Terrain Deformation/Erode

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Higgie
Team: Privateer

Terrain Deformation/Erode

Post by Higgie »

Can anyone tell me how to put erode on, I've tried multiple times in the properties but I can't seem to get it to work. Any help is appreciated!
Throwing fatty whips since...idk.
oscarjonasson

Re: Terrain Deformation/Erode

Post by oscarjonasson »

You have to rightclick on your mx simulator shortcut, then select properties, next you'll have to type --erode (20) in goal. You can type any number you want in there, then click apply. Done!
ColtonD719

Post by ColtonD719 »

For single player try putting --erode 20 in your target line. You can use any value 0-100, but if it’s too low you may not notice it without doing a lot of laps. For multiplayer erode is turned on/off via the server settings.

TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Don't forget the decimal. --erode 20.0
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Don't forget the decimal. --erode 20.0
It's not necessary. I usually put the decimal in examples just to show it's accepted. (That and C coding habits.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Considering erode is now a refined and major feature of the game, perhaps this should be able to be toggled within a menu?
ThatMxGuyThing
Crushed Dissenter

Post by ThatMxGuyThing »

DJ99X wrote:Considering erode is now a refined and major feature of the game, perhaps this should be able to be toggled within a menu?
Second that
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Probably will add it to the menu. Although it's automatically set from the server with multiplayer and not all that useful with only one player unless you use a really high value.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Finalmushroom

Post by Finalmushroom »

jlv wrote:Probably will add it to the menu. Although it's automatically set from the server with multiplayer and not all that useful with only one player unless you use a really high value.
Do you have any future plans to combat this? Maybe be able to run high erode values without the edges getting too sharp?

Or can we run like 30 minutes on a low value and save the file and run that track with a low value?
Not sure if this is a thing but that would be fun. Kind of counter productive in the sense that it's the erode that changes and the pre created ruts make it feel like it used to.

Either way, the new erode on lower values is sick man! You dudes are putting in work out there! :mrgreen:
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Finalmushroom wrote:Do you have any future plans to combat this? Maybe be able to run high erode values without the edges getting too sharp?
High erode values are never going to be realistic because they don't account for how the changed terrain affects subsequent passes. I.e. 40 independent passes will always be different than 1 pass 40 times deeper. It would be really nice if I could get the AI riders working better without cheating but that's very hard to do.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:High erode values are never going to be realistic because they don't account for how the changed terrain affects subsequent passes. I.e. 40 independent passes will always be different than 1 pass 40 times deeper. It would be really nice if I could get the AI riders working better without cheating but that's very hard to do.
What's the downfall of having the AI cheat a bit? I swear every other game the AI has some sort of cheat algorithm coded in. :lol:
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

aeffertz wrote:
jlv wrote:High erode values are never going to be realistic because they don't account for how the changed terrain affects subsequent passes. I.e. 40 independent passes will always be different than 1 pass 40 times deeper. It would be really nice if I could get the AI riders working better without cheating but that's very hard to do.
What's the downfall of having the AI cheat a bit? I swear every other game the AI has some sort of cheat algorithm coded in. :lol:
I'd love to see AI actually competing with me. That'd be so fun.
Finalmushroom

Post by Finalmushroom »

jlv wrote:
Finalmushroom wrote:Do you have any future plans to combat this? Maybe be able to run high erode values without the edges getting too sharp?
High erode values are never going to be realistic because they don't account for how the changed terrain affects subsequent passes. I.e. 40 independent passes will always be different than 1 pass 40 times deeper. It would be really nice if I could get the AI riders working better without cheating but that's very hard to do.
Yeah I see your point. That's part of it!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

aeffertz wrote:What's the downfall of having the AI cheat a bit? I swear every other game the AI has some sort of cheat algorithm coded in. :lol:
Just as an opponent it'd probably be a good idea. For making erode lines it wouldn't work right unless it was actually riding the track like a normal player.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:
aeffertz wrote:What's the downfall of having the AI cheat a bit? I swear every other game the AI has some sort of cheat algorithm coded in. :lol:
Just as an opponent it'd probably be a good idea. For making erode lines it wouldn't work right unless it was actually riding the track like a normal player.
Ahh I suppose that makes sense. I wasn't even thinking about erode for the AI. I'd assume they'd be more or less be "floating" over the track rather than digging into the terrain?