JLV should use Unreal Engine 4!

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Re: JLV should use Unreal Engine 4!

Post by Jeremy150 »

So yeah, like I said the most noticeable improvement that I see is the metals. I'm not a master at renders but you can see how good it can look with actually a pretty simple node setup.
The only lighting I have on this is an HDR.

All the metals except for the dull parts like the casting on the frame are made with this node.
Also you are definitely correct, without the HDR lighting it won't look great in game.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I believe that node is essentially just mix(diffuse, gloss).
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

Each one of those settings play off of each other. As you may of noticed there is no option for fresnel. So if you change the value of metallic to 1, it give it the properties of a metal. Then based off amount of specularity and roughness that you give it, it will automatically calculate the correct amount of fresnel. It takes the guess work out of making materials, while being extremely accurate with real world data. That one node can give you so many different options for different materials, while being extremely simple. If you want something that looks like rubber, you would just turn the metallic to 0, turn the roughness almost all the way down to 0, and bump the specular to around .500. It has a transmission property so you can do things like glass easily. Anisotropic is great for making ridges in metal, something like the back of a frying pan, or more relevant to the game like you said, billet aluminum.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

HDR environment map lighting would be awesome.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jeremy150 wrote:Each one of those settings play off of each other. As you may of noticed there is no option for fresnel. So if you change the value of metallic to 1, it give it the properties of a metal. Then based off amount of specularity and roughness that you give it, it will automatically calculate the correct amount of fresnel. It takes the guess work out of making materials, while being extremely accurate with real world data. That one node can give you so many different options for different materials, while being extremely simple. If you want something that looks like rubber, you would just turn the metallic to 0, turn the roughness almost all the way down to 0, and bump the specular to around .500. It has a transmission property so you can do things like glass easily. Anisotropic is great for making ridges in metal, something like the back of a frying pan, or more relevant to the game like you said, billet aluminum.
Fresnel should be pretty simple to add. Can't say I see what the big deal is about the Principled node. It doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with the other nodes. If you were trying to recreate a real material by measuring how it reflects light from different angles and recreate the measurements in Blender you'd actually be better off with the regular nodes. The only upside I see is it might be a less confusing interface for some users.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:Fresnel should be pretty simple to add. Can't say I see what the big deal is about the Principled node. It doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with the other nodes. If you were trying to recreate a real material by measuring how it reflects light from different angles and recreate the measurements in Blender you'd actually be better off with the regular nodes. The only upside I see is it might be a less confusing interface for some users.
I think one of the biggest benefits of adding the principled node, would be the ease of texturing for the artists. The materials will be able to pull a lot more weight and we won't have to do nearly the amount texturing work. With less texturing in Photoshop we will have significantly less psd sizes and more importantly, file sizes. Whenever I am laying out base colors in Photoshop to see how the bike is looking in game, the file sizes are extremely small. But once I start to do all the little tricks to make the bike look like its actually metal the file sizes significantly increase.
So implementing the principled node with be a major benefit in all areas. The models will look better, be less intensive on the game, and will reduce the time of completion.

Also, if we have to do less work in photoshop, this will save a lot of time that could be spent on optimizing the bike with LODs and even mipmaps.
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by swoodmx »

Jeremy you using blender 2.8 and how the fuck can i turn off the real time ray tracing in cycles viewport and go back to the standard one like in the older versions without evee!
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

Also Jeremy where is the hide from render and viewport keyframe toggle at in 2.8 I cant find them anymore!
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

they are called restrict rendering toggle in the old versions of blender
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jeremy150 wrote:I think one of the biggest benefits of adding the principled node, would be the ease of texturing for the artists. The materials will be able to pull a lot more weight and we won't have to do nearly the amount texturing work. With less texturing in Photoshop we will have significantly less psd sizes and more importantly, file sizes. Whenever I am laying out base colors in Photoshop to see how the bike is looking in game, the file sizes are extremely small. But once I start to do all the little tricks to make the bike look like its actually metal the file sizes significantly increase.
So implementing the principled node with be a major benefit in all areas. The models will look better, be less intensive on the game, and will reduce the time of completion.

Also, if we have to do less work in photoshop, this will save a lot of time that could be spent on optimizing the bike with LODs and even mipmaps.
The file size has nothing to do with the space used in texture memory. It's always width*height*channels for uncompressed and 1/4 of that for compressed.

I'm all for nicer shaders but I just think the whole PBR thing sounds like a load of BS. The good thing about the PBR/Principled/Disney shader is it appears to be a standardized set of material parameters. That is a genuinely good thing for interoperability between tools. But to make it out like it's some kind of rendering magic is flat out dishonest. Just look at that picture you posted where the non-PBR example didn't even have an environment map. That's a complete lie. A fair comparison would have used the exact same lighting. Only problem is the PBR example wouldn't look noticeably better that way.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
YaBoiMxx
Crushed Dissenter
Team: 6ixLab Racing

Post by YaBoiMxx »

So JLV what do you think of Mx Simulator being implemented into UE4? what is your opinion and will it happen..
#Whipitwednesday
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

YaBoiMxx wrote:So JLV what do you think of Mx Simulator being implemented into UE4? what is your opinion and will it happen..
Not happening..
YaBoiMxx
Crushed Dissenter
Team: 6ixLab Racing

Post by YaBoiMxx »

Thought so..
#Whipitwednesday
swoodmx
Crushed Dissenter

Post by swoodmx »

JLV needs to get with the times this game feels great but looks like dung LOLOOOLOLOL
Jeremy150

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:The file size has nothing to do with the space used in texture memory. It's always width*height*channels for uncompressed and 1/4 of that for compressed.

I'm all for nicer shaders but I just think the whole PBR thing sounds like a load of BS. The good thing about the PBR/Principled/Disney shader is it appears to be a standardized set of material parameters. That is a genuinely good thing for interoperability between tools. But to make it out like it's some kind of rendering magic is flat out dishonest. Just look at that picture you posted where the non-PBR example didn't even have an environment map. That's a complete lie. A fair comparison would have used the exact same lighting. Only problem is the PBR example wouldn't look noticeably better that way.
So what options are we limited to with materials currently? Is it just Specular and Mirror/Gloss? Is it just the extra options like Metallic, Roughness, Anisotropic, Sheen, Clearcoat, IOR/Transmission, and accurate Fresnel, that have been giving me much better results? I suppose if you just added those properties, then we would be able to achieve the same result. However, why not just implement the Principled Shader node as our main material setup? From the node that I posted you can see how easy it is to get something that looks pretty good.

I've been trying to find another example of the difference between PBR, and Specular/Traditional with both having and HDR setup. But it seems that PBR and HDR lighting are almost a given to go together. So I did another quick render to hopefully show the difference.
This is using the exact same HDRI map, except the materials are made the traditional way.

Again, I'll agree that there isn't a huge difference, and that PBR isnt "some kind of rendering magic". But it is pretty clear that you can achieve the same, if not better results, with a much simpler node setup.