Making normal maps for your decals

MX181

Re: Making normal maps for your decals

Post by MX181 »

Jamie T wrote:For some reason, this hasn't worked for me...

You mention specular maps as well... Is there any "offical" documentation from JLV on this? I'm having trouble finding anything on the subject of normal and specular maps.

I have got the base game, and updated it with the latest snapshot. Is there anything else I need?
I need to add specular mapping, and how to alpha edges in this tutorial. I haven't had time but when I do it isn't the first thing I think of doing. So maybe one day ill add them
twistmoto
Team: TwistMoto Racing

Post by twistmoto »

This is a cool tutorial but, thought I might share this too. I was looking for an easy way to do this without having to pay CrazyBump price or doing it in PS and I ran across a program called ShaderMap2 for only 40 bucks. I was able to do all of my decals in about 30 minutes or so, and that was just because I kept changing the actual decal I was using. It sets up your spec and normal. The alpha can be saved so you don't have to worry about the step either. Anyways hope this may help someone too. ;)
http://shadermap.com/home/
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

twistmoto wrote:This is a cool tutorial but, thought I might share this too. I was looking for an easy way to do this without having to pay CrazyBump price or doing it in PS and I ran across a program called ShaderMap2 for only 40 bucks. I was able to do all of my decals in about 30 minutes or so, and that was just because I kept changing the actual decal I was using. It sets up your spec and normal. The alpha can be saved so you don't have to worry about the step either. Anyways hope this may help someone too. ;)
Pics or it didn't happen.
Hi
Jamie T
Team: Privateer

Post by Jamie T »

MX181 wrote:I need to add specular mapping, and how to alpha edges in this tutorial. I haven't had time but when I do it isn't the first thing I think of doing. So maybe one day ill add them
But where have you got your knowledge from on this subject? I'd like to find some kind of "official" info on these subjects, as your tutorial hasn't worked for me unfortunately. Just to be clear as well, I'm not having an issue with the actual creation of bumps maps, the only problem I have, is having them appear in the game.

When new features are added to this game, isn't there any information source detailing how to utilise the various features?
Jamie T

Post by Jamie T »

Alright, I got it figured out...

I needed to add the line 'dynamic_lighting 1' to my lighting file. I recommend adding this to the tutorial, as the blank track template files I had must be outdated now.

No edit post function on this forum...? :-/
twistmoto
Team: TwistMoto Racing

Post by twistmoto »

Boblob801 wrote:
twistmoto wrote:This is a cool tutorial but, thought I might share this too. I was looking for an easy way to do this without having to pay CrazyBump price or doing it in PS and I ran across a program called ShaderMap2 for only 40 bucks. I was able to do all of my decals in about 30 minutes or so, and that was just because I kept changing the actual decal I was using. It sets up your spec and normal. The alpha can be saved so you don't have to worry about the step either. Anyways hope this may help someone too. ;)
Pics or it didn't happen.
Not at home right now, but I will get some your way when I get back... :twisted:
MX181

Post by MX181 »

MX181 wrote:another thing that will needed to be changed is your lighting file. 'dynamic_lighting 1' will need to be added to the end of your lighting file for oyur norms to work.
what do you mean it isnt official. it works doesnt it. and for programs that do it for you, they work sometimes. but sometimes this is the best method and it works vice-a-versa
Jamie T

Post by Jamie T »

Thanks for the edit.

I just meant official in the sense of documentation about track editing from the developer of MX Sim. I was wondering which source you got the information from about how to enable bump and spec maps in the game. I'm very new to this game so I'd like to see what else there is, so that I can be sure I'm getting the full potential out of the editor.
MX181

Post by MX181 »

Jamie T wrote:Thanks for the edit.

I just meant official in the sense of documentation about track editing from the developer of MX Sim. I was wondering which source you got the information from about how to enable bump and spec maps in the game. I'm very new to this game so I'd like to see what else there is, so that I can be sure I'm getting the full potential out of the editor.
Just look in the tutorial section there is every thing you need to now and this goes for modelling, track making, skinning. There is no official documentation, don't know how it is on the MvA side of the world, for stuff to do there is so many ways and that this is just my way and that goes for everything.
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

There are release notes for every snapshot and game update but...IMO it just takes a while to get all the info from threads here as well as some trial and error. I am happy to help PM me if you want or I can give you my Skype addy, that is the best way no doubt.
MX181

Post by MX181 »

SMR 510RR wrote:

There are release notes for every snapshot and game update but...IMO it just takes a while to get all the info from threads here as well as some trial and error. I am happy to help PM me if you want or I can give you my Skype addy, that is the best way no doubt.
God damnit Jason, your simply just to good of a guy I am yet to fault you
MX181

Post by MX181 »

Just reupdated this with new pics as the old ones were taken down on photobucket. lets see how long these ones last HA