Computer building or buying new

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
kawasaki22db
Team: Privateer

Computer building or buying new

Post by kawasaki22db »

What's up fellas so I have been playing sim on and off since around 2010 and in the last few months I've been very big into it now that I use a controller. My question is should I build up my computer or should I just buy a different one. My current computer is an hp pavilion a6400f I will post pictures of all my specs below. Or should I look I to buying a used gaming computer. I don't really have the money to spend on a brand new pre built or a whole lot to build in general. I would be looking to spend 400$ or less. Oh yeah by the way my old pc is still on integrated graphics. If you all could point me in a decent direction I would appreciate it a bunch!
I like dirt bikes and dirt bike accessories
kawasaki22db

Re: Computer building or buying new

Post by kawasaki22db »

Well I can't figure out how to put my pictures in here so I'll link the specs to here [urlhttps://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01390590/url]
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Wow, that is a good one. :lol:

It has a few options for CPU ranging from Pentiums to Core 2 Duo's so I'm guessing this was new around 06-07. Also RAM ranging from 3-8GB. If all your doing is MXS then the CPU is fine but if you are trying to play other games you'll find yourself limited by that.

To be able to figure out what you want to do, answer me this.

What games are you playing/see yourself playing?
How long do you want this to last?
Be honest, what kind of condition is it kept in? Smoker/hot room/dust?
Run a DxDiag and copy/paste the results here so I can see exactly what you have instead of guessing on the internals too, if you don't mind.

FYI just post URL's. The URL tag is for doing like what I did above to hotlink a word by doing word. Pictures, you take the hosting website and put the IMG tags on them like [img]directlink.jpg[/img]
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:Wow, that is a good one. :lol:

It has a few options for CPU ranging from Pentiums to Core 2 Duo's so I'm guessing this was new around 06-07. Also RAM ranging from 3-8GB. If all your doing is MXS then the CPU is fine but if you are trying to play other games you'll find yourself limited by that.

Run a DxDiag and copy/paste the results here so I can see exactly what you have instead of guessing on the internals too, if you don't mind.

FYI just post URL's. The URL tag is for doing like what I did above to hotlink a word by doing word. Pictures, you take the hosting website and put the IMG tags on them like [img]directlink.jpg[/img]
Thanks for the input. I only plan to play sim for the most part and it would only be a temporary thing for the most part. Probably only looking for a year or so. I just graduated college as a mechanic so I have alot of debt in tools at the moment lol. Up until this point it was only ever cleaned probably once a year because it was an old one my parents had after they upgraded so I decided to clean it all up. I did the dxdiag and it wont let me copy and paste directly from the window it is in. I have a copy from notepad if you want I can post that but its about 50 pages long.
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:Wow, that is a good one. :lol:

I also forgot to add now that it's in my hands it's kept clean in a clean cool room. I'm super ocd about keeping my stuff clean and dusted. And I only play mx sim on it because I usually stick to console for anything else.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Ok, it being so short term we can probably get away with a easy GPU upgrade and call it a day. Few things to verify before moving on though.

In the DxDiag.txt the first bit "System Information" is all I'm looking for, should be 20 or so lines. That is to verify the processor and RAM you have. Next, verify the power supply wattage output. The HP site says 250w so while that is small its borderline too small for an add-in card. The power supply should have a white sticker on it with abunch of non-sense but a pretty clear "###W" that will tell us. Also if you see any information about the output 12V would be really helpful as that is the power rail the GPU would use (take a picture of the sticker if you aren't sure and post it here). I'm afraid that it will be a cheap-o and may also need an upgrade which will make things a bit more difficult but, you being a mechanic not impossible.

What I'm thinking so others can share opinions if they want.
GPU - GTX 1050 ($125)
PSU - some EVGA 80+ Bronze 450w (~$30?)
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:Ok, it being so short term we can probably get away with a easy GPU upgrade and call it a day. Few things to verify before moving on though.

