Performance Concerns?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Racers52

Performance Concerns?

Post by Racers52 »

Hey guys, never really done a post like this but hopefully I can get some feedback.

So yesterday during the Glen Helen motos, I was dropping frames from 125-80.

Replayed the demo of M2 and noticed in the Intel Utility tool that MXS was only utilizing 10% of my CPU?

Anyone have any idea why MXS is only using 10% of an i7 6800k overclocked to 4.2GHz? lol

PC Specs:

In game settings:

Graph Readings from IEUT during a 40 man 30min moto on Glen Helen High Res:

You can see the CPU utilization (blue line) has a few spikes but really never leaves to 10% area.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Re: Performance Concerns?

Post by aeffertz »

TBH I have no idea but have you tried adjusting the priority of mx.exe?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

On a 12 thread system I'd have expected it to max out at 8%.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Your performance graph is averaging the usage of all cores. Since MXS is a single threaded application, one core will have much higher utilization, but the average across all cores will be much lower.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

I've never thought of that before... It'll apply to me too :shock:
vmaki
Team: Privateer

Post by vmaki »

I remember reading when I was overclocking my i5 that it is possible to have different multipliers per core. Maybe you could try to tune your overclock to have higher multiplier on the first core and slightly lower ones for the rest of them?
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Can you set affinity to a single core?
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Can you set affinity to a single core?

Check around 5:30 :)
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

A couple different questions JLV.

Do you have any suggestions for people on how to put themselves in the best position to achieve higher FPS for these organized races if you have the hardware to support doing so? Obviously many people including myself would like to think they have a handle on what to do to achieve the best possible experience but are we missing anything?

I would like to think that with my hardware I shouldn't have drops in performance resulting in some lag and jitters? Components are a 7700k at 5.0 Ghz, memory running at 3200Mhz C14, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 for OS and MXS and a 1080TI.

After running GPU-Z while watching the demo for moto 1 at Glen Helen, this is what my GPU load looks like.

This leads me to believe that my monitor (1440p 144Hz G-Sync) shouldn't be holding me back correct? Initially I was thinking this could be hurting performance?

The other question I have is in regards to SCRAM files and load times. Do you have any idea's to a solution for slow load times besides not downloading peoples skins being that everyone is using SCRAM files now? Would it be possible to get a faster loading less secure alternative to these to cut down on load times?

I have load time issues and am constantly one of the last people to load in. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect to a server when loading into warm up mode as I timeout. Loading into the warm up lap for the moto's I load in after the gate has already dropped. I am using a M.2 drive for MXS, do these for whatever reason not work well with MXS? I just don't understand how I could possibly load in slower than a person with a standard HD that has the same skins as I do?

These are the graphics settings I use for nationals.

I run Nvidia Inspector with Threaded Optimization off, power management on high performance and AA at x8. Windows power setting is on high performance and CPU runs at 5 Ghz consistently.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

My guess would be a high end system like that would be mostly limited by the graphics bus. The game sends way too much data from the CPU to the GPU. I need to do stuff like keep the terrain in video memory and use shaders to draw it. Of course, that would mean ending support for < OpenGL 2.0. Need to do a hardware survey at some point to see if Intel HD graphics is still as popular as it was.

While it would be possible to make a faster scram file that was easier to unscramble, I'm not sure I'd want to waste time on it. I think it was a mistake to do scrambled files in the first place. The files that are getting scrambled all seem to be in the possession of dozens of people unscrambled so it's kind of pointless.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:My guess would be a high end system like that would be mostly limited by the graphics bus. The game sends way too much data from the CPU to the GPU. I need to do stuff like keep the terrain in video memory and use shaders to draw it. Of course, that would mean ending support for < OpenGL 2.0. Need to do a hardware survey at some point to see if Intel HD graphics is still as popular as it was.

While it would be possible to make a faster scram file that was easier to unscramble, I'm not sure I'd want to waste time on it. I think it was a mistake to do scrambled files in the first place. The files that are getting scrambled all seem to be in the possession of dozens of people unscrambled so it's kind of pointless.
Anything on this part?
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:I have load time issues and am constantly one of the last people to load in. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect to a server when loading into warm up mode as I timeout. Loading into the warm up lap for the moto's I load in after the gate has already dropped. I am using a M.2 drive for MXS, do these for whatever reason not work well with MXS? I just don't understand how I could possibly load in slower than a person with a standard HD that has the same skins as I do?.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

jlv wrote: Need to do a hardware survey at some point to see if Intel HD graphics is still as popular as it was.
I don't think it matters, just pretend no one uses it.
Hi
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Boblob801 wrote:
jlv wrote: Need to do a hardware survey at some point to see if Intel HD graphics is still as popular as it was.
I agree. Aim for the GTX960 as the lower end, it's not unreasonable. 750ti for worst case scenario.
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

Wahlamt wrote:
Boblob801 wrote:
I agree. Aim for the GTX960 as the lower end, it's not unreasonable. 750ti for worst case scenario.
I'm pretty confident that a majority of people, I would say over 85% have dedicated graphics processing.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:Anything on this part?
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:I have load time issues and am constantly one of the last people to load in. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect to a server when loading into warm up mode as I timeout. Loading into the warm up lap for the moto's I load in after the gate has already dropped. I am using a M.2 drive for MXS, do these for whatever reason not work well with MXS? I just don't understand how I could possibly load in slower than a person with a standard HD that has the same skins as I do?.
I don't think the drive matters in that case since the OS will have everything cached in RAM if it was already loaded once. The game tries to be smart about not reloading textures that are already loaded, so it'll load much faster when the textures are mostly the same as the previous race.

To do a fair comparison between a SSD and a spinning rust drive you'd want to time loading after clearing the disk cache. On Windows you might have to reboot to clear the cache.
Wahlamt wrote:
Boblob801 wrote:
I think you're probably right. Back around 2010 or so it felt like Intel graphics was the majority. Could be they just had the most problems and sent the most email though. And actually, the newer Intel stuff supports the APIs I need.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com