'Mx-Bikes' (General Thoughts)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: 'Mx-Bikes' (General Thoughts)

Post by Phathry25 »

Boblob801 wrote:(Keep in mind there is 1000's of people that don't buy the game because of (shitty graphics), possibly more)
You can't honestly believe that.

If you want to buy a game for graphics you spend $60 on an A+ title, not $42 on an indie simulator. You're expectations are unrealistic.
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Although there's plenty of indie game with good graphics. Plus wouldn't you think the high price point of 42 should have a littl more to back it up as it is an indie game?

Shit I think JLV still needs to get the game in steam that's gonna sell him more copies than any improvement he could make to the game.
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
Del
Team: Dubmoto

Post by Del »

AWood wrote:Shit I think JLV still needs to get the game in steam that's gonna sell him more copies than any improvement he could make to the game.
I think that's true. But I don't know if he really wants the crowd that that will bring in. I would have thought he would have submitted it to Greenlight by now if he wanted it on Steam.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

AWood wrote:It all depends on the type of game and development structure. I'm going to compare it again to minecraft, in which it was started by one person, and you buy the game to play it as the developer release snapshots and updates to the game. Just in my opinion, the word "Beta" should be in front of the 1.9 at this moment. This style of game normally isn't ever truly finished. With constant updates, and that's kind of the promise between the developer and the players. I'm sure some point in time jlv said here's the game, I'm going to continue to update this, this is not the final product. And I don't think it is anywhere close yet. I'd love to see more. And beta 1.9 makes it a little bit more correct sounding. I mean like minecraft even after the official release was finished. They're back at like 1.7.3 and still release weekly snapshots with big fixes. (Granted they are a company now, but in the beginning it was the same as JLV.) and I know the moto community is not big enough for him to get rich off it, but notch realized what he had and quit his job to developer full time. If only we could have JLV do that this game would be amazing :P lol.

Anyways, point is, most of he players here know, and JLV too (and I'm pretty sure he's stated it somewhere) that this game is not finished. And we were told somewhere that it would continue to get updates. We paid 42 for the future of the game, not thinking of everything after as a bonus. Which I mean it still is a bonus. :) hell most people just bought the game for rF :D

I just hope we can get more as this game as consumed more of my time over any other game except old CoD and counter strikes :)
I promise you if MXS starts making $200k a day and breaks Paypal like Minecraft, I'll hire a huge team for MXS.

As far as when I thought the game was done, I'd say MX Simulator was the most complete motocross game ever made when it hit version 1.2. At that point it had a complete motorcycle model with working throttle, clutch, flywheel effect, transmission, suspension, physics / gyroscopic dynamics and it supported multiplayer with 40 riders. There wasn't another MX game out there that had a single one of those features and MX Sim did it all. (I know other games claimed to do some of that stuff, but nothing I'm aware of actually worked right.)

When you say it's not finished, what you really mean is it's not *perfect*. I agree with that, but it'll never be perfect.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

Phathry25 wrote:
Boblob801 wrote:(Keep in mind there is 1000's of people that don't buy the game because of (shitty graphics), possibly more)
You can't honestly believe that.

If you want to buy a game for graphics you spend $60 on an A+ title, not $42 on an indie simulator. You're expectations are unrealistic.
Yeah you pretty much narrowed it down for me, I didn't want to be so blunt but yes. I for one didn't want to get this game due to the graphics, sounds and general featureless issue's. After a lot of input from James, Josh, Jonathen and others I was persuaded. I know a lot of people think like me as I know of 20 people (all of which I showed this game) didn't like it for what you stated and thats just my friends there's 1000000's of other people in the world hence why 1000 sounds "realistic". Keep in mind those A+ title's cost around $20 after 6 years.
Hi
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

So explain why minecraft is so successful but looks and sounds so shitty? Oh right. It's about the gameplay. You buy MXS for the gameplay, not the graphics. If your friends can't see past the graphics they aren't the kind of people who will enjoy the game. They're better off saving that money.

The a+ titles aren't still being developed 6 years later. Take COD for example. You would have to buy 6x$60 updates over that same time span. $360 or $42, which is a better deal?

