Wheres the new snapshot @jlv

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
C.K.234
Team: MXS Magazine KTM

Wheres the new snapshot @jlv

Post by C.K.234 »

There has been a sighting idk if its fake or not but there have been rumors about it and i thought i just gotta ask the man himself and find out. Been a while jlv lol
Evidence:
Weve been kinda in the unknown so itd be very nice if you could let us know if you are still developing this game or not just so we atleast know.
Maybe youve been working on something big somce the last snapshot and waited out a bit or you just chillin itd be cool if we could just know whats going on
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: Wheres the new snapshot @jlv

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

You'll know if he stops development. He keeps us very informed for a 1 man operation that works a day job too. You don't want to rush him do you? It's easy to make mistakes when you're Russian.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Next update will just be a workaround for buggy networks and some server updates. (The PM is referring to the server updates.) Been focusing more on learning to do animation in Blender for my new flaggers so I haven't been doing much to the actual game code lately.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
sethypeety
Team: SpitFire Aprilia

Post by sethypeety »

jlv wrote:Been focusing more on learning to do animation in Blender for my new flaggers.
Sounds interesting, can we expect some sort of bigger update in terms of optimization and graphics quality coming eventually?
C.K.234
Team: MXS Magazine KTM

Post by C.K.234 »

sethypeety wrote:
jlv wrote:Been focusing more on learning to do animation in Blender for my new flaggers.
Sounds interesting, can we expect some sort of bigger update in terms of optimization and graphics quality coming eventually?
yes please and if you need money you could also make it a paid snapshot if you need money i guess people are ready to pay
TeamHavocRacing

Some kids just don't get at all, do they? It's not a matter of money. He would have to abandon this current platform and start over. So, you should learn coding and get busy!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
sethypeety

Post by sethypeety »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Some kids just don't get at all, do they? It's not a matter of money. He would have to abandon this current platform and start over. So, you should learn coding and get busy!
C.K.234 wrote:yes please and if you need money you could also make it a paid snapshot if you need money i guess people are ready to pay
My bad, I should have been more specific, when I say "better graphics" I don't mean better textures, higher resolution and more geometry in the models. Honestly for a game that came out in 2007 you can make this game look pretty good. I just thought since he was working on flagger character models, this might lead to an update where we can use more 3D objects with less aggressive LOD's and leave the 2D billboards for very distant details and smaller grasses. I know what it would take to overhaul the game and I don't expect that out of JLV.
TeamHavocRacing

Oh ya, that's a day and night difference from what a lot of people are asking for. I also could be totally wrong and JLV has the ability to do that.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

sethypeety wrote:
TeamHavocRacing wrote:Some kids just don't get at all, do they? It's not a matter of money. He would have to abandon this current platform and start over. So, you should learn coding and get busy!
C.K.234 wrote:yes please and if you need money you could also make it a paid snapshot if you need money i guess people are ready to pay
My bad, I should have been more specific, when I say "better graphics" I don't mean better textures, higher resolution and more geometry in the models. Honestly for a game that came out in 2007 you can make this game look pretty good. I just thought since he was working on flagger character models, this might lead to an update where we can use more 3D objects with less aggressive LOD's and leave the 2D billboards for very distant details and smaller grasses. I know what it would take to overhaul the game and I don't expect that out of JLV.
LODs are just a fact of life it you want good framerates. There's nothing I can do to make it fast on bloated models aside from having the game create lower LODs by automatically decimating the models. I admit I've considered it but if you want that you can just create the LODs by decimating in Blender.

Graphically what I want to do is redo the terrain engine so it does more per draw call (currently only drawing 8 triangles per call when it should be doing at least 10 times that), decouple the terrain texture tile size from the terrain size (right now it creates more tiles for higher resolution terrains which turns out to be a bad thing), and update the shaders to do all lighting with environment maps.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Where did you read this? That isn't at all what JLV has said.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:LODs are just a fact of life it you want good framerates. There's nothing I can do to make it fast on bloated models aside from having the game create lower LODs by automatically decimating the models. I admit I've considered it but if you want that you can just create the LODs by decimating in Blender.
From testing, I've noticed lag spikes from LOD popping, any idea what's up with that? It's the main reason why personally I've avoided it. It doesn't take much more effort to create a lower LOD, I just don't want to add any extra lag.
jlv wrote:...update the shaders to do all lighting with environment maps.
I think this is the main reason why we see such "bloated" models. We all want to keep up with AAA games such as MVA or MXGP. We aren't even close visually from a model standpoint, even though if you look closely in comparison, our models typically blow theres out of the water. Most likely it's due to being behind the curve on lighting, The amount of talent that comes out of this community is insane, and I can only imagine what we'll see with a graphics update. I know it's a poor excuse to blame the game on making our models high poly, or use high resolution textures, but honestly, it's the only thing that gets us close to other games.

("Decal drop" will be very very beneficial to the game as well :D)
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

I am curious to see some examples of LOD popping within the game if you could Jeremy. It’s something I haven’t noticed in my 10 years. I have noticed the lack of LODs creating more lag.

Hopefully this means OpenGL 4.4? Pretty sure that’s iracing’s current platform.
only one to win something real from the game!
TeamHavocRacing

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
TeamHavocRacing wrote: current platform
Some time ago someone asked about getting more modern graphics features that weren't possible in this game. Since when did facts matter? I just gave alternate facts. Now I'm gonna go slam handfuls of hydroxychloroquin and inject disinfectant while drinking bleach. Facts!
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
TeamHavocRacing wrote: current platform
Some time ago someone asked about getting more modern graphics features that weren't possible in this game. Since when did facts matter? I just gave alternate facts. Now I'm gonna go slam handfuls of hydroxychloroquin and inject disinfectant while drinking bleach. Facts!
lol you got me to laugh for once.

since jeremy can't have a conversation without getting offended and upset, ill just post this here.
The original commmunity on mx simulator was a group of extremely talented modelers and skinners who limited themselves to create low poly objects for the greater good of the game. the goal was best performance while seeking as close to visual realism. original modelers optimized the process by using skins and eventually shaders. these are details that are usually scattered about the bike now (like these details no one really cares about besides the rendering community). when jlv calls models 'bloated' this is what he is talking about. even JRE's rider model uses ~5k more poly's than its predecessor (which added is 200k in rider models from a full gate).. this is why iracing models are extremely low poly yet they are still a growing fan base because of the racing available.

if you want to play render simulator, go for it. im looking for good gameplay.
only one to win something real from the game!
sethypeety

Post by sethypeety »

Jones221 wrote:
since jeremy can't have a conversation without getting offended and upset, ill just post this here.
The original commmunity on mx simulator was a group of extremely talented modelers and skinners who limited themselves to create low poly objects for the greater good of the game. the goal was best performance while seeking as close to visual realism. original modelers optimized the process by using skins and eventually shaders. these are details that are usually scattered about the bike now (like these details no one really cares about besides the rendering community). when jlv calls models 'bloated' this is what he is talking about. even JRE's rider model uses ~5k more poly's than its predecessor (which added is 200k in rider models from a full gate).. this is why iracing models are extremely low poly yet they are still a growing fan base because of the racing available.

if you want to play render simulator, go for it. im looking for good gameplay.
I don't understand why we can't have higher quality models with more aggressive LOD's. Would this not make it so people with higher end PC's that run everything maxed out have a better graphical experience without tanking the frame rate of lower end PC's?