JLV- MX SIM- STEAM

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
g-dub
Team: DUBMOTO/EKSBrand.com

JLV- MX SIM- STEAM

Post by g-dub »

Hi Jlv, i know this has been asked before (a year ago) but... :) have you thought anymore about putting mxs on steam? i've had 3 people this week on steam ask me how i was playing mx sim and where did i get it.. lol tbh i found this game by pure chance, no adverts,no publicity, no info until i typed in google "motocross games for pc" just wondered if you ever thought about it and what your reasons were/are for not doing it if thats what you've decided. thanks mate :)
http://www.EKSBRAND.com

Steam Name: G-DUB MX
Paulo#33
Team: Me and God

Re: JLV- MX SIM- STEAM

Post by Paulo#33 »

Mx Simulator, willingly or not, is an Indie game, yes indie game!
Even with this quality, popularity, steam needs a fixed production and extensive with various officials to keep the game quality above a MX vs ATV.

Additionally, players of steam, only play racing games "arcade" and other games very easy.
If Mx Simulator entering steam, members who download, will give a critique: "From the pictures and the videos the game is good"

But when they try to play other criticize vain: "I just fall, the bike does not stand, this game is garbage."

All this you know why?
Why 80% of players of steam are people looking for graphical quality, but with simple gameplay that does not require knowledge.

Why Mx Simulator is better to keep "indie" Why 90% of players MXS has or had any experiences with bikes in real life or wants to play games difficult level.

I know you're asking directly for JLV, but that would be my answer if I were him.
Hello i'm MotocrossPlays Channel
Check out and subscribe
http://youtube.com/user/pingo33
MacNeill 31

Post by MacNeill 31 »

Paulo#33 your assumptions about steam are incorrect. The "indie" game part of steam is more popular than ever. Valve (the company that runs steam) does a lot to promote indie type games, new ones are featured on the main store page every day. Even games with two dimensional sprite graphics can be very successful on steam. Also there are many simulation games for sale, not just the latest "call of duty." Having MXsim offered on steam would greatly increase the sales and awareness of it's existence, because as g-dub pointed out, many people sort of stumble onto it by accident. Also, I have made a lot of friends playing MX vs Atv reflex on steam in the past, but now that THQ has gone out of business and the reflex servers may be gone for good, there is a void to fill there. There are very few motocross games available on steam right now, mud, which by many accounts is a bad game, and reflex, which does not have multiplayer support any longer.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Probably would be a good idea. I haven't looked into how their software works. Anyone know if it would interfere with the current key system?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
T-RIDER
Team: System Decal

Post by T-RIDER »

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. You would probably receive the key to your steam account then type it into the game as usual.
pulse

Post by pulse »

not that I know of, unless some on logs on steam on another computer that has sim and download it that way and get a key. but they wouldent ban able to play online if the other person is on steam.
LilLitwiller
Team: Privateer

Post by LilLitwiller »

jlv wrote:Probably would be a good idea. I haven't looked into how their software works. Anyone know if it would interfere with the current key system?
Would it Be such a good idea? IMO it would cause a lot of hassle for the community.
T-RIDER
Team: System Decal

Post by T-RIDER »

How so?
LilLitwiller
Team: Privateer

Post by LilLitwiller »

T-RIDER wrote:How so?
Idk, we already get enough people complaining. Steam is like console gaming, where everything is there for you at your disposal and there is no one to point fingers and accept the industry. So if we have a lot of those people who think everything is easy and should be done perfect it would cause a lot of havoc. Not to sure where I am going with this. Hope you get my point!
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Everyone complaining clearly doesn't know how many hardcore gamers use steam. Eve Is on steam. And that game had a learning curve 100x harder than sim. It's more of an exposure thing than anything. I'm pretty sure they're content delivery system and update system is very simple also and not too hard for developers, that's why indie games thrive on steam. Idk if its possible to bypass Greenlight or what the requirements are to bypass that. But I'd go for it JLV. And MANY if not all games are comparable to be bought/launched with the steam client and also the stock client we already have. It would be great for the community, and Josh's wallet ;)
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
g-dub

Post by g-dub »

i agree, imo it would take mxs to that next level as far as bringing in more exposure and revenue. Not only that it would be awesome to actually have the game on there as most games launch thru steam and have all the options tied with them such as "view forum" and other handy options.there is a monumental gap in the market for mx games, granted the market would be tiny in comparison to that of a FIFA or COD, but a market none the less. My only concerns with the steam route is that the way "DLC" is handled.. i mean as it stands we all login to a website to search for tracks/gear/bike skins etc and 70% of the time we have to also edit files with notepad etc. this is fine if you are willing to learn but for quite a few this would be impossible. my idea would consist of this.. perhaps a select few of our community would create "packs" for the general public. this would include bike skins, helmet skins, gear skins, editor objects etc. or maybe a monthly update pack for steam users which contain the latest models and tracks etc? idk how you could implement that but its an idea. i personally would love to see mxs on steam, you could have links to the RF and MXScentral sites also so you can sign up for competitive races. Nordic games are "currently" is the process of announcing whats happening with the MvA series. until then where can you play a mx game online which is half decent, MUD btw the way for anyway who's thinking of getting it.. do NOT waste your money.. the game is possibly the worst mx game to date.

g-dub

Post by g-dub »

So you'd like to have your game
on Steam?

