cpt_Slow »

Ok so this game is really taking off now, but i think it looks slightly, unrefined due to the consistent track textures, i know you can change textures with dirt.ppm and grass.ppm but its still uniform throughout the track. The look of the game would be much better IMO if a texture map could be made and wrapped over the track, and would give different tracks different textures.

This is just my opinion, and forgive me if this is too difficult or time consuming but i just feel it would add a more "polished" feeling to the game.

p.s this effect can nearly be achieved with the shading.ppm but the set textures get in the way, if there was some way to turn this off it may work but i dont really know :oops:
Wilson
Team: Privateer

Re: Track Textures

Post by Wilson »

yes jlv please listen, ok so mx vs atv unleashed you can have a 960 by 960 texture map with no filled in sets, so you can let you mind run free as far as base textures, so for mxs you could can the texture not be in sets and just have 1 1024 image to be pixel by pixel with the ground.While over top the main texturemake it have a 1025px dirt overlay and have that tiled about 6 or 7 times.that would give way more detail in track and in textures while also letting us be more creative and have tracks stand out more.

on another note could you explain to me ,here or in a PM, how to make new objects for this game?cause i have some great ideas that could be set off with some new objects.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I am going to redo the texturing soon. I was thinking I'd go with something where you could place textures with rotation, scaling and blending added in. Sort of like the way the track objects are placed now, except it would set the ground texture instead. That way you could save memory by repeating stuff, but it shouldn't be too obvious because of they won't be aligned in tiles.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

If you want to change the colours of the track in different places, just open up shading.ppm, and get those splattered brushes and paint a light brown colour over where the track goes (in a new layer). Then, set that layer to multiply (this allows the shadows to still stand out). Then merge all the layer together and export it. I did it on my new track, worked great.

EDIT - I just re-read you post cpt_Slow, and realised you mentioned shading.ppm. I think my method might fix your problem