tileinfo info

Brock1198
Team: Cycleworks

Re: tileinfo info

Post by Brock1198 »

https://www.facebook.com/Vannmartin421/ ... 561959484/ a local pro from the houston area on one. kinda shows how grippy they are
jlv wrote:
yzmxer608 wrote:Alrighty jlv time to lock this, politic arguments get people nowhere fast. :?
Are you kidding me? This is a perfect opportunity to break out the American Chopper meme!
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

If the launch pad subject ever wants to get touched on again, heres a pretty good video I think, with legit pads and legit riders.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeGPlkGhKbb/?taken-by=mxgp
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

jlv wrote:
erode_limit <depth> <limit> <inner limit>
This sets the erode limit at a specific depth. When the track is worn to the specified depth, the depth and inner depth will be multiplied by the limit and inner limit respectively. When between depths it will interpolate. Default is 1 1 at depth 0 and 0 0 at depth 1.
Will you help me understand this a little better please?
First, is this the default settings as you have mentioned above?
erode_limit 0.0 1.0 1.0
erode_limit 1.0 0.0 0.0

First number is the depth? So, here we have a depth range of 0 and 1 foot? Does this have any relation to the erode_depth setting? It sounds like maybe between the 0 and 1, the first 1 foot of depth, it'll interpolate. After that it'll erode at a fixed value until it reaches erode_depth?
Can you give me like a real working example of how changing each number would make the erode different? Please.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The first number tells it when to use that setting. If the track is worn 1 foot below the original height, it will use the line where <depth> is 1. The second and third numbers scale erode_depth and erode_inner_depth.

You have the default correct. That will gradually reduce erode_depth and erode_inner_depth to 0 as the track reaches 1 foot underground. Should be something like dirt that gets progressively harder until becomes concrete at 1 foot deep.

If you want it to be unaffected for the first foot and then suddenly hit a hard concrete layer, try this:

erode_limit 0.0 1.0 1.0
erode_limit 0.9 1.0 1.0
erode_limit 1.0 0.0 0.0

Going the other way, if you want a hard layer that gets softer as it breaks through, maybe something like mud that's dried out on the surface, try this:

erode_limit 0.0 0.25 0.25
erode_limit 0.25 1.0 1.0
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

Im having a hard time getting the erode to stop. I've set both erode depth values to 0.5 and then I have this:

erode_limit 0.0 1.0 1.0
erode_limit 0.4 1.0 1.0
erode_limit 0.5 0.0 0.0

So, shouldn't that stop erode dead in its tracks at 1/2 a foot? It just keeps going for me.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It only tests the depth directly under the wheel. It can go deeper than the limit because the radius will affect neighboring areas that might already be under the limit. Shouldn't get too far though. How deep is it going?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

The ground was completely flat, 0.00. It went as deep as 0.75ish. But was too bumpy for me to keep hitting the same line. I'll have to test it more to see if it would have gone deeper. I did have erode set on 50 (going for quick testing :oops: ), maybe that could be why, not as accurate?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

A big erode setting might make it worse but the real reason is because it checks the spot under the wheel, and then lowers the entire radius. (Obviously, less at the edges but you know what I mean.) So if you dig at one spot to put it under .5, then go 2 feet to the side and go again, it'll put it below the limit if the radius is over 2 feet. Probably would have been nicer to test at each point in the height map but this way was faster and easier.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Post by ColtonD719 »

Is there a way to add comments to the tileinfo file? Would be handy for keeping track of my tiles.

I.e.

Code: Select all

/* Grass No Erode */
friction 1.0 1.0
roll_resist 5.0 25.0 10.0
roll_resist 5.0 50.0 50.0
erode_depth 0
texture @grass.ppm
roost texture=@splash.png count=4 grow=1.5 slow_angle=1.0 drag=0 size=1.0 r=63 g=34 b=20 fade_a=0
roost texture=@grassthin16x16.png count=1 vscale=0.25 size=1.0
addtile
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Nothing official. It does continue reading after it encounters a line it doesn't understand, so if you did something like this

# This is a comment

It would emit a warning but still read the rest of the file. Obviously not something you'd want to do on purpose though. I'll add real comments in the next update.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

jlv wrote:I'll add real comments in the next update.
Foe all files or just tileinfo? Gradients could potentially be useful too.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It'd just be tileinfo, maybe lighting too. For the other files the comments would be destroyed every time you saved.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

ColtonD719 wrote:Is there a way to add comments to the tileinfo file? Would be handy for keeping track of my tiles.

I.e.

Code: Select all

/* Grass No Erode */
friction 1.0 1.0
roll_resist 5.0 25.0 10.0
roll_resist 5.0 50.0 50.0
erode_depth 0
texture @grass.ppm
roost texture=@splash.png count=4 grow=1.5 slow_angle=1.0 drag=0 size=1.0 r=63 g=34 b=20 fade_a=0
roost texture=@grassthin16x16.png count=1 vscale=0.25 size=1.0
addtile
I've just been naming ppm's something like "noerode.ppm".
But what would be really helpful is seeing that name in game.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Instead of comments, would a "name" field that shows in the editor be better?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Post by ColtonD719 »

jlv wrote:Instead of comments, would a "name" field that shows in the editor be better?
That would be awesome.