Mxserver Tutorial

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Re: Mxserver Tutorial

Post by Joe »

ok thanks BR thats what I was wondering ill look into that

Thanks

Joe
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Joe Sawler wrote:Is there a way to host a server but not on your pc/conection like you would have to pay for it I would assume so how much would it be does anyone know ?
The absolute cheapest would be an unmanaged virtual private server (VPS). Unmanaged means you have to know how to administrate the system yourself. "Virtual private server" means you aren't getting the whole server, you're sharing it with other users. You still get root access though since the virtualization software gives you your own virtual machine. You can get that for $8/month from CoreNetworks. The $8 server has a 200 GB per month bandwidth limit, which would give you 44 hours if the server was maxing out a 10 mbit connection the whole time, but should be fine unless your server is really busy. My server averages 300 GB per month with 6 mxserver processes running.

The next higher priced option would be a managed VPS. Dreamhost has them for $24/month. I believe Dreamhost will help you administrate these servers.

For $30/month you can get an unmanaged dedicated server from CoreNetworks. This is what I use and it's probably overkill for this. I'm usually at less than 1% CPU. For higher prices you can get faster CPU's and more memory, but it would be a huge waste. The only upgrade I'm considering is switching to a 100 mbps connection.

Managed dedicated servers are usually very expensive. Most are over $100/month.

As far as disk space/memory/CPU goes, mxserver barely uses any. The only reason I use a dedicated server instead of a VPS is to guarantee the server responds as quickly as possible instead of having to wait for a virtual time slice. I asked some VPS hosts how much latency that would add and none of them would make any guarantees, so I just went with a dedicated server which wasn't too expensive thanks to CoreNetorks.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

oh so if I get a VPS it wont rune on my pc or my internet connection ( so I could have like more then 10 riders in the server and you said it is un managed so is it extremely hard to manage it?

thanks JLV for the help

Joe
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The VPS is running on a server at their datacenter. It doesn't depend on your computer/connection at all.

As far as the difficulty of managing the server, most people would think it's pretty hard. All you really need to know is how to open ports on your firewall. You also need to know how to transfer files and run commands with ssh, but you need to know that with a managed server too.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I updated the first post with a server template and instructions on what to do with it. STILL READ THE WHOLE TUTORIAL SO YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS!!!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
MX196
Team: Privateer

Post by MX196 »

Ok. So I have been trying to make a server, but when I seem to do everything right, when I try to connect it says something. It says this:

Contacting server
SERVERARGS

It says that over and over. What do I need to do?
MX196

Post by MX196 »

haha. Thats not what it says. It says WSAECONNESET
Zane_Mx#88

Post by Zane_Mx#88 »

If your firewall blocks it you need to get hamachi and connect to the server from there and run in thruogh your command prompt i think.
MX196

Post by MX196 »

MotosBestFriend88 wrote:If your firewall blocks it you need to get hamachi and connect to the server from there and run in thruogh your command prompt i think.
Ok. How do I set it up with Hamachi? (I already have it)
Zane_Mx#88

Post by Zane_Mx#88 »

Well, I know you have to have like a server name for hamachi, and a password, do you have that?
MX196

Post by MX196 »

Ill just pm you.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

MotosBestFriend88 wrote:If your firewall blocks it you need to get hamachi and connect to the server from there and run in thruogh your command prompt i think.
Or forward the ports in the firewall so it doesn't block it anymore ;).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
MX196

Post by MX196 »

yzmxer608 wrote:
Or forward the ports in the firewall so it doesn't block it anymore ;).
How do I do that?
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

yzmxer608 wrote:
  • A second possibility could be that you have to forward your router's ports for the port you are using for your server. To do this go to Port Forward. This website will NOT forward the ports for you, it will just tell you steps to take to do it. Find your router brand and model in the list, if you don't know the model take a look on your router and you should find a model number/name. That will take you to a page with the names of a bunch of programs, since the mxserver.exe is not listed just click some random program, we just need the directions for your router model.
  • Follow the directions until you get to the part where you enter the port forward parameters. When you get to that point select the UDP protocol and change it's port from 19800 to 19800 (or whatever port number you used in your args file). It doesn't matter what name you choose, I suggest mxserver so you will know which one it is later if you ever need to edit it. After that save the changes and you should be Ok.
MX196

Post by MX196 »

Ok. Since im not getting any of this, ive pmed someone who has made servers before. Just so I dont need to bother more people.