Suspension

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Suspension

Post by rewrew421 »

I think after ALOT of testing that the suspension in this game is just wrong. The way it works is correct but there has to be a calculation that is off, either the compression or rebound is to stiff/high ive watched some videos of my self riding woops (i made a bunch of sections of woops started small..corner..little biger..corner little bigger..yea u get the idea and i just dont think some thin is right here. for instance when you go through realistically sized woops the bike bounces crazy like, now i was thinking this is because the forks(mainly) are to stiff OR they have to much rebound which is pretty much the same effect. Im not sure if leaning back would help this? I actually built a new set of woops at my house just to see what it was like and i can skim them just by being centered on the bikeas long as my speed is consistent just tap the front wheel off the top of every woop but as they get worn down and less "peaky" its harder to not lean back

JLV your take?
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Suspension

Post by jlv »

The spring rates are correct, but the damping is just my best guess. Also, it's just one steady damping rate where a real fork/shock has low and high speed circuits. That would be easy to simulate correctly, but I need to find some shock/fork dyno numbers first.

I'll put in some adjusters for the next version. I've got a lot more time now that I'm not putting all my effort into making tracks.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You're right. It's too stiff. I found a fork dyno chart here. I have it set to 60 pounds of force at 12 inches/second. As you can see from the chart on the page I linked that is way too stiff. It should be 20 pounds at 20 inches/sec one way and 45 the other. Not sure which way is compression and which is rebound on that chart though.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

i tihnk you should make it so when you bottom out you fall because on red bud i can nail some of those small jumps up way out on the flat and still land theres no way you would do that in real life with out breaking ankles or something

Joe
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

That's true but that's more related to the rider being the man of steel than the suspension settings. I should probably make it black out and lose all stability assist for a second when the rider takes a big enough impact.

Also, I think I misread the fork dyno in that it's only for one leg, which means it has to be doubled to get the damping force for the whole fork. That makes my stock settings much closer. For compression it was 60 lbs at 1ft/sec and should have been 40, rebound should have been 30 lbs at 1ft/sec. It looks a little bit soft like that to me, but I'll have adjustable damping going soon so you can see for yourself.
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Post by rewrew421 »

When do we get an update :P(prolly when i get enough spare change to buy the game)
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

I think the biggest reason this game doesnt handle whoops and bumps well is because the rider is just a static object. In reality you absorb bumps with both the suspension and your legs. I think onces the rider gets some movement (including using his legs as suspension) riding over rough terrain will be much more realistic.