Question/Feedback on my Laptop

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
zamboni
Team: Privateer

Question/Feedback on my Laptop

Post by zamboni »

Hey guys, I have a question or two about my laptop. Its an Asus N53S, with an i7 2670 QM, 2.2Ghz, a nvidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB graphics card, and 6GB memory with a 750gb HDD. I get around 30-50 fps tops on the 3 new 2014 outdoor tracks in single player mode, but when I went to race online at hangtown for the am race, my fps went to 9 and didnt move from there. I had to quit from the lag being too much. I play with the graphics settings on High FPS, which obviously isn't much help when I am trying to race online with 40 people. I also use an ethernet cable hooked up to my router, which actually helped a lot when trying to qualify during the supercross season (I could comfortably race online with ~10 people in the server). I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about ram, graphics cards, processors, etc. My dad thinks that if i go into a computer shop or best buy and purchase more memory for the laptop (i think thats what he suggested) would be a cheaper way to maybe help increase laptop performance while racing online. I was wondering if any computer savvy folks would guide me in the right direction to helping me solve my problem. I also have a desktop mac and a new macbook pro that i could possibly run sim on, but i tried it back in 2012 when i got the game, and the whole crossover stuff just bugs the hell out of me, and i never got my xbox 360 controller to properly work with the mac. If all hope is lost for my laptop, another option is to always sell it, and use pc part picker to build a solid pc, which i would also need help doing so. I appreciate any feedback and help in advance.

-Nick
mxmadman374

Re: Question/Feedback on my Laptop

Post by mxmadman374 »

Well, I disagree with your dad, because I don't think dropping money on memory is going to help you here.

Instead I suggest doing the model quality a few points in the advanced graphics options.

Since you only have issues with a lot of riders on track, letting the quality of each of their bikes should help. Test it out on a packed server (the pro motocross tomorrow is a good time to do it) and keep lowering those sliders until it works.
zamboni

Post by zamboni »

mxmadman374 wrote:Well, I disagree with your dad, because I don't think dropping money on memory is going to help you here.

Instead I suggest doing the model quality a few points in the advanced graphics options.

Since you only have issues with a lot of riders on track, letting the quality of each of their bikes should help. Test it out on a packed server (the pro motocross tomorrow is a good time to do it) and keep lowering those sliders until it works.
thanks for the quick response, did as you suggested and slid my model quality sliders down to 10 and 1. Hopped into 19802 and it had 27 riders at thunder valley, and I pulled 16 fps. It was an improvement, but nothing substantial. :evil: Still super laggy and frustrating...
mxmadman374

Post by mxmadman374 »

zamboni wrote:
mxmadman374 wrote:Well, I disagree with your dad, because I don't think dropping money on memory is going to help you here.

thanks for the quick response, did as you suggested and slid my model quality sliders down to 10 and 1. Hopped into 19802 and it had 27 riders at thunder valley, and I pulled 16 fps. It was an improvement, but nothing substantial. :evil: Still super laggy and frustrating...
Try it with the texture sliders and such as well. Do you download a lot of skins/models? The ones created here are normally high poly and more demanding (than really they ought to be in many cases).

I'm surprised you even understood my post, typing from a phone at work so it replaces words and I don't catch it.

At any rate, if you do decide to buy memory, hold on to the receipt in case you get no improvement! :wink:
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You might do better on "Normal" than "High FPS". "High FPS" disables shaders, but they can actually speed things up if you have a decent graphics processor. Another thing to try is changing the power management setting in the Windows Control Panel to "high performance". A lot of laptops will use the integrated GPU if you don't do that.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

zamboni wrote:Hey guys, I have a question or two about my laptop. Its an Asus N53S, with an i7 2670 QM, 2.2Ghz, a nvidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB graphics card, and 6GB memory with a 750gb HDD. I get around 30-50 fps tops on the 3 new 2014 outdoor tracks in single player mode, but when I went to race online at hangtown for the am race, my fps went to 9 and didnt move from there. I had to quit from the lag being too much. I play with the graphics settings on High FPS, which obviously isn't much help when I am trying to race online with 40 people. I also use an ethernet cable hooked up to my router, which actually helped a lot when trying to qualify during the supercross season (I could comfortably race online with ~10 people in the server). I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about ram, graphics cards, processors, etc. My dad thinks that if i go into a computer shop or best buy and purchase more memory for the laptop (i think thats what he suggested) would be a cheaper way to maybe help increase laptop performance while racing online. I was wondering if any computer savvy folks would guide me in the right direction to helping me solve my problem. I also have a desktop mac and a new macbook pro that i could possibly run sim on, but i tried it back in 2012 when i got the game, and the whole crossover stuff just bugs the hell out of me, and i never got my xbox 360 controller to properly work with the mac. If all hope is lost for my laptop, another option is to always sell it, and use pc part picker to build a solid pc, which i would also need help doing so. I appreciate any feedback and help in advance.

-Nick
Delete all extra skins + use the low res tracks, and it should be able to run just fine I guess on your laptop. Second option should be lowering your resolution. If that doesn't help you maybe should clean your laptop. Just check MSCONFIG (type it in the search) if you are starting up your laptop with 10.000 unnecessary background programs :lol:, run an advance security scan, delete bullshit programs; let dropbox, skype, etc. not start on boot; start the game on a fresh boot.

And always, check if you have the newest drivers installed.
zamboni

Post by zamboni »

jlv wrote:You might do better on "Normal" than "High FPS". "High FPS" disables shaders, but they can actually speed things up if you have a decent graphics processor. Another thing to try is changing the power management setting in the Windows Control Panel to "high performance". A lot of laptops will use the integrated GPU if you don't do that.
thanks for the responses! but anyways, jlv i tried the normal setting and compatible settings and only got around 8 fps online in 19802. went to the control panel and switched on high performance power management and that helped a little, will keep that on for good while playing. Then i went back to what mxmadman suggested, and was playing with the model sliders, and realized that turning it down from 10 to 3 resulted in a huge fps jump, now im pulling mid 40s online with a few riders. Thanks for the feedback, I will try racing this sunday for am night and ill let you guys know how it goes with the computer performance. *fingers crossed* lol