R.I.P. Mx Simulator

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Re: R.I.P. Mx Simulator

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

aaronr5 wrote:Best comments in this entire thread. There are a lot of arm chair game developers in this community. The argument that MX Simulator could be an AAA game if only jlv would allow content creators to help him develop the game is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Completely disagree with the basis of the comment.

If JLV hired a developer or development team for that matter, to take features that have already been made available by himself and make them fully functioning MXS would be completely different and be much bigger. Think what would be possible by fully developing scripting, javascript, traction, erode etc.

MXS is completely capable of being what iRacing is with a development team in place in my opinion. Drawback being motocross or even if branched out to cross country and flat track additionally, it just wouldn't be as mainstream.
aaronr5
Team: DAM

Post by aaronr5 »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
aaronr5 wrote:Best comments in this entire thread. There are a lot of arm chair game developers in this community. The argument that MX Simulator could be an AAA game if only jlv would allow content creators to help him develop the game is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Completely disagree with the basis of the comment.

If JLV hired a developer or development team for that matter, to take features that have already been made available by himself and make them fully functioning MXS would be completely different and be much bigger. Think what would be possible by fully developing scripting, javascript, traction, erode etc.

MXS is completely capable of being what iRacing is with a development team in place in my opinion. Drawback being motocross or even if branched out to cross country and flat track additionally, it just wouldn't be as mainstream.
These are all valid points. The game would benefit from some more man power most likely. But I still think that saying by hiring a few developers MX Sim would become an "AAA game" and all the sudden that will just spawn a million people who are suddenly interested in a hardcore motocross simulator. I know there are quite a few people who have their pitch forks out because jlv is taking time away from erode stuff and other things to work on scripting but I have faith in what he is doing with it. In my opinion this is just the tip of the iceberg with scripting. The community just overreacts with any little lull in development of things they want.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

aaronr5 wrote:The argument that MX Simulator could be an AAA game if only jlv would allow content creators to help him develop the game is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Jeremy150 wrote:...it could stand up visually next to AAA titles.
The amount of talent this game has seen is insane. Not sure why what I said is the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but it's probably just a lack of knowledge from your end, from not being around much.

People like JRE, he's now on to working for a big game studio. How about P2sta, he's working for some of the largest graphic companies in the world because of his talent. Checkerz448, came from a AAA studio.

I could go on, but I suppose I'm just delusional.
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Jeremy150 wrote: I could go on, but I suppose I'm just delusional.
aaronr5

Post by aaronr5 »

Jeremy150 wrote:
aaronr5 wrote:The argument that MX Simulator could be an AAA game if only jlv would allow content creators to help him develop the game is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Jeremy150 wrote:...it could stand up visually next to AAA titles.
The amount of talent this game has seen is insane. Not sure why what I said is the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but it's probably just a lack of knowledge from your end, from not being around much.

People like JRE, he's now on to working for a big game studio. How about P2sta, he's working for some of the largest graphic companies in the world because of his talent. Checkerz448, came from a AAA studio.

I could go on, but I suppose I'm just delusional.
Don't flatter yourself. I didn't even read your post. I was responding to AC Dash who said this.
Ac Dash wrote: I believe Mx Sim could be a AAA game if JLV were to put his foot down and use the assets he has now before they're all gone.
You can only do so much being one person.

Sim WILL die off in the next few years if it keeps going the way it is.
Also I never bashed anyone in the community about their talent so I'm not sure where that came from.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

aaronr5 wrote:Also I never bashed anyone in the community about their talent so I'm not sure where that came from.
KaseoDip
Village Idiot
Team: Tegridy Farms

Post by KaseoDip »

Imagine if JLV talked to the guys at Milestone and they threw JLV's physics into their game and released it as MX Simulator 2. Man that would be the day...
aaronr5

Post by aaronr5 »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
aaronr5 wrote:Also I never bashed anyone in the community about their talent so I'm not sure where that came from.

How is that bashing their talent? I've got nothing but respect for all the top content creators in this community. The only point I was trying to make is that it would take more than just content creators to make the game an AAA game. It's naive of you to think that all jlv needs to do is hire the best content creators from the sim community and that will make sim a better/more popular game. As I said already, jlv having help would potentially make the game better but lets not haphazardly say it would be an AAA game that was my only gripe. Content creators/game artist are indeed a piece of the puzzle but there are also tons of other factors involved in producing a game of that standard.
beast 519
Team: RIDE365.com

Post by beast 519 »

Turning this game into a AAA game is this easy..
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

The notion that MXS is dead is pretty dumb.

Just because it isnt the way it used to be, doesnt mean the game is failing.

All up from here boys.
beast 519
Team: RIDE365.com

Post by beast 519 »

aaronr5 wrote: It's naive of you to think that all jlv needs to do is hire the best content creators from the sim community and that will make sim a better/more popular game.
Aaron has a great point here. Just because people can work the adobe products doesn't mean they're the front runner for the next game developer. There's plenty of people in the community that are talented individuals and create some insane content for the game, but there's a BIG difference between content and game development...

Side note: Where do we think JLV would get the funds to hire a development team? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not exactly sure he's rolling in cash. If he was I find it HIGHLY doubtful he'd wait ten years to bring someone else on board...
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

beast 519 wrote:Where do we think JLV would get the funds to hire a development team? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not exactly sure he's rolling in cash. If he was I find it HIGHLY doubtful he'd wait ten years to bring someone else on board...
I brought that point up. He would have to find people who understand motocross, which is not easy. let alone paying them
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

I've said it before, but I think the biggest move he could do, is take a year off from developing what we have currently. Instead spend that time on working with a few guys from the community on developing the use of things like HDR environments, Move to a PBR instead of a specular workflow, Dynamic lighting/shadows, Post-processing effects(Motion blur, Depth of field, Ambient occlusion, Bloom, etc.), Erode development, and probably most importantly, optimizations. After completing a few of the above listed he could very easily release the game as MX Simulator 2, and with the right promotion, I believe there would be a massive amount of sales.

I can't speak for others, but I would be more than happy to help make all of those things possible, for an extremely reasonable price. The only reason I still contribute to the game is because I love seeing how far we can push this thing. I personally wouldn't even ask for anything up front.

I don't believe that JLV needs to hire any additional coders. From what I have seen, he appears to be more than capable of achieving what I have listed, code-wise. This wouldn't really be any different than how some things have been implemented into the game. JLV gets an extremely good base code down and then has had select people test it and work on it together. Take terrain normal maps for example. If I'm not mistaken, DJ worked with JLV on it before it was officially released to the community.

I don't think we will ever get to a point where JLV would want to commit to working with people on creating models. From what I understand from talking to people who have worked on major titles, licensing isn't the easiest to get. That's probably better left as it is currently. However he could get people to create generic models and gear.
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

Lock the thread, truth bomb has been dropped.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

I think you're giving far too much credit to a graphics overhaul. It could be cool, but it's not like the game is all that ugly.

I think it could be cool, but if I were 12 years into a successful side project, there is no way I would want to hire a team of people who would want to tell me what to do.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.