JLV should use Unreal Engine 4!

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

JLV should use Unreal Engine 4!

Post by swoodmx »

I am no programmer by any means but I wonder how hard it would be for jlv to move the great physics he has already fine tuned over to a game engine with some easy to work with graphics pipelines that would make this game the best there ever was, I mean it's the only thing holding this baby back was the graphics in the first place. Imagine this game with near photo realistic visuals that you could pull off and the quality and fidelity of the roost and shader terrain updates that could be rendered in real time with mixtures of glossy and diffuse looks that would happen when you have mud mixed in with some harder dirt, Unreal Engine 4 would give JLV the power to pull shader mixtures like this off that look realistic with minimal performance problems I mean the lighting upgrade alone is worth the switch!
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Re: JLV should use Unreal Engine 4!

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Although this would make the game look incredible with these graphics and well as spark a popularity growth with them, this would change the entire aspect of Mx Simulator. Let me show you an example.

Tracks nowadays are made with specific decal textures that players put inside the track folder which are then put onto the track. My guess is if jlv switched engines, this would mess with the whole decal system and textures as we know.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if jlv wanted to change engines, he would pretty much need to start from scratch and redo almost everything with the game. If jlv ever feels up to it, could we ever see an Mx Simulator 2? Or Mx Simulator 2019 or something along those lines?

I don't feel like jlv wants to put in the time to doing another whole game. Jlv has some incredible talent and if he could team up with some of these other companies, we could eventually see a photorealistic simulation game. I highly doubt this will happen, but it's really fun to fantasize and think about what could happen in the future with motocross games.

If any of my information is incorrect, let me know. I'm not completely sure how this would effect the actual game in general, but based off of what I know about this game, that is my guess as to why it won't happen.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Yeah it would be a completely different workflow. We would be using PBR materials, but once you learn how to do it, it is way easier than the way we do it now. I don't think JLV is willing to go to a different engine, but if he would implement the use of PBR materials and HDR environments and lighting, the game would look incredibly better. However, if JLV takes that route I'm sure it would take quite a bit of time to get it working with his engine and getting it properly optimized.
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

JLV will find a way muahhahaha
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

swoodmx wrote:
Anyone who thinks that our existence couldn't be a simulation should look at these graphics :lol:
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Why would you need to rewrite the whole game in unreal for something that can be done in the current engine? Theres plenty of documentation on implementing PBR materials in your shaders. MXS would probably need a lighting rewrite and definitely some addition to the current OpenGL shaders, but it's a relatively easy addition. MX Sim is an ongoing project and it doesn't make sense for JLV to switch over to a mainstream engine unless he wanted it done for him. There's a thing my professors tell me... "Gameplay before graphics" and the gameplay for MXS is still being worked on. I'm sure once JLV gets near where he wants to be with the physics then he'll start to implement better graphics. It just takes time, especially for one person. It's too difficult to just "switch" engines.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

LKR47 wrote:There's a thing my professors tell me... "Gameplay before graphics"
Clearly the developers of Milestone Games had different professors :lol:
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote:
LKR47 wrote:There's a thing my professors tell me... "Gameplay before graphics"
Clearly the developers of Milestone Games had different professors :lol:
:lol:
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Ehh thats relative. If they wanted it to play any different they would have done it.
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

just when I thought it couldn't get any better I was wrong!

swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

MxWayGamer
Crushed Dissenter
Team: MTFactory

Post by MxWayGamer »

LKR47 wrote:Why would you need to rewrite the whole game in unreal for something that can be done in the current engine? Theres plenty of documentation on implementing PBR materials in your shaders. MXS would probably need a lighting rewrite and definitely some addition to the current OpenGL shaders, but it's a relatively easy addition. MX Sim is an ongoing project and it doesn't make sense for JLV to switch over to a mainstream engine unless he wanted it done for him. There's a thing my professors tell me... "Gameplay before graphics" and the gameplay for MXS is still being worked on. I'm sure once JLV gets near where he wants to be with the physics then he'll start to implement better graphics. It just takes time, especially for one person. It's too difficult to just "switch" engines.

I think the current engine is too old. For example, if we would like to play with lot of skins, we have to buy a NASA computer... If JLV try to increase the graphics with openGL, we will lost so much framerate. But yes, like everybody, I dream about a MxSimulator 2.0 with beautiful graphic, with dynamic shadows,...

And I think it's not a problem for all of us if we have to buy this MxSimulator again to have this 2.0.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

MxWayGamer wrote:For example, if we would like to play with lot of skins, we have to buy a NASA computer...
*With unreasonably sized skins and shader maps.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

There's nothing wrong with using a 4k diffuse map. I heard that games like battlefield use 16k textures on some of the guns...The problem is when people save out there skins with 4k spec maps. Even 4k normal maps are questionable, but sometimes I like to pack small detail into some things on my bikes, which would come out a little blurry on a 2k texture. JLV has tried to implement optimizations for his game with LODs and mipmaps, but they often go unused.
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

Jeremy150 wrote:sometimes I like to pack small detail into some things on my bikes, which would come out a little blurry on a 2k texture
This dude included the license and patent info on the handguards I requested