What Laptop

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
codman424
Team: Privateer

What Laptop

Post by codman424 »

Hi im buying a laptop and I was wondering if the MSI GS60 Ghost was a good one as in is the cpu a good one for the game
SMR 510RR

Re: What Laptop

Post by SMR 510RR »

Should play it very nicely. I have a MSI from a few years ago and it is still going strong and plays MXS fine although I have build a desktop in the meantime.
codman424

Post by codman424 »

Well my last one was terrible but it was a dell I just wanted to make sure it was going to be all laggy and stuff
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

Unless you needed the mobility of it, I would build a desktop. But it's your choice, and that laptop would run Sim fine!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
MotoRockstar777

Post by MotoRockstar777 »

Get the laptop its awesome i have the same one. It's really thin and light.
codman424

Post by codman424 »

MotoRockstar777 wrote:Get the laptop its awesome i have the same one. It's really thin and light.
How long is the battery life and is the game smooth when your running it or is it laggy.
Jsemmens1997
Team: Stance Moto

Post by Jsemmens1997 »

Ive got an MSI GT60 and it works amazingly. :D :D
MotoRockstar777

Post by MotoRockstar777 »

codman424 wrote:
MotoRockstar777 wrote:Get the laptop its awesome i have the same one. It's really thin and light.
How long is the battery life and is the game smooth when your running it or is it laggy.
I always have it plugged in but i would say 3 or 4 hours. I havn't tried mx simulator yet but my other laptop had a nvidia 680m and it would run every track on highest settings so this one should too.

This one has a nvidia 870m here are benchmarks for a bunch of games.

Scroll way down http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 792.0.html
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

You will have to play games plugged in just so you know. If it is unplugged it downclocks the CPU and GPU because the battery would be worthless otherwise.
Jsemmens1997
Team: Stance Moto

Post by Jsemmens1997 »

SMR 510RR wrote:You will have to play games plugged in just so you know. If it is unplugged it downclocks the CPU and GPU because the battery would be worthless otherwise.
You do relize in the msi's you can change and set the fps limit, but your lappy will like last 2 or not even hours of game time :)
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

Jsemmens1997 wrote:
SMR 510RR wrote:You will have to play games plugged in just so you know. If it is unplugged it downclocks the CPU and GPU because the battery would be worthless otherwise.
You do relize in the msi's you can change and set the fps limit, but your lappy will like last 2 or not even hours of game time :)
My MSI is a little older (2-3 years) but it is the only one I have all the specs of because some of this stuff isn't listed. My battery is rated at 11.1v 7800mah or 87whr. My power supply is rated at 19V @ 9.5A or 180w. So lets say that full blast playing games I am pulling 75% of the PSU potential (seems reasonable) or 135w. My battery is only rated to deliver 87 watts for one hour before it is dead but I need 135w to play full blast. So, if the computer did not downclock to save power I could play for 38 minutes before the computer shut down. Your laptop is downclocking, it may not be noticeable depending on the game but for optimal results you will want to play with it plugged in.

It is of course possible that the newer ones are more efficient but generally to go faster you need more power. Since these newer CPUs and GPUs aren't going to sell if they are efficiency updates my guess is that they are both more efficient and more powerful and will end up using similar amounts of power to get more done if that makes sense.

My point is that anyone considering a laptop should know that they won't get the FPS they see on benchmarks for whatever laptop while it is unplugged. Even more they wont be able to go to a friends house and play for a few hours at those FPS without brining their power supply with them.