In the DxDiag.txt the first bit "System Information" is all I'm looking for, should be 20 or so lines. That is to verify the processor and RAM you have. Next, verify the power supply wattage output. The HP site says 250w so while that is small its borderline too small for an add-in card. The power supply should have a white sticker on it with abunch of non-sense but a pretty clear "###W" that will tell us. Also if you see any information about the output 12V would be really helpful as that is the power rail the GPU would use (take a picture of the sticker if you aren't sure and post it here). I'm afraid that it will be a cheap-o and may also need an upgrade which will make things a bit more difficult but, you being a mechanic not impossible.

GPU - GTX 1050 ($125)
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/21/2017, 18:48:39
Machine name: DOMINIC-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150715-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KJ379AA-ABA a6400f
BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/17/08 16:23:04 Ver: 5.17
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 1953MB used, 4169MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

There is that stuff and I will get you the power supply info later on once I get the chance too. Again thanks for all the help man I really appreciate it!
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:Ok, it being so short term we can probably get away with a easy GPU upgrade and call it a day. Few things to verify before moving on though.

GPU - GTX 1050 ($125)
Here's a picture of my power supply tag http://imgur.com/bZUbuCT
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, we came up losing in about all of that.

The CPU/Memory combo is on the weaker side of possibilities from the configurations available but not a hugely unexpected results. We can still get by just a bummer to confirm. As far as the power goes according to that sticker its a 250w with 218W Max on the 12v rail. On paper, that is enough to power the CPU and graphics card but one small hiccup and the whole system is up in smoke, literally. I'd prefer not to recommend upgrades with the knowledge that something has a small chance of setting the whole house on fire.

Now as I said previously, I kind of expected the results we got so this isn't a total blow however will require replacing the power. With the image you provided I was able to find out more about the PSU. I can see the connectors we need and looks like it is a standard ATX model so easy enough to replace. The below two parts come to a total of $188 from Amazon (Prime if you have it) and should be enough to get the job done.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jzwkpb

I'm not sure how much you know of computers but if I've made any of this sound hard I promise it isn't. I built my first computer at 16 with no help from anyone except a YouTube video and previous knowledge from working on my bike. You should only have to remove the power supply and 3 cables. Give me a second to edit a photo and link some tutorials that will help you through. If you need anything further or if you decide to do this and need help when you are doing it just post here and we will see what we can do.
MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Ok. So here is a reference image of the motherboard and what you'll change. The red is the two power connectors, the green is where the graphics card will slot in. The graphics card does not require any extra power so just plug it in and you are good to go.

While searching for a video I actually found one of a dude replacing one in a HP, with the same power supply. Granted his method is overly simplified almost to the point of being incorrect he got the job done and will be a good visual reference at the very least. He shows the 4 connectors that will be replaced (2 motherboard, 1 hard drive, 1 cd drive), where they are and how to remove/replace the unit itself.

This is the one I'd prefer as he is someone with more knowledge of working with computer hardware and goes into detail/better video quality to show you what to look for. Not everything will be aplicable because he is building from nothing and in a much newer system but, from 45:30-47-:30 are the two cables you will be messing with and will give you some context for the wires.

That covers the basics, and once again I don't know how much you know of computers so if I'm wasting my time covering this stuff please tell me. :lol:
MXS Cares
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, we came up losing in about all of that.

The CPU/Memory combo is on the weaker side of possibilities from the configurations available but not a hugely unexpected results. We can still get by just a bummer to confirm. As far as the power goes according to that sticker its a 250w with 218W Max on the 12v rail. On paper, that is enough to power the CPU and graphics card but one small hiccup and the whole system is up in smoke, literally. I'd prefer not to recommend upgrades with the knowledge that something has a small chance of setting the whole house on fire.

Now as I said previously, I kind of expected the results we got so this isn't a total blow however will require replacing the power. With the image you provided I was able to find out more about the PSU. I can see the connectors we need and looks like it is a standard ATX model so easy enough to replace. The below two parts come to a total of $188 from Amazon (Prime if you have it) and should be enough to get the job done.

