Developer's log

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Developer's log

Post by jlv »

Stardate 2024-03-27-1663

Hey guys! This has been suggested quite a few times so I'll write about what I'm currently working on here.

Right now I'm finishing up the new terrain tessellation code. It used to create a nearly ideal tessellation that resulted in very few polygons but lots of draw calls and lots of data sent from system memory to graphics memory. This is what the old tessellation looked like:

Now, I think this is a beautiful tessellation. It focuses detail closer to the camera and on bumpy areas and also has no T-junctions. It's a lot of the reason why MXS could do big maps with no draw distance limits on ancient graphics cards. But it's slow today.

The new way does the same basic thing, except instead of tessellating down to 8 triangle fans, it works on 16x16 grids of those fans. So it's much less accurate and makes way more polygons, but everything now resides in graphics memory and is more uniform so the GPU can spend less time waiting for memory and also work in larger batches. Here's what the new way looks like:

Kind of sad to lose the more detailed tessellation but this is unquestionably better on modern hardware. Testing on a GT 1030 it went from 68 FPS to 127 FPS on the 4k thousandacres terrain.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Rowella94
Team: Mug Mafia

Re: Developer's log

Post by Rowella94 »

Really neat stuff, always cool to see behind the scenes
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

This is great to read! Thanks JLV!
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

68 to 127 fps on thousand acres is an incredible improvement. Can't wait for this to be finished up!
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

Thanks for the update!