2022-12-23 snapshot

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

2022-12-23 snapshot

Post by jlv »

Changes:
  • Tilemap is now drawn with its own shader.
The new way of drawing the tilemap is much faster, instead of drawing hundreds of thousands or millions of individual triangles it draws it all in one primitive with the fragment shader picking the textures out of an atlas.

Windows users: https://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-2022-12-23-1637.exe
Linux users: https://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-2022-12-23-1637
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Re: 2022-12-23 snapshot

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Having frame dips at load-in and couple seconds after gate drop. Usually didn't have this problem on the 5-19 snapshot. Other than that it runs perfect at max settings for me with no frame dips!

Also the after gate drop frame dip only happens once, going backwards in a demo and replaying it doesn't cause the issue but it happens upon first playthrough.

FPS History after video:
128=10346 64=8 32=21 16=4 8=14 4=2 2=0 1=2
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

DP but after reading some of your other threads it seems like the lag at load-in should be normal behavior for drawing the terrain textures but not sure about the after gate drop lag. That might be a problem.
Noah124
Team: Goated

Post by Noah124 »

So is this one good to race on or should we stick to 03-31
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:50 am DP but after reading some of your other threads it seems like the lag at load-in should be normal behavior for drawing the terrain textures but not sure about the after gate drop lag. That might be a problem.
It has to re-draw them to stay centered on you as you move around. But I don't want to have a situation where you're on the edge and it continuously toggles between the two closest positions, so it waits until get near the edge of the texture to re-center. That way it won't have to re-center again for a while. That's probably why it slowed down on the start straight but not after you rewound. It started centered near the gate, re-centered somewhere near the middle of the start straight, but when you rewound back to the gate drop it didn't get close enough to the edge to re-center again.

Optimizing the tilemap rendering fixed a big bottleneck but it still needs incremental rendering for the decals which is what I'm starting on now.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Noah124 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:01 pm So is this one good to race on or should we stick to 03-31
Probably still better of with the old one. Definitely closer now though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:31 am It has to re-draw them to stay centered on you as you move around. But I don't want to have a situation where you're on the edge and it continuously toggles between the two closest positions, so it waits until get near the edge of the texture to re-center. That way it won't have to re-center again for a while. That's probably why it slowed down on the start straight but not after you rewound. It started centered near the gate, re-centered somewhere near the middle of the start straight, but when you rewound back to the gate drop it didn't get close enough to the edge to re-center again.

Optimizing the tilemap rendering fixed a big bottleneck but it still needs incremental rendering for the decals which is what I'm starting on now.
Gotcha, well this is definitely an improvement compared to the November snapshots. I didn't see incremental terrain rendering in the changes but it ran so well I was almost convinced you did do it! :lol: I was never able to run maxed out ground texture resolution settings on the snapshots back in May, and now I can which is a huge improvement! Good to see the progress, excited for the future.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:50 am Gotcha, well this is definitely an improvement compared to the November snapshots. I didn't see incremental terrain rendering in the changes but it ran so well I was almost convinced you did do it! :lol: I was never able to run maxed out ground texture resolution settings on the snapshots back in May, and now I can which is a huge improvement! Good to see the progress, excited for the future.
I was surprised at how much of a bottleneck the tile rendering was. To benchmark, I was forcing it to do a full redraw of all the terrain textures on every frame and on alcrest it was 11 fps initially, 38 with the atlas and 92 fps with the atlas + shader. Way bigger than I was expecting.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

This snapshot broke my game. I have my textures settings maxed out and it looks like I have everything at 0. It also changed my controller settings so I had to reset all of that. Seems a bit weird for to happen for "tilemap is now drawn with its own shader."
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

DP but the previous snapshot update figured out my issues.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

I'm seeing a subtle, but noticeable, stuttering which I don't recall seeing on previous snapshots. It almost feels like a frame skip or VSync type issue. Hard to quite describe, but the game does not feel smooth. Draw-FPS shows a constant 60. The issue persists on stock tracks as well as the new SX both High, and Medium packs.

Thoughts?

Ryzen 7 2700X
RTX 3060
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

ddmx wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:52 am I'm seeing a subtle, but noticeable, stuttering which I don't recall seeing on previous snapshots. It almost feels like a frame skip or VSync type issue. Hard to quite describe, but the game does not feel smooth. Draw-FPS shows a constant 60. The issue persists on stock tracks as well as the new SX both High, and Medium packs.

Thoughts?

Ryzen 7 2700X
RTX 3060
I had this exact issues, last snapshot. This one seemed to fix it for me.

Frametime jitter for roughly 2-3ms every 10-15sec
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Thanks Racers52. My issue is continuous, but does increase slightly at certain areas of a track.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You're probably getting a hitch every time it has to recenter/redraw the terrain textures. It still draws the decals all at once instead of drawing a little bit on each frame incrementally. Working on that now.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Something interesting about the frame rate issue. Did some time trial over lunch, frames consistent at 125 and smooth. Did some time trial after work, exact same settings, frames locked at 60 and jittery.