Here comes the part where you tell me COD is a better deal.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

jlv wrote:I promise you if MXS starts making $200k a day and breaks Paypal like Minecraft, I'll hire a huge team for MXS.
Here's to hoping I'm on the short list! :lol:
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

Phathry25 wrote:The a+ titles aren't still being developed 6 years later. Take COD for example. You would have to buy 6x$60 updates over that same time span. $360 or $42, which is a better deal?
This is a horrible argument. If wikipedia can be trusted 100 people were in on the development of COD4 over the course of 2 years. To be fair I will say 50 people worked on it full time (40 hours a week). That is 208000 man hours that went into the game before they sold a single copy. Now JLV has been working on this game for what, 6 years (judging by what has been said in this thread I think this is true) and just for the sake of argument I will say for 40 hours a week just like the COD guys. That is 12480 man hours. To be fair console games generally go for what $70 and this was $42 so this game should have 60% of the development so if JLV worked on it for 40 hours a week every week of the year it would only take him 60 years to put in the same amount of time vs. game cost as a 50 person team would put in over the course of 2 years.

JLV you got 54 years left in you?

Not saying that I think that it was a bad deal, I have spent quite a bit of time dicking around with the game and I think it was worth it. Community generated content is really the main seller IMO and JLV has given us a good system for most of the stuff. Also, its obviously much different for a huge studio vs. JLV working in his basement (ok I made the basement part up...Or did I).
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

wheels1758 wrote:
jlv wrote:I promise you if MXS starts making $200k a day and breaks Paypal like Minecraft, I'll hire a huge team for MXS.
Here's to hoping I'm on the short list! :lol:
You really are pretty sharp. Not many people can just jump from language to language like it's nothing.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

SMR 510RR wrote:tl;dr
If anything you've just further proven my point. For what the game is, the most complete MX game ever created, made by one person as a hobby, it's pretty damn impressive. And yet here are some people saying that's not enough and demanding more.

But then again the game has only been successful because he forced people to make tracks and bikes for the game.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

Phathry25 wrote:The a+ titles aren't still being developed 6 years later.
I don't get it, so you agree with me?
I thought we didn't buy the game for the constant updates?????

Comparing the minecraft graphics to mxs isn't the same. If minecraft looked amazing do you think it would have sold as much as it did??? People like it for the simplicity, there are a number of mods that make it look real but not many people run them, simplicity isn't something mxs should go by. If I wanted simplicity I would play some lowcut shitty graphic mx game on my phone.
Hi
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Post by Sib43 »

If you want to get more to buy this game, the game should be easier to play. I mean there a 1000s of ppl out there who enjoy playing computer games but barely have time for it.

In MXSim you need weeks/months to can even ride 1 lap slowly without crashing. Probably +5 of my dirtbike friends tried it like 2mins and said WTF is going on. So they never came back.

I like the style tho because this is what it makes it challenging but I think I'm feeling the same as my friends when I ride the new SX Tracks these days.
ChrisK
Team: Privateer

Post by ChrisK »

Also Need a fixed stability Setup.

paplius said it in mx bikes Forum
This game looks sick but I hope that it shouldn't follow the way that MXSimulator did in the past. I mean, if the key to be the fastest rider is a stability setup it will be frustrating for players.

In the real life it's all up to you, yo can't play with the gravity effects, maybe that speed to lean would be nice, I understand that each player has a different feeling. But in MXSimulator there are many options that people don't know how it works. Same with the rider damping and spring, the game is way different depending on the setup you choose.

I think that those physics details are more important than tear off, crashes effects or mobile objects. The most important ability of a motocross rider is his own body control, fitness and mentality. So, the most important thing in a game would be the fingers control and mentality, not the numbers in a stability setup.
mbork-1
Team: NOTEAM

Post by mbork-1 »

Thats why i always rode with stock advanced stabillity setup.^
3rd MX2 EMF - AX Series 2011
2nd MX1 BMF - Friday Night Series 2012
1st MX3 - EMXs
8th MX1 EMF - MX Series 2012
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I think I'd love to see JLV get rid of most of the shit in the Advanced Menu.

Racing would be so much closer and would make way more people fast, how can you say no to that?
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com