Mac install questions

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
nlettera

Mac install questions

Post by nlettera »

ok so I own a 2016 MacBook Pro that I use for school, and I want to partition some of my SSD just to play mx sim on windows. How many GBs of my hard drive should I partition to bootcamp if I am only going to be booting into windows to play mx sim?
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Re: Mac install questions

Post by LKR47 »

I would do 128. Windows takes 20 gb I think, and the extra 108 can be used for sim. If you want to play other games on that partition, I'd do at least 512.
nlettera

Post by nlettera »

Thanks for the reply. I might keep it 128 just for sim, because my SSD is only 256. I do have an external hard drive to use tho so I may partition more if I add other games on.
Ryanphillips
Team: Privateer

Post by Ryanphillips »

I'm using wine and installed fine. But it keeps freezing. The game never lags or anything. Just all of a sudden after a lap or two it freezes. Any suggestions? I want to play this game so bad and I'm super bummed I bought it and can't really play. I do understand that it isn't made for mac so I don't expect the world. But I do see people with no issues. I have an 2014 iMac so don't think it's a graphic issue. Maybe tho. Should I look into bootcamp instead of wine?
sapelgas431
Team: MadCape

Post by sapelgas431 »

You should look into Wineskin, I played on a mac with it for a few years without any issue.
André Santos
2015 Arenacross Champion | 2015/2016 EMF 450 SX 4th O/A | 2017 rF SX 250E 5th O/A
nlettera

Post by nlettera »

Is there any reason to use wineskin over bootcamp? Wouldn't using bootcamp make installing tracks and skins much easier as you are actually running and installing packs and other things in the windows OS? I feel like once bootcamp is set up it would make playing the game a smoother experience overall.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

nlettera wrote:Is there any reason to use wineskin over bootcamp? Wouldn't using bootcamp make installing tracks and skins much easier as you are actually running and installing packs and other things in the windows OS? I feel like once bootcamp is set up it would make playing the game a smoother experience overall.
Wine mirrors a windows drive so it would be just as easy to paste in UCC. I use wine on my mac when I need to play sim on the go and it works well, but you would get a bit more performance dual booting.
Ryanphillips

Post by Ryanphillips »

I believe I am using wine skin. It came with wine somehow. When it freezes it's saying initial corrupt something or another. Check for corrupt file or virus?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Delete these folders and reinstall:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MX Simulator
~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Local Settings/Application Data/MX Simulator

If that doesn't work, delete the entire ~/.wine folder and reinstall.

You want to get rid of all traces of any pirate versions that might have been installed before.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ryanphillips

Post by Ryanphillips »

i just deleted everything and installed crossover. it is working fine with that but its only a 14 day version. i did download wine from a site tagged on youtube video explaining how to do it. i don't know if that is how it happened? i guess i downloaded a pirate version. and i also entered the reg key that was in the email. i never saw that before lol. so that is probably why, i put in the one in the kids video. thank you a ton for your help.
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

If you decide to go back to wineskin after those 14 days there is a little tutorial on how to get it going. http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24623 It's from 2013 but I guess it still works. I'm on pc nowadays so I can't tell for sure.
Ryanphillips

Post by Ryanphillips »

Yea I deleted wine and reinstalled last night but there's still corrupt files somewhere. So I have to find them to completely remove and hoping that does the trick. But using crossover it's finally working great