Landing Sensitivity (all aspects)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
BoNalls

Landing Sensitivity (all aspects)

Post by BoNalls »

Thought i would start a discussion on the landing sensitivity that we are currently experiencing. There are a few things i would like to discuss.

First of all, there is really no vertical landing sensitivity in the game. You can launch off a hill and be 50-60ft in the air and flatland on the incline of another hill and ride away, aslong as you land straight on. This definetly needs to be refined a bit. Im sure this can be more defined when suspension physics are improved a bit. An easy way to make this happen is that when you exceed a certain threshold of suspension compression, you will crash. An even easier way to do this is by setting a vertical geforce limit on landings.

Secondly, i feel there needs to be a bit of forgiveness when landing somewhat sideways. I ride in real life, used to race when i was younger and was pretty competitive. I would say that probably 25% of my landings the bike was not perfectly straight on and i could easily ride away from it. Surely if the bike is more than 45degrees from straight, then you will have a hell of a time pulling a landing off, but i think anywhere between straight on and 20 degrees there should be no problem.

JLV, what are your thoughts on these issues?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I'm not too worried about being too forgiving on the long jumps. There is real life evidence of people surviving huge impacts and riding on. You've probably seen this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_0lHnx7tw. I've also seen photos of Guy Cooper jumping so high that he pulls the spokes out of the rim.

What does bother me is that sometimes it's fastest to just overjump everything. I know Ricky Carmichael does it sometimes, but realistically you would beat yourself to a pulp riding like that. I've thought about putting in a fatigue factor that goes up when you take a big impact. As the fatigue goes up, rider's ability to stand up and steer would weaken. The end result would be you could take a big hit every once in a while, but not on every single jump.

I probably won't do that right away but it is something I've thought about.

As for being less finicky about landing sideways, I had thought it was fairly natural the way it is. But I was always scared to land sideways in real life...

Is it better or worse with more stability?
JES_934
Team: TMFactoryRacing.com

Post by JES_934 »

I think the fatigue factor is an absolute brilliant idea. It would cut down on the constant overjumping and reward those who have mastered the art of riding smooth. I think it would be a shame not to put somehthing like a fatigue meter for overjumping in this game.
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Post by rewrew421 »

yes i too agree, If you add a career mode go through the career urning money then have 3-5 little practice type tracks and the more you ride them in "Training" more stamina your rider gets= less fatigue. also i think a injury system might be exciting, would keep people from going balls out all the time, you get injured you miss the rest of the season or just the 2nd moto depending on severity. When your injured it doesnt prevent you from playing just simply fast forward time in the game to a later date
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
JES_934
Team: TMFactoryRacing.com

Post by JES_934 »

Nice idea Rew!