FOV The PERFECT Setting For Your Setup

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
RSmithDRIFT
Team: Privateer

FOV The PERFECT Setting For Your Setup

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

I've heard what yall be running... Sounds insane. I run 51" about 30" away from my face and I feel it's realistic at 90*, therefore I'm assuming this sim uses horizontal FOV, but the calculator says I should be at 73 and that doesnt seem right... Is it not in horizontal degrees? The bike is WAAAAYYYY too big on my screen at 73 LMFAO. 110 feels game like, not sim like. Equivalent to me running 60* VFOV in rfactor or many of the other games using that setup. I want to dial in my system for this sim to make it as sim as possible, I've always had a smaller 32" screen at the same distance so I basically had such a low Real FOV setting on every game/sim that it was unuseable and I had to bump it up a bit. 90 was the lowest I could stand in this game whereas I was at 60 in rfactor. Now I'm perfect at 45* in rfactor (I literally measured everything in the real car to confirm) and I'd like to figure out what it is for this sim. Thanks.

Lnxa
Crushed Dissenter

Re: FOV The PERFECT Setting For Your Setup

Post by Lnxa »

You use a 51" TV and sit 30" away from it? lol
[center][b]|[/b] 2013 EMF MX1 Champion - 3x rF 450 MX Champion ('15/'16/'17) [b]|[/b]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/Lnxamxs]Youtube[/url] [url=https://www.twitch.tv/lnxa]Twitch[/url]
"I hit my desk too hard again and my game crashed" -Rush[/center]
[img]https://yip.su/1w7sq7[/img]
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

Lnxa wrote:You use a 51" TV and sit 30" away from it? lol
Sure do... Very VR feeling.
Rayvenator
Team: TM Factory Racing

Post by Rayvenator »

jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The fov setting is a little weird in that it sets the fov for the largest 4:3 aspect rectangle that will fit in the window. So if the window is 4:3 or taller, it directly sets it. If the window is wider than 4:3, it uses a wider fov so that the 4:3 area in the middle has the specified fov.

It's a pain when you're trying to set an exact fov but it's a lot nicer in that it automatically goes wider for wide monitors.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
FlyinHigh

Post by FlyinHigh »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:
Im sure that 30hz refresh rate is very VR feeling
MotoGoon31

Post by MotoGoon31 »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:
kids these days are actually sitting directly in front of a big bright screen. your eyes are effed :smh:
Whether you think you can or you can't; your probably right. - Henry Ford
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

113 or more with that big of a screen. It's better to see adjacent bikes on the gate.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Fro77
Team: TBR

Post by Fro77 »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:things I've said over and over and no one cares
Please stop beating a dead horse, we get it the game isn't real enough for you. No one is going to use your horrible settings
Ddavis wrote:You paid your $5 to do this shitty event so deal with it, everyone who wants their money back for whatever fucking reason, go get a job you poor bastard.
James_122 wrote:If you really want to know if Jesus is real, just ask Havoc They went to college together.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Fro77 wrote:
RSmithDRIFT wrote:things I've said over and over and no one cares
Please stop beating a dead horse, we get it the game isn't real enough for you. No one is going to use your horrible settings
Bro, he made drifting physics tho!!!!
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

jlv wrote:The fov setting is a little weird in that it sets the fov for the largest 4:3 aspect rectangle that will fit in the window. So if the window is 4:3 or taller, it directly sets it. If the window is wider than 4:3, it uses a wider fov so that the 4:3 area in the middle has the specified fov.

It's a pain when you're trying to set an exact fov but it's a lot nicer in that it automatically goes wider for wide monitors.
Ok thanks for the reply. Useful and actually really cool. And no im not beating any horses, just needed to know some info to help me with my setup and i got the answer. Yalls immaturity to the situation IS the only problem. And my refresh rate is 60hz, id prefer 144, but you know we cant all be rich af.

I wish this game would go a more sim direction with its tracks and stability setup but i understand that its personal preference and if you dont want it you dont want it. I cant force you to try my setup. But i like it and im gonna keep playin the game the way i enjoy it and hope some day a 1:1 scale track with accurate traction. Till then ill just make do and enjoy it for what it is. I like simulating things
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

jlv wrote:The fov setting is a little weird in that it sets the fov for the largest 4:3 aspect rectangle that will fit in the window. So if the window is 4:3 or taller, it directly sets it. If the window is wider than 4:3, it uses a wider fov so that the 4:3 area in the middle has the specified fov.

So according to the calculators I would require a 45* VFOV or a 57* HFOV... I'm guessing we are using the hfov but still, the handlebars are literally 70* wide on my screen when I run that FOV... What gives?
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:

So according to the calculators I would require a 45* VFOV or a 57* HFOV... I'm guessing we are using the hfov but still, the handlebars are literally 70* wide on my screen when I run that FOV... What gives?
70 inches wide... not degrees lol my b.
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:
RSmithDRIFT wrote:

70 inches wide... not degrees lol my b.
Update, I've figured it out... it's 4:3 hight equivalent HFOVx2 then streched to fit screen width.

For my setup that is equal to 114* and my handlebars are now 30 inches wide with the rider at max hight and max look downward. :mrgreen:
ColtonM

Post by ColtonM »

Jesus Christ