At the moment Steam is currently not accepting new game submissions as we transition to our new Steam Greenlight process. You can find out more about Steam Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

In the meantime, the following sections will answer some basic questions on distributing your game through Steam.

Jump to: Business Details | Technical Details | Submission Details

Business Details

1. Does Steam only accept games from major publishers, or will you take a game from an indie developer?
Your game doesn't have to come from a big name studio, as long as it's fun we'd love to see it.

2. What do you look for when accepting games for Steam?
Going forward, we’re putting the choice into the hands of customers through Steam Greenlight. You can find about more about Steam Greenlight here.

3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?
Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

4. What is your revenue split?
We don't discuss our revenue split publicly. Once your game goes through Steam Greenlight, we'll get to those details.

5. Do the steam royalties apply before or after VAT/country specific taxes?
Taxes are removed before calculating royalties.

6. What is the common payment interval and can we group transactions to minimize banking fees?
We make monthly statements and payments.

7. What other fees come out of my revenue share?
There are some specific adjustments made depending on such things as fraud and returns and these are outlined more fully in our distribution agreement that we will send to you if your game is going on Steam. We do not make deductions for marketing or bandwidth.

8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?
We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can, therefore we do not require exclusivity on titles.

9. What are my marketing options on Steam?
We do not sell any of our marketing on Steam. We will work with you to determine the best marketing plan for your title.

Technical Details

1. How do I get access to Steamworks?
To get access to the Steamworks SDK, you still need to go through Steam Greenlight. All of our publicly available information is located here. If you have further questions you can contact steamworks@valvesoftware.com.

2. My game is in early development stages, don't I need to plan for the SDK integration now?
The Steamworks SDK is easy to integrate, so you can wait until your game is further along in the development cycle before worrying about it.

3. Do you take XNA, Flash or Adobe Air games?
Yes, we accept all three types on Steam. Flash games need to be wrapped so that they launch from a stand-alone executable.

4. What language is the Steamworks API available in?
The Steamworks API is written in C++.

5. Do you have a .NET or Actionscript wrapper?
We do not have any wrappers available as part of the SDK.

6. Do you have a DRM solution for .NET, Flash and Adobe Air?
We currently do not have a way to DRM these titles.

Submission Details

1. I've got a game I want on Steam. What should be my first step?
Check back on August 30th when Steam Greenlight launches. You can read more about Steam Greenlight here.

BuryYourHead707

Post by BuryYourHead707 »

Couldn't all of the custom tracks/gear/bikes be downloaded through Steam Workshop?

I know that various games use it like Skyrim, Garrys Mod, etc. I'm also pretty positive that it is free content.

Steam would be great for MXS no matter what anyone says. It would be easier for updates, we have one place for all DLC, and we could use the Steam overlay for friend invites and chat.
I honestly think this would streamline the experience ten fold, and create something much easier for the user to enjoy.
It would do a good deal towards getting MX Sim known and funded as well. Think about it JLV.. It could make things better for everyone I believe.
Paulo#33
Team: Me and God

Post by Paulo#33 »

jlv wrote:Probably would be a good idea. I haven't looked into how their software works. Anyone know if it would interfere with the current key system?
You would have to abandon the BMT Micro course.

The key generation system will be shut down.

The steam validates the game by e-mail of the User of steam.
The place to enter the key, would not exist.
So to play MXS, the steam will always have to be open.

example:
- I go into my steam account
- Buy the Mx Simulator by steam
- I do download the MXS by steam
- I install the game normally.
- I go and just play without typing any key.

If out of steam and try to enter the game, a screen will open and the steam will tell you to log.
If you log in, but the game was not purchased, the steam will not let you play.

To play offline, you must have an internet connection ever.

But I do not agree.
Why?
- Programmers hacker can easily make the game executable to dribble the steam and lets players play pirated offline and even play online on pirated servers (since disabled the confirmation key when it comes to servers).

This is my opinion not to put on steam, keep the game in standardized physical confirmation "Enter your key."
No hacker could circumvent this simple system and its BMT Micro Josh * - * (here comes the exceptions)

Sorry, google translator.
Hello i'm MotocrossPlays Channel
Check out and subscribe
http://youtube.com/user/pingo33
cloud_2901
Team: Complete newbie

Post by cloud_2901 »

Paulo - theres offline mode on steam, also I see no reason why putting it on Steam would remove JLV's key authorisation, plenty of games have Steam and keys to enter..

Steam would be a good move for the growth of the community, although there'd certainly be some kinks to work out with pricing (Steam taking a cut) and DLC / updates.

I for one welcome our new Valve Overlords :p