Any tips on whoops?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
AY-DAY256
Team: Panty Dropperz KTM

Any tips on whoops?

Post by AY-DAY256 »

Probably my biggest weak spot in supercross/arenacross. I've tried the real life approach and run in there leaning back in high gear and I always end up either going through them but coming into the corner to hot or sending it. I've tried low gear and more of a controlled throttle but that's even worse. I can't figure out how the fuck I'm suppose to do them in this game, so if anyone has any tips for me, I'd be appreciative. If anyone has a demo of an rF supercross race of this year, please link it for me so I can watch the pros do em. thanks a bunch sluts :wink:
mxmadman374
Team: Privateer

Re: Any tips on whoops?

Post by mxmadman374 »

Well a few tips may help you. First up, leaning back when you don't have to can have bad consequences. A lot of folks lean back more than they should.

The goal is to keep your bike as level as possible and to skim the top of each whoop with both tires. If your front or back wheel misses a whoop you'll probably be on the ground (you can normally jump over a few in the beginning, but once you're in the whoop patch you don't want to miss any).

You achieve this with throttle control and leaning back the right amount at the right time, which all depends on the conditions.

Again: stay level, tap front and back wheel on each whoop, and you should be in control. Good luck
AY-DAY256

Post by AY-DAY256 »

Thanks for the helpful tips, but what about gearing?
mxmadman374

Post by mxmadman374 »

AY-DAY256 wrote:Thanks for the helpful tips, but what about gearing?
Well i wouldn't change your gearing setup just for whoops, so I'll just talk about gear selection.

I only ride 450 and for most sx whoops I'm in second gear, but the concept is what's important.

It goes back to my last post and staying level. You want to be at a constant high rpm. High rpm keeps your front wheel light. You want a constant (or smooth) rpm because changes in acceleration or will cause sudden weight transfers forward or back which ends badly.

Let me know if you need clarification, wrote this on my phone at work with interruptions
Uollie

Post by Uollie »

Only thing I'd add to that, is of course line yourself up properly and upon entering the whoop pad, concentrate on making your front tire hit the top of the whoop you choose and keep your momentum steady. The rest is staying in that balance and you just start getting a feel for how you should transfer your weight around if you get a little squirrely.

On a 250f I also stay in 2nd or 3rd and when I'm close to the end I let shift down and compensate with a little higher revs to keep my momentum going but the engine braking helps to slow down for the corner ahead... It just takes a lot of attempts of doing it...
Holt_619
Team: FlowTech Racing

Post by Holt_619 »

Uollie wrote:Only thing I'd add to that, is of course line yourself up properly and upon entering the whoop pad, concentrate on making your front tire hit the top of the whoop you choose and keep your momentum steady.
I think this is honestly the key to whoops when you are first learning how to do them. Entering them level and straight is really important until you get super comfortable with them and then you will pretty much just be able to tell what you need to do to get through them from any angle. Make sure you are always coming into the section stable and straight because it can sometimes be really difficult to remember to do that when you are focused on trying to get through them. Also the things others have said about keeping the bike level instead of just leaning back no matter what is a good tip.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Too soft on your suspension can be a killer too. I noticed that stiffer springs/compression damping helps, but technique comes first.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
al167

Post by al167 »

you HAVE to use manual transmission, and try first gear flat out. and don't lean back or forward until you master it. set rear spring setting to 20. and front rear rebound damping 70.
once your better you will learn better techniques to go faster, but what you want to do is get through them consistent every lap without crashing, then work on speed.
BraapBraap

Post by BraapBraap »

I notice with my setup, if I pin it first gear and touch nothing on my controller but the throttle of course. I have the best results.
Will Johns | Privateer
Grip'n'Rip
Team: AirTech Decals

Post by Grip'n'Rip »

depends on your setup try to jack your body back if not try to jack your throttle if still not then try both and if finally nothing happens then i suggest you changing setup
Join my Team speak which is full of happy players brandontippins.servequake.com
Making free HD Renders for free! Message me if you need one!
Subscribe to my channel! http://youtube.com/thehertfullgamer
AY-DAY256

Post by AY-DAY256 »

thanks for all the advice guys 8)