sphere mapped sky to sky box conversion

aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Re: sphere mapped sky to sky box conversion

Post by aeffertz »

So, after I run the bat file, where does it save the sky images to? I run the bat file and I see it open and close the POV program numeroous times but I have no idea where it's saving the pictures or if it even is. Searching for sky-n on my computer only comes up with skyboxes for tracks I've downloaded...
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Oh, it's not able to create them because it says it can't read the width and height from the PPM image.
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Okay, apparently Photoshop wasn't saving the PPM file correctly. Got it squared away now.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Is there any possible way to figure out how to find the sun vector for your lighting file?
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Nevermind, found DJ's Tutorial.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Nvm that tutorial was totally useless with the method I used, anyone have any suggestions on how to get the sun vector with the google maps method?
http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?t=33005
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Yeah I give up on this custom skybox, having too many issues lol.
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Post by ColtonD719 »

jlv wrote:- Run "makeskybox.bat". You might have to edit the first line depending on where you have POV-Ray installed.
I am able to render the images manually one at a time, but when I try to run the batch file, I get "Possible parse error: cannot find skybox.pov" Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am using POV-Ray 3.7 on Windows 10 via Parallels on my iMac. I have edited the makeskybox.bat to point to the correct POV-Ray directory, and the makeskybox.bat, skybox.pov, and spheremap are all in the same folder.

Thanks!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

ColtonD719 wrote:
jlv wrote:- Run "makeskybox.bat". You might have to edit the first line depending on where you have POV-Ray installed.
I am able to render the images manually one at a time, but when I try to run the batch file, I get "Possible parse error: cannot find skybox.pov" Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am using POV-Ray 3.7 on Windows 10 via Parallels on my iMac. I have edited the makeskybox.bat to point to the correct POV-Ray directory, and the makeskybox.bat, skybox.pov, and spheremap are all in the same folder.

Thanks!
Your current directory has to be the folder where you extracted the zip. So for Windows, first "cd c:\wherever\you\unzipped\skybox" then "makeskybox.bat".

If you're on a Mac the shell script (makeskybox.sh) will probably work. Just edit the "povray=/opt/povray/bin/povray" line to point to where you have POV-Ray installed, then "cd /wherever/you/unzipped/skybox" then "./makeskybox.sh".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.