MX Simulator using mouse input as axis control

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.

Video tutorial?

Yeah
68%
Nah I can figure it out
4%
This is dumb
28%

Total votes: 50

motokid499
Team: Phil's

MX Simulator using mouse input as axis control

Post by motokid499 »

I came across a way to use a mouse as analog input for steering/leaning. This could be beneficial for people who may only have one hand, or perhaps people just wanting an alternate method of controlling their bike in game. I've found that using the mouse for rider movements and steering has greatly increased the level of accuracy I have. Setting up for ruts etc becomes much easier, although it takes a few hours to get used to, and I'm not as good as I am on controller, but I do see benefits that would possibly help in the long run if one commits to it.

JLV has already approved this method of control input. The way I did it was using a device called a XIM Apex. Originally this device was manufactured for using keyboard and mouse on console, but if you use a XBONE controller and hook it up to your pc, it works in the same way, it uses the controller's drivers and translates your mouse input to analog stick control, included is software that lets you completely remap buttons to anything on your mouse. I managed to get every single control i needed to play on my Logitech G502 mouse alone, which I thought was pretty cool. You can also have stuff mapped to your keyboard as well.

Only downside currently is the lack of throttle/brake control as they would have to be moved to buttons. A possible solution might be to hold the controller in one hand and mouse in the other, or use something like the Sony NAV.

Thought it was a cool concept so I figured other people might think so as well. If enough people are interested I'd be willing to make a full video tutorial.
Yay or Nay?
Tanner Rogers
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Re: MX Simulator using mouse input as axis control

Post by MOTOZ293 »

honestly i just wanna see this, im so confused
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

MOTOZ293 wrote:honestly i just wanna see this, im so confused
Well think of a shooter, aiming with mouse vs aiming with the joystick.
Tanner Rogers
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

motokid499 wrote:
make the video i wanna see this
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Reflex actually uses this as its default control scheme on PC. :lol:

Greater accessibility could never hurt anyone!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
TylerMaillet
Team: Privateer

Post by TylerMaillet »

motokid499 wrote:
MXS isn't a shooter though. Almost all racing games are better on a controller. That bein said, for accessibility it could be interesting. It would also be fun trying to play MXS on a mouse lol.
dbaum25moto
Team: DBD

Post by dbaum25moto »

Wanna see how this works out. A video would be great
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Don't take that TOO seriously. But you'd just map x and y axes same as you would with a controller. Ferrari F1 for the Amiga had quite an intuitive mouse input for driving before controllers became more mainstream. Left click for gas, right click for brakes and y axis for steering. At the time it was the smoothest driving input for any racing game. You don't know how bad you had it until the future finally arrives to provide perspective.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

FF1 was a great racing game for the time. The mouse controls weren't bad.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

I agree with your agreement.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

TylerMaillet wrote:
motokid499 wrote:
MXS isn't a shooter though.

He is using an analogy... There are reasons why you don't see CSGO Pro players using a controller. I think it could be a lot easier to learn MXS on a mouse vs a keyboard, skill ceiling would probably be higher as well.
TylerMaillet
Team: Privateer

Post by TylerMaillet »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
TylerMaillet wrote:
motokid499 wrote:
He is using an analogy... I think it could be a lot easier to learn MXS on a mouse vs a keyboard...
I know he was using an analogy, but his analogy was a mouse vs a controller, not a mouse vs a keyboard. A controller is better than a mouse on MX Simulator and that was what I said. But I do think it would be better on a mouse than on a keyboard.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

TylerMaillet wrote:
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
TylerMaillet wrote:
He is using an analogy... I think it could be a lot easier to learn MXS on a mouse vs a keyboard...
I know he was using an analogy, but his analogy was a mouse vs a controller, not a mouse vs a keyboard. A controller is better than a mouse on MX Simulator and that was what I said. But I do think it would be better on a mouse than on a keyboard.
How do you know for certain a controller is better? I would be inclined to believe that you could achieve much greater accuracy for rider movements with a large mouse pad and low DPI in comparison to a joystick on a controller.
TeamHavocRacing

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:DPI
Hey ya! You can tailor that to your taste/skill with any mouse today. That reason alone is enough.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

What I personally think is really cool is the fact that the software allows you to import different curves for the conversion so you can have linear/acceleration or have it reset when mouse movement stops or "hold" the joystick over if you keep the mouse away from center there's so many ways you could set it up. Video coming for sure I wanna continue trying it out.
Tanner Rogers