linux help

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
motocross_will

linux help

Post by motocross_will »

what program can i use to download tracks and gear for linux?? i am on a major budget and i could save 90 dollars using linux so two questions. Is linux worth it like should i spend the extra 90 dollars for windows? Second question what program do i download to get tracks and gear and all that jazz?? Thanks for the help

Also i know i have been posting a lot about a PC i am going to get i just dont know much about computers or anything. Thanks :D :D :D
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Re: linux help

Post by LKR47 »

Well first off it sounds like youre gonna buy a linux distro which I dont recomend. If youre going linux use Ubuntu or Mint. When I used linux I used winrar like you would on windows. I couldnt get my controller setup and working correctly using motion joy so I just went ahead and bought windows. Linux is great for developement and things but I would really consider finding $90 extra for windows. Hope I could help :)
motocross_will

Post by motocross_will »

I am going with Linux Ubuntu
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Going with Linux and not knowing much about computers is an odd choice. Do you know much about Ubuntu and how the UI works?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Pumaxcs wrote:Going with Linux and not knowing much about computers is an odd choice. Do you know much about Ubuntu and how the UI works?
I strongly agree with this. Linux is a very complicated os and is a huge learning curve.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

LKR47 wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:Going with Linux and not knowing much about computers is an odd choice. Do you know much about Ubuntu and how the UI works?
I strongly agree with this. Linux is a very complicated os and is a huge learning curve.
Fedora isn't too bad as far as button-click operation is concerned. I don't have experience with other Linux distro's, but for web surfing and mx sim playing, it's not much different than windows.
Shanasman450
Team: Privateer

Post by Shanasman450 »

I know this is years late, but I'm hunting the same info the OP was. Not sure how I would install tracks and skin on linux when most, if not all, the custom tracks/skins I've seen are in an saf file. What I see here however is people bashing the guys choice to use linux rather than helping him. Honestly it's not that difficult. Windows is a huge learning curve for someone who's never used it. Honestly I find linux easier to use in many cases.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Unzip/extract (however you like it), then it should be placed in ~/mxsimulator/
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Personal folder on Linux is "~/.mxsimulator".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.