more visability.....

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Norcal_51
Team: MotoStar Racing

Re: more visability.....

Post by Norcal_51 »

yes it definatly is.... and evry other racing game out there.. "including simualators" has the look back function.. just gives a better feel for your position and surroundings...
bigbuckboy95

Post by bigbuckboy95 »

Norcal_51 wrote:i was just noticing the lack of visability in this game and i had an idea.. what if JLV added a feature that would let you PAN the camera left to right? this would especially help with helmet cam riders.. and also a look back feature... it would really help with knowing whats going on behind and next to you so everything doesnt happen so blindly... and thoughts?
that is a great idea!
WhMx179
Team: Privateer

Post by WhMx179 »

yeah if you could turn your head left and right ingame to look around in helmetcam that would be amazing!!!
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

This has already been suggested in the "suggestion" thread where it was lost forever, such as advanced techniques like supporting head tracking software like TRACKIR as well as head panning.

However the fastest and easiest fix that should literally take jlv 30 minutes max would be to ENABLE INPUT MAPPING OF 1ST/3RD PERSON CAMERA. Config that into your gamepad and bingo instant side views with limited rear view.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Just moving the camera would be easy. Making the rider's head turn in multiplayer and recorded demos would require changing the protocol to include the head position. Not hard to do, but maybe not worth adding an extra byte to every state update? It would increase the bandwidth needed by 2.5%.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yomo

Post by yomo »

What do you mean every state?

As in the head is straight, 30 degree from straight, 60 degrees, 90 degrees

that would be an extra 3 bytes? and 2.5% extra bandwidth needed
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

jlv wrote:Just moving the camera would be easy. Making the rider's head turn in multiplayer and recorded demos would require changing the protocol to include the head position. Not hard to do, but maybe not worth adding an extra byte to every state update? It would increase the bandwidth needed by 2.5%.
but dude...making the guys head turn would be amazing!!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

yomo wrote:What do you mean every state?

As in the head is straight, 30 degree from straight, 60 degrees, 90 degrees

that would be an extra 3 bytes? and 2.5% extra bandwidth needed
The state has the positions and orientations of the bike and rider, the steering angle, suspension positions, wheel positions, motor rpms, throttle setting and gear. It's 39 bytes right now. Head angle would be one more byte. Not a huge deal but I want to keep the bike state as lean a possible.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yomo

Post by yomo »

Oh ok i understand.

What is the advantage of keeping it small? Surely its not to save people an extra byte to download?

As for the bandwidth could we alteast have it during single player and then maybe the server choose whether to allow it dependant on the amount of riders they want to be in the server etc...
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I think a main reason for having the head turning would be to use for online, then people could see how close people are behind them, if someone is going brake late and tap them to change their line ect.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
yomo

Post by yomo »

Actually that is a pretty good point... ahaha

How would you choose what side to turn your head?
02CRF450R

Post by 02CRF450R »

I would LOVE it if MXS supported TrackIR (head movement tracking to turn the viewpoint). It'd be crazily immersive. Looking down over jumps and back in the air and looking up to see thru tight corners when you've really got the bike laid over. Works really well on other hardcore sims like Live For Speed and Arma 2...
4-stroke induced bankruptee.
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

just do front or backflips to check things out or listen to the sound of the engine of your opponent :P.

It works so good with me that they sometime's are so irritated that they call me a noob xD
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I don't think people in real life do front and backflips to see where people are behind them when they can turn their head... I think the head movement could be cool on an analog, or a button if you don't have a controller.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
DJD

Post by DJD »

Being able to look around would be ultra cool.

I dont know how hard it would be to get the head to actually turn with the camera, but it would be really cool for screens and gameplay.

I would love to be able to throw a intimidating Lookback whip! :P