Performance Concerns?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Re: Performance Concerns?

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:I don't think the drive matters in that case since the OS will have everything cached in RAM if it was already loaded once. The game tries to be smart about not reloading textures that are already loaded, so it'll load much faster when the textures are mostly the same as the previous race.

To do a fair comparison between a SSD and a spinning rust drive you'd want to time loading after clearing the disk cache. On Windows you might have to reboot to clear the cache.
This is in regards to first load (going from warmup to on the gate). Any idea's as to what my problem may be?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

It shouldn't matter if you're going from spectator to player. What matters is how many new textures it has to load. Loading the same gate should be really fast but a gate full of new riders will need to load all the new textures. If you've loaded the texture since the last time you rebooted it's probably cached in ram so it won't have to go to the drive to get it. (Make sure you don't have disk caching off.)

Did it slow down when you installed the M.2 drive? One possibility would be the drive is preventing your graphics card from getting 16 PCI lanes. Maybe check your motherboard manual to make sure everything's configured correctly. Hard to see how that would hurt texture upload times by more than a couple of seconds but it's the only way I can see a faster drive slowing down your system.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:It shouldn't matter if you're going from spectator to player. What matters is how many new textures it has to load. Loading the same gate should be really fast but a gate full of new riders will need to load all the new textures. If you've loaded the texture since the last time you rebooted it's probably cached in ram so it won't have to go to the drive to get it. (Make sure you don't have disk caching off.)

Did it slow down when you installed the M.2 drive? One possibility would be the drive is preventing your graphics card from getting 16 PCI lanes. Maybe check your motherboard manual to make sure everything's configured correctly. Hard to see how that would hurt texture upload times by more than a couple of seconds but it's the only way I can see a faster drive slowing down your system.
It was going from spectator and loading new textures for 40 riders. Disk caching is turned on.

No it isn't any slower. I load in fast to all games besides MXS. With this motherboard, the M.2 slot runs off of the SATA lanes disabling the first two. GPU is in fact running on x16.

Strange..
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:It was going from spectator and loading new textures for 40 riders. Disk caching is turned on.

No it isn't any slower. I load in fast to all games besides MXS. With this motherboard, the M.2 slot runs off of the SATA lanes disabling the first two. GPU is in fact running on x16.

Strange..
What exactly are we comparing it with?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.