Demo Playback and Erode

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Demo Playback and Erode

Post by yzmxer608 »

Forgive me if this has been covered in any of the snapshot topics, but I just want to get an understanding of what's going on. I did a test by myself to see what would happen. I did a race by myself with erode enabled online (not enabled through the game's target line for single player), and then played the demo back.
  • I had roost at 0
  • I just fast-forwarded until the race was over
The erode looked the same at the end as it did in the server. At some point I thought I remembered you had to have roost enabled (above 0) for erode to show in demos, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did notice if you rewind and let the rider go through again, the erode continues. How does this work? I do not have erode enabled in the game, does the demo remember the erode settings from the server? Is there a way to disable this?

I want to do some recording in a demo with a lot of people, but if I keep rewinding and resuming to setup cameras etc. I don't want the erode to look any different than it did at that point when it was "live" in the demo.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Demo Playback and Erode

Post by jlv »

The roost is a separate thing now. It stores the erode packets in the demo and every time you run it it will reapply them as you've discovered. It'd be very hard to make it undo the erosion as you rewind over it. I could make it not reapply the same erode packets. So if you play it up to 10 minutes and rewind to the beginning, it would still have 10 minutes of erosion but it wouldn't double it as you let the first 10 minutes play again. Would that be good enough?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Re: Demo Playback and Erode

Post by yzmxer608 »

Yes that would be perfect!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.