I'm not sure how much you know of computers but if I've made any of this sound hard I promise it isn't. I built my first computer at 16 with no help from anyone except a YouTube video and previous knowledge from working on my bike. You should only have to remove the power supply and 3 cables. Give me a second to edit a photo and link some tutorials that will help you through. If you need anything further or if you decide to do this and need help when you are doing it just post here and we will see what we can do.
Unfortunately I kind of figured as much lol but it's no problem one of my computer buddies out me together a really kickass build list that I could link you too and see what you think about it that is reasonably priced. And I don't know all kinds of stuff and what kind of parts I need to make it run better. But I can tell you I completely dismantled this computer and cleaned it and the put the whole thing back together and it worked so I know that much at least lol. I just really needed help with knowing what parts are good and what I would be best off to replace https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MP9tzM here is the build list that my buddy made up for me
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

kawasaki22db wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, we came up losing in about all of that.

Unfortunately I kind of figured as much lol but it's no problem one of my computer buddies out me together a really kickass build list that I could link you too and see what you think about it that is reasonably priced. And I don't know all kinds of stuff and what kind of parts I need to make it run better. But I can tell you I completely dismantled this computer and cleaned it and the put the whole thing back together and it worked so I know that much at least lol. I just really needed help with knowing what parts are good and what I would be best off to replace https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MP9tzM here is the build list that my buddy made up for me
I feel like if I ran with the setup he sent me I would most likely be good with this setup for a long time and for the time being I wouldnt bother with a optical drive or a new case being I already have that stuff. And I would probably try to keep my old hard drive being it is still good but he did tell me a lot of the time if you don't upgrade the hard drive it may not work just being that old. Plus I would need a new os if I got a new hard drive.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

While I agree with your parts build a lot of it isn't needed or warranted. The FX 6200 is literally the first CPU I had when I built my first PC in 2011, so its an aged platform. Its selling point was that it had a lot of cores but each core was weaker so the Intel competition was 4 cores vs 6 cores they were relatively close but the AMD was cheaper for less features. If you plan on primarily gaming for MXS, MXS only uses 1 core. You'd want the strongest single core there is and truth be told what you have in your HP will be a lot closer than you think. Considering this is an "upgrade" for you getting a CPU from around the same era that you are replacing (08 to 11) and its application not being able to take advantage of its features (6 cores, game using 1) there isn't a need to buy it. This isn't me calling your friend out, I do think for your budget what he did makes sense but the things about your uses and application for it he may be in the dark in and thats why I don't think its worth spending the extra on all new things. We agree on the graphics and power supply but the CPU/RAM/MB/Case won't be enough of a step up to justify the cost.

My two cents, upgrade a little now and save up to $7-800 for a full system upgrade that can play most games 1080p/60fps/high settings.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XFDQr7
MXS Cares
kawasaki22db

Post by kawasaki22db »

Pumaxcs wrote:While I agree with your parts build a lot of it isn't needed or warranted. The FX 6200 is literally the first CPU I had when I built my first PC in 2011, so its an aged platform. Its selling point was that it had a lot of cores but each core was weaker so the Intel competition was 4 cores vs 6 cores they were relatively close but the AMD was cheaper for less features. If you plan on primarily gaming for MXS, MXS only uses 1 core. You'd want the strongest single core there is and truth be told what you have in your HP will be a lot closer than you think. Considering this is an "upgrade" for you getting a CPU from around the same era that you are replacing (08 to 11) and its application not being able to take advantage of its features (6 cores, game using 1) there isn't a need to buy it. This isn't me calling your friend out, I do think for your budget what he did makes sense but the things about your uses and application for it he may be in the dark in and thats why I don't think its worth spending the extra on all new things. We agree on the graphics and power supply but the CPU/RAM/MB/Case won't be enough of a step up to justify the cost.

My two cents, upgrade a little now and save up to $7-800 for a full system upgrade that can play most games 1080p/60fps/high settings.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XFDQr7
I completely understand what your saying, and thats exactly it is he doesn't know anything about the game other than what I have told him. And in glad that you actually know what the game is and what it takes. I will most likely end up going with the psu and gpu that you recommend earlier in the thread. I'm really just wanting to be able to run the game in a good quality and fps and run any track I want lol. I'm very limited to my track downloading because I never know what will actually run and what won't. And I never play online either mainly because it only runs 10fps or less online.