graphics?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
xlr8bigmike

graphics?

Post by xlr8bigmike »

ok first of im not trying to be that annoying one that does not search the forums or the guy who is bitching about graphics cause believe me i know game play comes first.

ok so why are the graphics pretty weak? can the engine just not handle it or what? and also i have a cool idea for rut creation, i don't know much about coding but this is my idea for how bikes could create natural ruts in the game. When the tire is going over the terrain it takes advantage of the displacement map system and uses a negative brush "black" and as the tire goes over it decreased the terrain elevation. there fore real time track erosion. i know sounds simple to say but not sure if anyone has thought of it like that so i wanted to throw that out there.

and if there is anything i can do to help i am game.
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Re: graphics?

Post by mace-x »

xlr8bigmike wrote:ok first of im not trying to be that annoying one that does not search the forums or the guy who is bitching about graphics cause believe me i know game play comes first.

ok so why are the graphics pretty weak? can the engine just not handle it or what? and also i have a cool idea for rut creation, i don't know much about coding but this is my idea for how bikes could create natural ruts in the game. When the tire is going over the terrain it takes advantage of the displacement map system and uses a negative brush "black" and as the tire goes over it decreased the terrain elevation. there fore real time track erosion. i know sounds simple to say but not sure if anyone has thought of it like that so i wanted to throw that out there.

the rut idea sounds pretty cool, that could be implemented true?
i guess that are pretty weak coz the game uses opengl1.1 if i remember well, anyways i asked for efects and better graphics gefore and jlv said that its possible, i hope that something goes on..
Last edited by mace-x on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Post by rewrew421 »

xlr8bigmike wrote:ok first of im not trying to be that annoying one that does not search the forums or the guy who is bitching about graphics cause believe me i know game play comes first.

How else would there be ruts made in a game? That system is already in use. and the graphics are pretty good in my opinion.
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

xlr8bigmike wrote:When the tire is going over the terrain it takes advantage of the displacement map system and uses a negative brush "black" and as the tire goes over it decreased the terrain elevation. there fore real time track erosion.
That actually is in this game if you add the tag "--erode x" with x being the strength of the erosion. The only problem, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, is the each pixel on the displacement map represents 2 feet. Therefore when the bike runs across the track, each pixel the bike touches is eroded by whatever strength you have in the tag. So even though the bike tire is only 4 inches wide, it erodes a 2 foot section. But there is hope. Some people on here--not me--have discovered how to make ruts in photoshop that are realistic. But still these ruts are pre-made in the track and do not change with gameplay. I hope someone can help you more with this, but I am terrible with photoshop. But the best thing to do is just try making your own tracks and see what you can do.

--wow that was long winded. lol
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
xlr8bigmike

Post by xlr8bigmike »

haha yeah alright cool. i figured that was being used. yeah i guess i need to actually buy the game and start playing. i want to see this work.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

erode works with the demo aswell. Track textures are becoming better and better as you see in the Track thread, and new bike models are in the works.
rewrew421

Post by rewrew421 »

D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
Dustin434

Post by Dustin434 »

From what ive seen thats not how the erode works it seems that when u get on the gas it puts a hole and its not that realistic imo
"90 percent of the game is half mental"-Yogi Berra
Thanks To Kawasakis For The Sig
xlr8bigmike

Post by xlr8bigmike »

oh alright yeah that's cool just need to get he pixel to inch ratio down then i guess.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

What it does is it lowers the ground by 1.0 strength, and I think it has something to do with your RPM's too, which is why they are choppy-ish.

I think what would be cool is to set it to your regular lower by 1.0, and then have it follow in a smudge, so it blends the holes together.

And yes, HD ruts are possible. There are a few tracks (Mainly Gordys Indianapolis SX) that has these ruts, and your tire barely fits in them.

I plan on releasing a Southwick with ruts of a similar design.
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

i dont think it just digs down, i think it is also supposed to move the earth a little, so natural berms form up as the dirt is mounded to the side. This part works fairly well. BTW :idea: if the the track is at twice the definition, does that mean that erode also goes at twice the definition as it is moving the same number of pixels but less units, or does it not work like that? just thinking aloud :mrgreen:
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The erosion is pretty simple. When a roost particle is thrown, it lowers the ground at the starting point and raises it at the landing point of the particle. The reason it looks like it digs more than it builds is most likely the more random positioning of the landing points. The tire is always digging from the same spot but the roost is landing all over the place.
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

its would be awesome if the textures would be like untamed... untamed sucks.. but textures are awesome..
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

ddmx

Post by ddmx »

the textures could easily be just as good as untamed, even better. It just so happens that all of the legendary track texturers reside over at mgf playing mva and no one here has stepped up.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'm thinking we should sneak over to MGF, shove wingman in a bag, and drag his ass over here.