FAQ: DualShock4 on PC (Mapping for MXS)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
BuryYourHead707

FAQ: DualShock4 on PC (Mapping for MXS)

Post by BuryYourHead707 »

This FAQ will explain to you the different options you have connecting your DS4
to your PC, as well as how to use the DS4 properly with MXS.
Let's get started!

1) Connecting your DualShock4
There are two ways you can connect your DS4 controller to your PC.
A) Wired with a MicroUSB cable.
Plug it in and wait for the driver to install.
When you're done with the controller, just unplug it and set it aside.

B) Wireless with a Bluetooth stack. (Any BT will work, unlike DS3)
First you want to press and hold the "SHARE" button, then press and hold the "PS" button also
until the light-bar on the front of the controller starts blinking white.
Once your controller is blinking, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers >
Bluetooth Personal Area Network Devices and click "Add Device".
"Wireless Controller" should pop-up in the list of devices to add, so add that and wait for the drivers to be done installing.
When you're done using the controller, either hold the PS until the white light turns off, or disable the Bluetooth stack.

Now that we have the DS4 connected to our PC, we need to set it up properly for MXS. (That's why we got it right?!)

2) Setting up the DS4 for MXS
Because the DS4 doesn't have an official driver, or Xinput support, it uses DirectInput.
This causes both R2 and L2 triggers to perform as buttons and an analog axis.
This will prevent you from mapping the triggers in game to anything requiring analog.
Every other button works properly and can be mapped in-game, just not the triggers.

First thing you want to do is find your CONFIG file in your Personal Folder.
Once you have found it, open it with Notepad++ so we can edit a few things.

This is what my config looks like, I have the R2(axis 4) as Throttle, L2(axis 3) as Front brake.

Code: Select all

throttle_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)WirelessController axis 4
front_brake_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)WirelessController axis 3
rear_brake_key=(k)WirelessController button 0
left_key=(-0.062500,-0.937500)WirelessController axis 0
right_key=(0.062500,0.937500)WirelessController axis 0
clutch_key=(k)WirelessController button 4
upshift_key=(0.000000,-1.000000)WirelessController axis 5
downshift_key=(-0.000000,1.000000)WirelessController axis 5
dab_key=(k)WirelessController button 1
back_up_key=(k)WirelessController button 2
lean_forward_key=(-0.000000,1.000000)WirelessController axis 1
lean_backward_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)WirelessController axis 1
pause_key=(k)WirelessController button 13
So basically, remember that Axis 4 is the Right Trigger and Axis 3 is the Left Trigger.
That way you can map them wherever you want instead of just copy/pasting mine.

**!Analog Sensitivity!**
I noticed that some people who have tried the DS4 say that the "range of movement" or the sensitivity of
both the sticks and triggers are lesser than that of the DS3/X360 controllers. I can assure you that this is FALSE.
This controller has a much wider range of sensitivity that any other controller I've used. It all comes down to the
parameter is tied to the axis it the config.

Here is an example of the X360 parameters.

throttle_key=(-0.062500,-0.937500)Controller(Xbox360WirelessReceiverforWindows) axis 2
Notice how the parameters are (-0.062500,-0.937500). (No Throttle, Full Throttle)
Because X360 uses Xinput, these parameters are fine for MXS, but the DS4 is going to deal with 1's and 0's.
We need to change (-0.062500,-0.937500) to (-1.000000,1.000000). -1 to 1 is the full range on both the analog sticks and triggers.
Make sure to apply these parameters to every axis in the config, then test in game.

Great! Now your DualShock 4 is ready to use with your PC and MXS!
Any game supporting Directinput will be able to use this controller, but you might have to find that
specific games' config to do the analog triggers.

As far as Xinput games, there is a program called x360ce that allows any controller
to be emulated as an X360 controller. I've never used the program yet, so unfortunately I can't go
into any detail on how it works. Here is the link: https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
If there is a demand for an x360ce FAQ I will get familiar with it and make one.
Otherwise enjoy the best PC controller ever!! (besides kb/m XD)
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: FAQ: DualShock4 on PC (Mapping for MXS)

Post by Pumaxcs »

If there was a like button I'd be pushing it. Great post and thanks for the info.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Lynch
Team: Atlas Technologies

Post by Lynch »

Thanks, the ps4 controller is so nice :)
BuryYourHead707

Pumaxcs wrote:If there was a like button I'd be pushing it. Great post and thanks for the info.
Lynch wrote:Thanks, the ps4 controller is so nice :)
I'm glad it works for you guys, and that you both enjoy it!
I know I do. It took me about 30 min to figure it all out, so I figured I should post my findings so that no one else
would have to feel my pain :wink:

How do you guys feel about the triggers?
I feel like I have way more control compared to my X360 pad. On par with using the analog stick for gas/brake if you ask me.
mxmadman374
Team: Privateer

Post by mxmadman374 »

I've heard that the analog sticks are not as good as the ds3 controller, which is what I currently use. I use them for leaning only (forward, backward, left, and right).

