tileinfo info

jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

tileinfo info

Post by jlv »

Here's what everything does in the tileinfo file.

name <name>
Sets the name that will show in the editor when in tilemap editing mode.

friction <coefficient of friction> <slip speed>
This sets the friction for a specific slip speed. The friction value used will be interpolated from the nearest speeds set. You can set the friction for up to 8 different speeds.

slip_function <function number>
This sets the function used to find the coefficient of friction for a given slip speed.
0=interpolated with squared speed (this is the default setting)
1=interpolated
2=interpolated; slip speed is the projection of the contact patch velocity to the normalized slip velocity vector. This makes the effective slip speed dependent on the direction the wheel is moving. If the slip is with the motion, the speed will be positive otherwise it'll be negative. This lets you ramp up the friction way sooner for braking and turning without affecting acceleration. The idea is if the slip is with the motion, it's moving material and should ramp up. If it's against it, it's not moving material and should ramp down if anything.

roll_resist <low pressure resistance> <high pressure resistance> <speed>
This sets the rolling resistance for a given speed. The values used will be interpolated from the nearest speeds set. You can set this for 8 speeds.

texture <texture filename>
This sets the texture for the tile.

erode_depth <depth>
This sets how deep the erosion will be. Default is 1.0.

erode_lower <force>
This is the lowest force that will cause erosion. Lower forces will not cause any erosion. Default is 50.0.

erode_upper <force>
This is the upper limit on erode force. Higher forces than this will not cause extra erosion. Default is 150.0.

erode_displacement <distance>
This sets the displacement for the maximum erode force in feet. Default is 2.0.

erode_radius <radius>
This sets the radius of the eroded area in feet. Default is 4.0.

erode_inner_depth <depth>
This sets how deep the inner erosion will be. This is applied in addition to the regular depth/radius when digging. Default is 0.125.

erode_inner_radius <radius>
This sets the inner radius of the eroded area in feet. This is applied in addition to the regular depth/radius when digging. Default is 2.0.

erode_min_slope <slope>
This sets the minimum slope erosion will create. Default is -0.5.

erode_max_slope <slope>
This sets the maximum slope erosion will create. Default is 0.5.

erode_off_speed <feet per second>
This sets the minimum speed required for erosion to happen in feet/second. Default is 10.0

erode_on_speed <feet per second>
This sets the speed where erosion is fully on in feet/second. Default is 15.0

erode_slip_base_scale <scale>
This sets the erode force scaling when the slip rate is below the lower limit. Default is 1.0.

erode_slip_scale <scale>
This sets the erode force scaling when the slip rate is over the upper limit. Default is 1.5.

erode_slip_lower <feet per second>
This sets the slip speed where erode_slip_base_scale is used. Default is 0.0.

erode_slip_upper <feet per second>
This sets the slip speed where erode_slip_scale is used. Default is 5.0.

erode_downhill_scale <scale>
This increases the depth setting when eroding downhill. Default is 0.0.

erode_limit <depth> <limit> <inner limit>
This sets the erode limit at a specific depth. When the track is worn to the specified depth, the depth and inner depth will be multiplied by the limit and inner limit respectively. When between depths it will interpolate. Default is 1 1 at depth 0 and 0 0 at depth 1.

erode_project_to_ground <projection amount>
This projects the force vector to the surface of the terrain. On flat ground this will make no difference. On slopes, this will lessen the force if it's aimed into the slope. 0 is no projection, 1 is full projection and values between 0 and 1 interpolate. Default is 1.0.

erode_front_scale <scale>
This scales the force from the front wheel. Use lower values to prevent braking bumps and less berm on corner entry. Default is 1.0.

erode_lateral_scale <scale>
This scales the force lateral to the velocity. Use lower values to prevent berms from forming. Default is 1.0.

roost <option>=<value>
This sets roost paramters. You can have 4 different roost types. Here are the parameters, with their default values:
  • texture=@roost.png
    This sets the texture used for the roost.

count=10
    This sets how many roost particles will be thrown per step.

dig=1.0
    This sets how much the roost will dig into the ground when track erosion is enabled.

slip_threshold=4.0
    If the slip speed is less than this no roost particles will be thrown.

slow_speed=0.0 fast_speed=64.0 slow_angle=1.57 fast_angle=0.196
    These control how far the roost follows the wheel. The speeds are in radians per second. The slow angle will be used at the slow speed and the high angle will be used at the high speed. The speeds in between are interpolated between the squared speeds.

size=0.25
    This is the initial size of the roost billboard.

