2018-05-25 snapshot

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby jlv » Sat May 26, 2018 1:47 am

Changes:
  • Increased erode averaging distance to 1.
  • Client version is now 32.

Windows users: http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-2018-05-25-1405.exe
Linux users: http://www.mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-2018-05-25-1405

Replace mx.exe or mxbin with one of the above files. The default location for mx.exe should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\MX Simulator". I'd keep a backup of the originals since these aren't well tested.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby jlv » Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 am

This version will save some erode bandwidth (around 25%) compared to the previous version at the cost of erode accuracy which will hopefully not be very noticeable. This will have a side effect of making the erode_inner_depth setting not do as much so if you're making tileinfo files you'll have to increase it a bit to compensate.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 8430
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby checkerz » Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 am

jlv wrote:This version will save some erode bandwidth (around 25%) compared to the previous version at the cost of erode accuracy which will hopefully not be very noticeable. This will have a side effect of making the erode_inner_depth setting not do as much so if you're making tileinfo files you'll have to increase it a bit to compensate.

Thoughts on a percentage to increase the inner depth by to compensate? Not sure if I’ll be able to get a test in before next outdoor round, but stoked to see the optimization for the server load!

User avatar
maxsmith444
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:32 pm
Team: Edge Racing MX2

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby maxsmith444 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:54 pm

nice
Image

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby jlv » Sun May 27, 2018 2:46 am

checkerz wrote:Thoughts on a percentage to increase the inner depth by to compensate? Not sure if I’ll be able to get a test in before next outdoor round, but stoked to see the optimization for the server load!

It's speed dependent. At slow speeds, you'll have to double it to be the same. At 128 feet/second, it will be unchanged. I'd probably go up around 20-30% as a compromise.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

Norcal_51
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm
Team: MotoStar Racing

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Norcal_51 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:23 am

This game NEEDS this feature... Because, I'm sorry, but actually feeling like you're on the track, is the only way to go, and is the future of motocross sim racing for a game with proper physics.

Image

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 6567
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Wahlamt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:54 am

Norcal_51 wrote:This game NEEDS this feature... Because, I'm sorry, but actually feeling like you're on the track, is the only way to go, and is the future of motocross sim racing for a game with proper physics.


Even if this is the future (and this game would make me buy VR), how many people here actually have it, how many can afford it? As much as I want this now, I don't see that much of an impact if it's implemented now or 2 years from now.

User avatar
TeamHavocRacing
Posts: 6633
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 am
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby TeamHavocRacing » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:16 pm

It's nearly the same problem as the first VR boom in the '90's. Affordability. Available, good titles. Oh, and affordability.
jlv wrote:I disagree with your disagreement.

Norcal_51
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm
Team: MotoStar Racing

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Norcal_51 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Well considering the Oculus is now between $350-399 that's not very expensive for people with jobs, and every decent racing or other sim these days has implemented it, so it just seems like a logical feature to add. It would be nice if we could at least have the ability to adjust head tilt vs bike tilt in 1st person view.
Image

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby jlv » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 am

Looks pretty cool! I was wondering what basis would work best for the game world vs real world. It looks like they lock the game world Y axis to the real world Y axis and use the yaw from the bike. (Where Y is vertical.) Can you flip in that game? What happens when you're inverted?

(I'd love to fool around with VR but my todo list is getting longer instead of shorter and VR is still kind of a niche thing.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

Norcal_51
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm
Team: MotoStar Racing

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Norcal_51 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 am

jlv wrote:Looks pretty cool! I was wondering what basis would work best for the game world vs real world. It looks like they lock the game world Y axis to the real world Y axis and use the yaw from the bike. (Where Y is vertical.) Can you flip in that game? What happens when you're inverted?

(I'd love to fool around with VR but my todo list is getting longer instead of shorter and VR is still kind of a niche thing.)


You can't flip well, but it is possible, and when you're inverted there is no change to the view, so even if you're inverted, you can look in any direction, sit, stand, move your body in any direction and feels natural. The first few times you hit big jumps you actually feel nervous because you actually get the depth perception you would in real life. Whoops are crazy too. 8)
Image

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 6567
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Wahlamt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:57 pm

My demo lags when I playback in slow motion.. It's not due to the recording, it's that way even if that's off. Using the latest snapshot.

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby jlv » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 am

There isn't really a slow motion mode. It's just the key repeat on the single step key. Does changing the key repeat rate smooth it out?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 6567
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby Wahlamt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 am

jlv wrote:There isn't really a slow motion mode. It's just the key repeat on the single step key. Does changing the key repeat rate smooth it out?

Hehe forgot that it wasn't.... How do I change that?

User avatar
TeamHavocRacing
Posts: 6633
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 am
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: 2018-05-25 snapshot

Postby TeamHavocRacing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 am

Windows control panel and device or keyboard settings or some shit. That should help.
jlv wrote:I disagree with your disagreement.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests