Just turned arcade off...good gosh!

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
DoctorJD
Team: Privateer

Just turned arcade off...good gosh!

Post by DoctorJD »

Okay, I thought I was a good gamer, but this is impossible. I downloaded MXS about three weeks ago, learned the ropes; downloading tracks, models, skins, the whole nine yards. I had been riding this whole time with arcade turned on until I learned that "arcade off" is the only respectable way to play. After doing so, I literally can't even go in a straight line. The front wheel knifes and I high-side at the least bit of side-to-side input. I've got the stability set a 100, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What is a good setup for someone just someone just learning how to play this thing? Riding tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Aeck Racing 26
Team: TRE MX

Re: Just turned arcade off...good gosh!

Post by Aeck Racing 26 »

take it slow, dont rush and just practice
zipper63
Team: WLG

Post by zipper63 »

DoctorJD wrote:Okay, I thought I was a good gamer, but this is impossible. I downloaded MXS about three weeks ago, learned the ropes; downloading tracks, models, skins, the whole nine yards. I had been riding this whole time with arcade turned on until I learned that "arcade off" is the only respectable way to play. After doing so, I literally can't even go in a straight line. The front wheel knifes and I high-side at the least bit of side-to-side input. I've got the stability set a 100, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What is ays good setup for someone just someone just learning how to play this thing? Riding tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
use a stability around 50, make sure you don't hold the turning button in just click it until he lays down anough (you basicly lean the bike, not turn the handlebar) take some time and it will work out. but be patient. i aint too good but i can do most stuff that others (just a hell lot more chrashes). It takes time to get to my point, don't wanna think about how many hours ddmx, sween and those have put down!
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

It takes a lot to get good at it.. No one learned to play over a week.
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

CabinRacing

Post by CabinRacing »

Hey DockJD. i got the game from my brother,started with 'arcade off',got so irrataded 'cause i couldnt ride 3seconds without falling,overshot evrey single burm,went over the handelbars on EVERY single jump ect ect,you know what i'm talking about!!! hahaha,avter a couple of minutes i would become so fustrated that i wantded to piss my pants. but know,after about 3months of playing (almost everyday after work for atleast 2-3 hours,well somtimes 7-8 hahaha) i've become quite good,got my stability down to 9 already and are only know stating to rip,putting in almost fall less laps,flatout through 90% of the tracks. JUST KEEP PLAYING,and what worked for me was,just ride one easy track,record a gost and race your gost,beating him and riding the new faster gost. when you think you cant do better,try take atleast a nother 2seconds of that time. in that way you will learn how the bike feels and where the grip is ect ect. dont jump between tracks the whole time,its only gona make you crazy,get a track you like and stick with it,everyday you'l learn somthing 'bout the game and go a lill bit faster,i'm still learning stuff. goodluck man :mrgreen:
Jester#132

Post by Jester#132 »

^ What he said, I did that alot when I had no internet, then I really got intoo sx, and since I've been playing online I feel like progress is much faster, since I don't just 'ragequit' now, I actually wanna finish the race, just cause I hate being a quitter, and I don't wanna get all those DNF's on my account.. :oops:
"I didn't jump the gate...it musta' flipped back up, after I went over it!?!"
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

zipper63 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:Okay, I thought I was a good gamer, but this is impossible. I downloaded MXS about three weeks ago, learned the ropes; downloading tracks, models, skins, the whole nine yards. I had been riding this whole time with arcade turned on until I learned that "arcade off" is the only respectable way to play. After doing so, I literally can't even go in a straight line. The front wheel knifes and I high-side at the least bit of side-to-side input. I've got the stability set a 100, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What is ays good setup for someone just someone just learning how to play this thing? Riding tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
use a stability around 50, make sure you don't hold the turning button in just click it until he lays down anough (you basicly lean the bike, not turn the handlebar) take some time and it will work out. but be patient. i aint too good but i can do most stuff that others (just a hell lot more chrashes). It takes time to get to my point, don't wanna think about how many hours ddmx, sween and those have put down!
actually, in MXS you are controlling the handlebars ONLY...... leaning is a function of handlebar input.

As in real life, only a small force on the handlebars is needed to lean the bike over. Initially, you may twitch them to flick the bike over, but once its leaned over you are not applying turning force to the bars. Instead, you are making small adjustments to keep the bike leaned at an angle. If you were to apply constant turning force to the handlebars in real life, you'd indeed fall over.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

I think Alcrest is probably one of the nicest tracks to learn on, the berms are nice to lean into and pretty forgiving. Once you master a clean lap (front break helps) you can concentrate on braking later, throttling earlier etc. Once you think you have it dialled, move onto a harder track and watch as the frustration starts all over again :P Enjoy :)
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Phathry made a good point about 1st gear only around a track(manual shifting is a must too). Try it.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

First off: get a controller, most people seem to preffer the the xbox 360 controller.
The controller allows for a much more precise input when it comes to steering, throttle, brakes and clutch.

Second: don't expect too much too fast.. it takes a lot of practice and precision to play MXS.
I recommend starting at 70-80 stability. Don't try to go too fast, just ride around and try not to crash. Get used to the feeling. once you get a bit of control gradually turn down the stability ad try to increase your speed.
you will see that in the first 2-3 weeks you become faster every day by just practicing half an hour or an hour each day.

on the topic of setup we cant really give you anything since this is very different for each player. I know i can't ride with setups of some of the fastest guys out there just because I have a totally different style.
I can say that it is generally better to have your front suspension stiffer than the back. this will also help you get rid of those annoying front flips that every newcommer deals with.

riding tips are basically the same as in real life mxs. steady throttle through corners and over jumps. use braking and throttle to level the bike in the air. nuts on the tank in tight turns.
Don't try scrubbing :P I play this game for 1,5 year now and still crash half the time I try haha.
And when you attempt whips. the key is to be smooth, an overenthusiastic whip mostly ends in a crash, so start small.

2 things you need to play MXS are: Love for MX and patience. If you don't have either one of those you will rage quit and never come back to this game :)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
HAMMERDOWN
Team: Tagger Designs

Post by HAMMERDOWN »

hey what i did was I started at 80 stab and every day i went down 10 stab till i got to 0
"Its better to be pissed off then pissed on"
DoctorJD

Post by DoctorJD »

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I haven't tried manual shifting yet, I'll switch it up tonight.
Failed to mention, that I recently bought an Xbox controller.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I thought it was harder playing at ~80 stability when I first started, then one day I jacked it down to 40 or 50 and thought it was a lot easier. Much more predictable as there aren't artificial forces that suddenly change magnitude in an attempt to keep you level.

I also turn up the slow speed leveling or whatever it is in the advanced stability menu.

Food for thought.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
rainey06au
Team: Honda

Post by rainey06au »

I'm relatively new to MXS (had it for a month now), I remember before buying the full product when I tried the demo - i'm always one for a challenge and prefer realism so I turned arcade off immediately... woah it felt impossible to get going without tumbling over... It would have to have been the strangest introduction to a game for me, I literally questioned if the game had installed properly (lol). Now riding is all second nature!
DoctorJD

Post by DoctorJD »

Had a huge breakthrough last night! Changed some settings (mostly steering and roll settings) that tightened the bike up to the point that it was actually hard to do anything but go in a straight line. From there I started loosening-up the settings and backing off the stability a bit (from 100 down to 80). I can now make complete laps without randomly high-siding. Not fast laps mind you, but crash-free laps. I guess you can say it was an "ah ha!" moment. Now I've just got to tweak the suspension settings so I don't endo every time I jump.

Again, thanks for the help!