grow=4.0
    This is how much the roost will grow in 1 second.

drag=0.5
    This is the drag value. The roost particle will decelerate by its velocity scaled by this value every second.

vscale=1.0
    This scales the initial velocity of the roost particle.

randomize=15.0
    This randomizes the initial velocity of the roost particle.

r=255 g=255 b=255 a=255
    This is the initial color of the roost.

fade_r=0 fade_g=0 fade_b=0 fade_a=-256
    This is how much the roost color will change every second.

splash=0
    If you set this to 1, instead of following the wheel the roost will splash out at 45 degree angles to the sides. Some of the other settings are ignored if this is 1.
treadmark <option>=<value>
This adds a treadmark. You can have up to 8 different treadmarks per tile type. Here are the available parameters with default values:
  • texture=<none>
    This sets the texture used for the treadmark decal.

size=8.0
    This sets how long the treadmark decals are.

aspect=0.5
    This sets how wide the treadmark decals are relative to their length.

spacing=6.0
    This sets how far apart the treadmark decals are spaced.

offset=0.0
    This sets the offset. Positive numbers move the decal backwards towards the previous decal.

slip_threshold=0.0
    With this setting the treadmark will only be used if the wheel is sliding at more than this speed in feet per second. If a negative value is used, it has to be sliding at less than the absolute value of this speed.

speed_threshold=0.0
    With this setting the treadmark will only be used if the wheel is moving at more than this speed in feet per second. If a negative value is used, it has to be moving at less than the absolute value of this speed. This is useful if you want to use longer decals at high speed as an optimization.

front=-1
    This lets you make the treadmark specific to either the front or rear wheel. 0 is rear, 1 is front, -1 is either.
addtile
This adds the tile to the list.
Last edited by jlv on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJ99X

Re: tileinfo info

Post by DJ99X »

Is it possible to make dust that hangs around for a few seconds using those parameters? Because I can only make them last a second or 2. I'm guessing the game just discards the particle after 1 second?

5000th Post :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Try increasing the drag. You might also have to increase vscale and randomize so the particles will elevate before the drag stops them.

You can prevent or slow down the fade out by changing fade_a to 0 or -128. (fade_a is stored as an integer so you don't get very fine granularity.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Just out of curiosity, what is the minimum count allowed? I tried 0.25 but I'm not sure if the game actually goes below 1, it's hard to tell.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

It might need to be an integer
giopanda
Team: Privateer

Post by giopanda »

exactly what i wanted to know!
thank you so much jlv, you're making this game pure awesomeness!
i'm having a problem setting the initial friction very low like you posted in the game suggestion thread..now it remains slippery throughout the entire speed range..any idea how is it possible?
i have this:
friction 0.25 4.0
friction 1.0 6.0

and now back on notepad++!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

ddmx488 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the minimum count allowed? I tried 0.25 but I'm not sure if the game actually goes below 1, it's hard to tell.
It does go below 1. For 0.25 there is a 25% chance it will throw a particle.
giopanda wrote:exactly what i wanted to know!
thank you so much jlv, you're making this game pure awesomeness!
i'm having a problem setting the initial friction very low like you posted in the game suggestion thread..now it remains slippery throughout the entire speed range..any idea how is it possible?
i have this:
friction 0.25 4.0
friction 1.0 6.0

and now back on notepad++!
Can you post the whole file?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

jlv wrote: dig=1.0
This sets how much the roost will dig into the ground when track erosion is enabled.
So if --erode 0.2 is in your command line, and dig is 1.0, will it be any different than having --erode 1.0 and dig 1.0?
And if so, what will be different about it?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

They're multiplied together.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'd assume that the erode number is multiplied by the dig number. So the dig number is the maximum, and erode number is the fraction.

EDIT: Damn, he beat me too it
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

So how does the existing "texturelist" file play into all of this?

Is it totally obsolete or does the texturelist file tie the tileinfo file into the game...?
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Question 2

Does the tile texture actually have any affect ingame, as the old way, the tile texture did not matter because it got covered by a decal...
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

You could make your dirt tile texture pink polka dots, and no one would ever see it. With that said, a simple brown for mud, green for grass, white for sand, ect ect would work just fine.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Garasaki wrote:So how does the existing "texturelist" file play into all of this?

Is it totally obsolete or does the texturelist file tie the tileinfo file into the game...?
Yes, texturefile is obsolete
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

ddmx488 wrote:You could make your dirt tile texture pink polka dots, and no one would ever see it.
That's actually very close to what I do, which is why I was concerned people might see it :shock: