KTM's suck?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
KTM57

Re: KTM's suck?

Post by KTM57 »

Pumaxcs wrote:
ktm57 wrote:thats bait
I had an 08 125 that lasted like 300 hours on a bottom end, and I had an 08 144 that blew up on jumps twice. The new ones are far and away the best on paper, but I have not ridden motocross in almost 9 years.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
~~NedDolan75~~
Crushed Dissenter
Team: ~I~Dunno~

Post by ~~NedDolan75~~ »

808 wrote:
Finalmushroom wrote:
808 wrote:This is why yamis are the best :wink:
I think they are great but it's all up to what the rider wants as far as how the bike feels. The yamaha is a tall ass bike. lol.
Well what I meant was they are the most reliable.

still the best bikes anyways tho
I agree a mate has a 2002 wr250f Only ever had 1 rebuild and still rides like brand new, Love the yamis
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Isn't the more important question "is KTM worth the extra money?" Of course the frame snapping issue seemed to get that internet fake news boost, but it still must affect some decisions. Back in the day they had trick aftermarket parts as stock and were the best, but haven't most companies caught on?
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
rickles2k
Team: Privateer

Post by rickles2k »

MX|VISUALS wrote:all about the maintenance, raced them since 09, never had an issue besides mechanics error
Weve done all the maintenance called for man, maybe i got shitty luck
Ripping_reckless

Post by Ripping_reckless »

dawsonsleeper wrote:ive had a lot of problems with 4 stroke race bikes as is. they make them as light as possible to try and get as much performace out of it as possible and im always having problems. thats why im going electric :D

right now i have a 2009 yz250f and its been nonstop problems. every time i get to the track i dont know if it will start or not. hyped to get an alta
you bike only has problems because you dont maintain it properly in 450a we get 2 years out of one bike without even shimming it and this was back from 01 to 07
Wilson156
Team: AektivCo

Post by Wilson156 »

dawsonsleeper wrote:ive had a lot of problems with 4 stroke race bikes as is.

right now i have a 2009 yz250f and its been nonstop problems.
Robert Wilson | AektivCo
dawsonsleeper

Post by dawsonsleeper »

Ripping_reckless wrote:
dawsonsleeper wrote:ive had a lot of problems with 4 stroke race bikes as is. they make them as light as possible to try and get as much performace out of it as possible and im always having problems. thats why im going electric :D

right now i have a 2009 yz250f and its been nonstop problems. every time i get to the track i dont know if it will start or not. hyped to get an alta
you bike only has problems because you dont maintain it properly in 450a we get 2 years out of one bike without even shimming it and this was back from 01 to 07
guess you know exactly what i do to my bikes huh didnt realize. brand new top/bottom end and it blows up in 3 months
jlv wrote:WTF I love Trump now! Make America great again!
Yamaha285
Team: MotoStar Racing

Post by Yamaha285 »

KTM Sucks?

I own a 2017 KTM 250SXF, Prior to this bike i had a 2008 YZ250F that i used on and off the last few years before purchasing my KTM in 2017.

Like all bikes KTM has there little things as well. When you but a new bike they come with a owner/service manual. Read these. Do not be afraid of maintaining you bike. After all you probably just spent $8699.00 on your new 250f. KTM will tell you straight out of the gate things to keep a eye on. Spokes are and have been since 2014 a issue on these bikes. Mainly the rear rim lock location. Rear sprocket bolts even on the 19 are still coming loose the first few rides. All that power to the rear will has to go somewhere and yes its not all applied to the ground.

I had a starter issue after my second ride. Bike would not turn over. I took it back to the dealer pretty pissed but learned the nut over the wire came loose from manufacture. Another thing KTM suggest you look at to make sure it is tight. Im coming up on two years with this bike and i have never seen this issue again.

Front steering nut - If your bike is on a stand and the bars constantly fall to a side extremely easy then its time to adjust this. If your a re skilled enough rider to understand what is happening to a bike while riding it you will have noticed the bike seems rather twitchy in higher speeds. These will loosen again after even the first ride. This is not a flaw it is perfectly normal these do that. If this bolt is to tight you just wont turn its pretty simple. The manual explains this perfectly. Loosen your top triple clamps then remove the nut that is horizontal to the steering nut. Torque the steering nut to 12 Nm or 8.9 ft lbs. Then set that screw that was horizontal to your steering nut back to place in the torque specs i believe its 20 Nm or 14.8 ft lbs then tighten your top triple clamps again. Follow torque guidelines.

Oil service - (seems to be a lot of fear here due to how KTM wants it done and if it is done incorrect you could damage a engine)
Dont worry follow the manual it is rather easy. I changed oil in between 5-7.5 hours on first oil, after shavings are gone from oil and filter this will be a longer life of oil between service. Get the bike hot. Drain oil, There are two oil filter systems. The main one we all know and another right under the counter sprocket that is a thin mesh screen filter. Before filling oil back up pull this filter and clean with brake or carb clean. You will eventually have to replace this refer to owner/service manual. Follow the service manual on how much goes into the bike.

When filling oil back up lay bike down on the right side the the oil filter is looking up. set your filter in and fill oil filter housing almost 1/2 full. check service manual for exact. Close oil filter housing then get bike back to its wheels. Fill remaining oil into engine oil filler location. Usually takes 1.1 QT in total between engine and oil housing. This should fill bike to half in the site glass. NOTE: when bike is actually running this level will most likely drop right at the bottom of the circle do not panic and fill more you can seriously damage engines with to much oil. This creates enormous pressure causing seals to blow out.

Frame bolts - The frame flexer that have 3 star bolts will come loose keep a eye on these. These steel frames flex unlike a aluminum frame. This is normal but most of your are young and probably grew up in the aluminium phase. My 1997 KX60 did this stuff to and my Yamaha 85 and Kawasaki 85.

Tighten your chain - 3 finger rule. Here is the good news. KTM is not cheap so you can actually ride the stock chain on these bikes without having slip through your case - (Most common on all Japanese bikes....) For real though if you own a Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki change that chain right away. They even will tell you this at the dealer as well as all the other shit flaws on them and trust me they have a ton.

Fork seals on the WP AER 48 - Simple instructions. Clean your dam bike. the most common tear to seals is laziness. the hard dry dirt will cut this if you do not wash your bike after every ride day. Also invest in a seal savor that mounts under your fender and between your tire so when you tie down it keeps the fork from compressing to far. Also dont be the guy that leaves your bike tied down in the truck or trailer all the time. That is just stupid.

Like i said these are normal to all manufactures. They all have their things that need addressed. If your looking to buy a bike and not maintain it then shame on you when they fall apart. You cant buy a bike and do nothing to it. Over time you will have yourself a rats nest if you do not follow the service guide.

For the record KTM does not suck. I have been so pleased with the bike that i feel my money was well spent. Remember i cam from Yamaha so the best turning, suspension all around bike on the market and i feel i made a upgrade.
m121c

Post by m121c »

808 wrote:
Finalmushroom wrote:
808 wrote:This is why yamis are the best :wink:
I think they are great but it's all up to what the rider wants as far as how the bike feels. The yamaha is a tall ass bike. lol.

Oh boy, do I have couple horror stories for you about Yamahas and the company in general.
Bubba40
Team: Kyb/Enzo

Post by Bubba40 »

KTM/Husqvarna are the best bikes for the average rider IMO. The maintenance on KTM/Husqvarna are so little compared to a Kawasaki, we had to change the pistons on the Kawasaki KX250F 2013-2017 every 4 hours or we would blow them up. KTM/Husqvarna we do about 12 to 15 hours on a piston.
We have had 1 problem with KTM/Husqvarna and it was a cracked frame but they replaced it in a week so no complements from me .
I'm talking about the practice bike not are race bike.
chaseb31
Team: BPC | let's get it

Post by chaseb31 »

Yamaha 250 / 450 best bike to buy hands down. between maintenance or overall bike and $.
Chase Blakely | Oregon Based
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

m121c wrote:
808 wrote:
Finalmushroom wrote:

Oh boy, do I have couple horror stories for you about Yamahas and the company in general.
For me I really haven't had any serious problems. I clocked 153 track hours before she finally blew up. The biggest thing I've noticed are the goddamn fork seals... They bust every other time I ride
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

m121c wrote:
808 wrote:
Finalmushroom wrote:

I had the photo of your frames side by side, but must have deleted it. I can't find it now.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Gandorlf
Team: Privateer

Post by Gandorlf »

Bubba40 wrote:KTM/Husqvarna are the best bikes for the average rider IMO. The maintenance on KTM/Husqvarna are so little compared to a Kawasaki, we had to change the pistons on the Kawasaki KX250F 2013-2017 every 4 hours or we would blow them up. KTM/Husqvarna we do about 12 to 15 hours on a piston.
We have had 1 problem with KTM/Husqvarna and it was a cracked frame but they replaced it in a week so no complements from me .
Are you putting plastic pistons in it? If you're only getting 4hrs out of a piston then you need to go back to college and learn how to replace them properly. Eli puts over 5 hrs on a piston on his practice bike.
dawsonsleeper

Post by dawsonsleeper »

Gandorlf wrote:
Bubba40 wrote:KTM/Husqvarna are the best bikes for the average rider IMO. The maintenance on KTM/Husqvarna are so little compared to a Kawasaki, we had to change the pistons on the Kawasaki KX250F 2013-2017 every 4 hours or we would blow them up. KTM/Husqvarna we do about 12 to 15 hours on a piston.
Are you putting plastic pistons in it? If you're only getting 4hrs out of a piston then you need to go back to college and learn how to replace them properly. Eli puts over 5 hrs on a piston on his practice bike.
Elis bikes arent anywhere near stock, hes got a very high performance top of the line engine. I sure hope it lasts more than 5 hours.
jlv wrote:WTF I love Trump now! Make America great again!