FOV The PERFECT Setting For Your Setup

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Lnxa
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Re: FOV The PERFECT Setting For Your Setup

Post by Lnxa »

Looks great.
[center][b]|[/b] 2013 EMF MX1 Champion - 3x rF 450 MX Champion ('15/'16/'17) [b]|[/b]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/Lnxamxs]Youtube[/url] [url=https://www.twitch.tv/lnxa]Twitch[/url]
"I hit my desk too hard again and my game crashed" -Rush[/center]
[img]https://yip.su/1w7sq7[/img]
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:113 or more with that big of a screen. It's better to see adjacent bikes on the gate.
RSmithDRIFT wrote:For my setup that is equal to 114*
I told you, didn't I?
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
CeeJayHDz

Post by CeeJayHDz »

I always ride looking straight down at my fender irl
Rush
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Balenciaga

Post by Rush »

CeeJayHDz wrote:I always ride looking straight down at my fender irl
I tend to look at my gas tank. Makes me feel like I’m going faster but then again I crash a lot
Jared133mx wrote:if you have anything else to say you can shoot my mom a message :wink:
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:
TeamHavocRacing wrote:113 or more with that big of a screen. It's better to see adjacent bikes on the gate.
RSmithDRIFT wrote:For my setup that is equal to 114*
I told you, didn't I?
Yep, nailed it
TeamHavocRacing

I just go by what feels ok. If I can't see far enough ahead in a bowl turn, I adjust the view to look up more. If it feels to nauseating I widen the FOV.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

RSmithDRIFT wrote:
jlv wrote:The fov setting is a little weird in that it sets the fov for the largest 4:3 aspect rectangle that will fit in the window. So if the window is 4:3 or taller, it directly sets it. If the window is wider than 4:3, it uses a wider fov so that the 4:3 area in the middle has the specified fov.

It's a pain when you're trying to set an exact fov but it's a lot nicer in that it automatically goes wider for wide monitors.

So according to the calculators I would require a 45* VFOV or a 57* HFOV... I'm guessing we are using the hfov but still, the handlebars are literally 70* wide on my screen when I run that FOV... What gives?
That's the same number I get. The handlebars should be bigger than real size since in the game they're closer to you than the 30 inch distance to the screen. If the in-game camera is 15 inches from the bars they should be double size on the screen.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

jlv wrote:
RSmithDRIFT wrote:

So according to the calculators I would require a 45* VFOV or a 57* HFOV... I'm guessing we are using the hfov but still, the handlebars are literally 70* wide on my screen when I run that FOV... What gives?
That's the same number I get. The handlebars should be bigger than real size since in the game they're closer to you than the 30 inch distance to the screen. If the in-game camera is 15 inches from the bars they should be double size on the screen.
Hmmm... ok, so that 57* really is the correct value, not the 114? Yea thats crazy its too narrow. Ill stick with the 114, it feels more natural and i literally cant see enought to ride with it below 90... :/
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Yes. It'd definitely be under 90 since the distance to your eye is more than 1/2 the width of the monitor. It's a fun trick to get a 3d look but for practical purposes 110 is way better.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

jlv wrote: That's the same number I get. The handlebars should be bigger than real size since in the game they're closer to you than the 30 inch distance to the screen. If the in-game camera is 15 inches from the bars they should be double size on the screen.
Jesus christ your right... The x2 was just to make the scaling of the tracks look more accurate because everything looks absurdly large when you have the FOV correct because the track was made to look and "Feel" correct with the x2 FOV. Now I can really SEE the scaling difference between the track and the bike when I'm in 3rd person and honestly you just flat cannot see the bike in 1st person anymore. Like REFLEX 1st person cam is... So it's great on the 1:1 scale track in 3rd person but rediculous on any other track and you just flat cannot use 1st person anymore... FFS. I think MX Sim is stuck using the x2 FOV and overscaled tracks will naturally follow because of it. Untill everyone is on VR we are literally stuck this way. :oops:
RSmithDRIFT

Post by RSmithDRIFT »

So actually this presents a beautiful solution... Set up your 3rd person camera to 100% accurate FOV and you can really get a sense of scale for the track and it's REALLY fun and surprisingly easy to ride. Then set up your 1st person camera to 200% FOV or 2x the 3rd person FOV and your bars should look on screen as if your eyes were in even plane with the screen even though they arent and you can ride quite well and look pretty accurate in it also. Just the jumps will be SUPER stretched out and the straights will feel really long LOL. After riding in the correct FOV in 3rd everything seems so far away when I go back to 2x FOV in 1st now haha. But god is it good.
TeamHavocRacing

Hopefully this means you can just get back to playing the damn game FFS.