Suspension Setup with /togglegraph - Sticking?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Suspension Setup with /togglegraph - Sticking?

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

For the first time in a while, I got bored and decided to start looking at the data that shows in the /togglegraph charts. I did this more often right after JLV implemented the feature, but it's been a minute since I've taken a look at it. Point being - I might just be misremembering how it used to work, but I feel like this is odd...

(FYI - in time trial in these screenshots)
This is immediately after dropping into TT, have not given any input to the controller. The bit circled in red is the time when I was "dropped" in:Image As you can see, after the initial suspension activity, I am now sitting at resting levels with no other input being applied.

This second one is what I'm interested in. In this picture, I have pinned the throttle just enough to get the bike moving, then slammed on the front brake until stopping. Once I stopped, I released all input to the controller: Image In this photo, the "drop in" to TT is circled in red, getting on the gas to move the bike in black, but the part I'm interested in is what the blue arrows point toward. It almost looks to me like the suspension never returns to it's static setting after jamming on the front brake - almost like it gets stuck. I have to imagine I'm misinterpreting this, so I would appreciate anyone who knows this much better than I to explain, but it just seems logically odd. In my mind, the suspension should have returned to the "default" levels seen in the first photograph.

Just to be sure, I did this with the rear brake, too: Image And at this point, I have no idea what is happening.

I'm clearly out of my depth here, but it terms of just basic logic, I would at least think the suspension levels (heights/positions) would return to "default" since I'm basically doing the same thing at the point of both blue arrows as I am in the first photograph. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on here?
Aggressively Mediocre Image
Dumbbelly29
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Re: Suspension Setup with /togglegraph - Sticking?

Post by Dumbbelly29 »

Subbing to this topic... i noticed my sus tends to sag for no reason, sometimes on the gate if i lean back whilst sitting it will compress and stay compressed even if i lean forward some voodoo magic definitely in play here
maggett
Team: Architech

Post by maggett »

when you drop into time trial i guess it thinks your on the start gate and the suspension is probably in different position to help with starts or something

if you play a race in single player and go off the start then watch the demo you can see the change in the swingarm and forks
2018 EMF EU 250SX East Coast Champion
Dumbbelly29
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Dumbbelly29 »

I have also had this happen if i case a jump, i will case something... bounce and then crashed from rider hitting the stop points or whatever when i should have stayed on almost as if my sus is locked, i'll try get some demos it happens often... its way past my landing damping timeout also
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

When you have "dab when stopped" on it'll also apply both brakes when you're stopped. Since the wheelbase changes as the suspension compresses, having both brakes on will make the suspension stick if the traction is high enough.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

jlv wrote:When you have "dab when stopped" on it'll also apply both brakes when you're stopped. Since the wheelbase changes as the suspension compresses, having both brakes on will make the suspension stick if the traction is high enough.
Is there a reason why this happens only when traction is high enough? I wouldn't think traction mattered at all when your just sitting still.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

If you were on a frictionless surface the wheels would slip instead of holding the suspension in. To correct what I wrote in the other post, the suspension isn't really sticking so much as the brakes are holding the wheels together which prevents the suspension from extending.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Prydz

Post by Prydz »

jlv wrote:If you were on a frictionless surface the wheels would slip instead of holding the suspension in. To correct what I wrote in the other post, the suspension isn't really sticking so much as the brakes are holding the wheels together which prevents the suspension from extending.
Is there any advantage to have dabbing on vs off?
Is there any advantage of running max dab speed?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

As far as suspension? No. The stopped wheels holding the suspension in place doesn't make any real difference once the brakes are off.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Dumbbelly29
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Dumbbelly29 »

Since turning off dab when stopped i haven't had the lock thing happen to me, i run both brakes on same button - im guessing this would explain the falls if i had pressed/was pressing the brake at the time of impact