Care to comment on that? Do you recommend upgrading?
bondsmx
Team: privateer

Post by bondsmx »

If you have heard anything negative about the ps4 controller, it would be false. I think the the controller is excellent.

I made a thread about the ps4 controller last Friday, super pumped someone figured it out. Can't wait to try it. Thank you for this!!!
Race Bonds #203
mxmadman374

Post by mxmadman374 »

Double post, but I found the post referring to the faulty analog sticks, and it looks like you've found a fix for it already.

Still curious though if you think its worth it. I may not get a ps4 at all.
BuryYourHead707

If you're coming from the DualShock 3 controller, then yes I believe that the DS4 is a HUGE improvement.
Ergonomics, sensitivity, looks.... You name it and it's better on the DS4.
Plus you don't have to use MontionJoy. (malware btw)
Also, if you have a Bluetooth-Capable PC, you can sync it wirelessly without hassle, and it doesn't require a specific BT dongle like the DS3 does.

I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon, if ever. As far as if this purchase was worth it for PC alone, totally.
Do yourself a favor, go to GameStop, and try out the PS4 demo Kiosk. See if you like the feel of the controller, if so, purchase it knowing that every technical aspect is far superior than any other controller on the market.

Cheers.
mxmadman374

Post by mxmadman374 »

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. If it were possible, you'd have just earned some commission lol.

And this brings the total to $200 spent on controllers solely for mxs in under a year...
BuryYourHead707

mxmadman374 wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful reply. If it were possible, you'd have just earned some commission lol.

And this brings the total to $200 spent on controllers solely for mxs in under a year...
No problem. I'd say you're crazy for spending $200 on controllers, but... MXS is so worth it. :D

Cheers
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

If you don't use the sticks for throttle, the controller is fine. If you do, you have to reduce the upper and lower bounds on the axis. I'm still playing around trying to find a good value, I think .8-.85 is pretty close.
PELSTER491

Post by PELSTER491 »

i dont have a config file in my folder????
BuryYourHead707

PELSTER491 wrote:i dont have a config file in my folder????
Are you checking your Personal Folder or the installation directory?
The config file will be located in your Personal folder as a text document.
podium1

Post by podium1 »

BuryYourHead707 wrote:This FAQ will explain to you the different options you have connecting your DS4
Let's get started!

First you want to press and hold the "SHARE" button, then press and hold the "PS" button also
Once your controller is blinking, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers >
"Wireless Controller" should pop-up in the list of devices to add, so add that and wait for the drivers to be done installing.
When you're done using the controller, either hold the PS until the white light turns off, or disable the Bluetooth stack.

Now that we have the DS4 connected to our PC, we need to set it up properly for MXS. (That's why we got it right?!)

Because the DS4 doesn't have an official driver, or Xinput support, it uses DirectInput.
This will prevent you from mapping the triggers in game to anything requiring analog.
Every other button works properly and can be mapped in-game, just not the triggers.

This is what my config looks like, I have the R2(axis 4) as Throttle, L2(axis 3) as Front brake.

So basically, remember that Axis 4 is the Right Trigger and Axis 3 is the Left Trigger.

**!Analog Sensitivity!**
I noticed that some people who have tried the DS4 say that the "range of movement" or the sensitivity of
both the sticks and triggers are lesser than that of the DS3/X360 controllers. I can assure you that this is FALSE.
This controller has a much wider range of sensitivity that any other controller I've used. It all comes down to the

throttle_key=(-0.062500,-0.937500)Controller(Xbox360WirelessReceiverforWindows) axis 2
Notice how the parameters are (-0.062500,-0.937500). (No Throttle, Full Throttle)
Because X360 uses Xinput, these parameters are fine for MXS, but the DS4 is going to deal with 1's and 0's.
We need to change (-0.062500,-0.937500) to (-1.000000,1.000000). -1 to 1 is the full range on both the analog sticks and triggers.
Make sure to apply these parameters to every axis in the config, then test in game.

Any game supporting Directinput will be able to use this controller, but you might have to find that

As far as Xinput games, there is a program called x360ce that allows any controller
to be emulated as an X360 controller. I've never used the program yet, so unfortunately I can't go
into any detail on how it works. Here is the link: https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
If there is a demand for an x360ce FAQ I will get familiar with it and make one.
man I swear some posts these days could fill up a Bible :roll:
"Games fuckin Broken" -Dmull
BuryYourHead707

podium1 wrote:
BuryYourHead707 wrote:This FAQ will explain to you the different options you have connecting your DS4
Let's get started!

**!Analog Sensitivity!**

man I swear some posts these days could fill up a Bible :roll:
Is that an issue man? I posted all of that information to help people... That's why it is titled as a "FAQ".