Move Personal Folder

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Acidreamer
Team: Privateer

Move Personal Folder

Post by Acidreamer »

Is there a way to move the personal folder to somewhere other than the C drive? I have MXS installed on a separate HDD and the personal folder is taking up too much space on my ssd.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Move Personal Folder

Post by jlv »

Most stuff can go in the install folder. The only things that need to be in the personal folder are files that the game writes to. (Screenshots, demos, and tracks you edit with the editor.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Acidreamer

Post by Acidreamer »

Even custom tracks and bikes? Those are what takes up so much room
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

You can use a symlink to set up a folder on whatever drive you want and have your personal folder referenced there. It's a pretty easy setup. It's sort of like making your personal folder on your C: drive a shortcut to a folder on another drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Acidreamer wrote:Even custom tracks and bikes? Those are what takes up so much room
Yes.
erle_vaughan

Post by erle_vaughan »

Has anyone got a list of which files need to be in the personal folder so i can move the rest to the install folder?

Thanks
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

erle_vaughan wrote:Has anyone got a list of which files need to be in the personal folder so i can move the rest to the install folder?

Thanks
Tracks you are working on, regkey, config and the folders keycams, demos and setups. Those are the ones I can think of right off of my head.
erle_vaughan

Post by erle_vaughan »

Awesome... Thanks I will give it a go.
erle_vaughan

Post by erle_vaughan »

This is what I got in my C:\ drive folder now

and this is how I got my D:\ drive folder

I put all the files in a folder called "DLC"

seems like there might be some tracks missing... I have only notice redbuddscreek didn't isn't in the list.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

erle_vaughan wrote:This is what I got in my C:\ drive folder now

and this is how I got my D:\ drive folder

I put all the files in a folder called "DLC"

seems like there might be some tracks missing... I have only notice redbuddscreek didn't isn't in the list.
Your personal (first image) folder looks good. The 2nd one you can't put everything into a "DLC" folder. Your tracks will not load properly and you'll never be able see other people's bikes. Put all of that in your normal sim D:\ folder to make it load correctly.
MX4EVER
Team: MXS-Concept.com

Post by MX4EVER »

Here's the best way to move your personal folder. KTM57 got it.

1/ Move your actual personal( which is actually in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\) where you want it to be (D:\). You need to move it, so now it doesn't exist anymore in the AppData.

2/ Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) and paste the following line after replacing YOUR_NAME with your profile name and the path in the D drive with the one you want :

Code: Select all

mklink /d /J "C:USERS\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" "D:\MX Simulator\DLC"
Type enter.
Have fun
Niko | Mouk Lab | Admin of MXS-Concept // MyMXB // MXBikes-Shop // among others. | YouTube
erle_vaughan

Post by erle_vaughan »

Here's the best way to move your personal folder. KTM57 got it.

1/ Move your actual personal( which is actually in C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\) where you want it to be (D:\). You need to move it, so now it doesn't exist anymore in the AppData.

2/ Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) and paste the following line after replacing YOUR_NAME with your profile name and the path in the D drive with the one you want :

CODE: SELECT ALL
mklink /d /J "C:USERS\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" "D:\MX Simulator\DLC"

Type enter.
Have fun
Thanks, bro, I have tried this several time and never had success in windows.

The method is working fine for me for now... other than redbuddscreek is still nowhere to be found.