tileinfo info

checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: tileinfo info

Post by checkerz »

jlv wrote:
checkerz wrote:
jlv wrote:Maybe try erode_upper 100 and erode_displacement 1. The radius is really small though. It's gonna be choppy.
Will do. To make sure I'm understanding correctly, the radius is the width of the terrain affected by the tire correct (both up and down)? So 3.5 feet being effected by an 8 inch tire seems on the big side already or am I missing something? Or just is on the small side for what the game can handle?

Sounds like I have more testing to do :?
That was what I originally thought - that the only effect was the tires directly moving dirt around through roost. That's why the original roost based erode algorithm worked so poorly. I think it was actually you that straightened me out on that. There was a video that someone posted (I thought it was you) that was a fixed camera filming a berm. Every time a rider hit it you could see the entire berm move well beyond where the tires touched it. It was visibly moving several feet away from the direct contact and I'm sure it was imperceptibly affected even further than that.

So the new system tries to model it more like clay being squished around. Imagine you draw a grid on some clay and then push the center of the grid in some random direction. The radius is the max distance where the grid would be distorted by the force.
Perfect. That makes way more sense. So is the “inner erode” more the tire digging down?

So many more things to test, but my August I bet we will have some badass settings
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

checkerz wrote:Perfect. That makes way more sense. So is the “inner erode” more the tire digging down?
Yes. The inner radius distributes to the outer radius so it's similar to removing material assuming the outer radius is large enough.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Dumb question, what are the tileinfo equivalent settings for "stock traction"? I'd like to use it for a tile, but when I add the tileinfo file with a tile to a blank track it defaults to that and doesn't keep the original tilemap.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

yzmxer608 wrote:Dumb question, what are the tileinfo equivalent settings for "stock traction"? I'd like to use it for a tile, but when I add the tileinfo file with a tile to a blank track it defaults to that and doesn't keep the original tilemap.
Default is "friction 1 1", "roll_resist 5 15 1".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Thank you!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:erode_front_scale <scale>
This scales the force from the front wheel. Use lower values to prevent braking bumps and less berm on corner entry. Default is 1.0.
Would putting this setting around or above 1.0 encourage breaking bumps?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I added that because Chris thought the berms were too high on entry. The intention is to set it below 1 to reduce the berm lead in. If you want the "natural" setting, leave it at 1. Going higher probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Painting the tile maps with different steps like this has had pretty good results.
Do you have any ideas or a direction to go in to make that exit rut (the pink tile) form a couple more lines? You can see where the lines want to form, they just aren't there yet.

Here's the settings for that tile

Code: Select all

friction 1.0 0
friction 1.2 1.5
friction 1.1 15
friction 1.2 30
roll_resist 40.0 60.0 35.0
roll_resist 50.0 70.0 45.0
erode_depth 5.5
erode_lower 50.0
erode_upper 120.0
erode_displacement 0.35
erode_radius 2.25
erode_inner_depth 7.55
erode_inner_radius 1.5
erode_min_slope -0.75
erode_max_slope 0.75
erode_off_speed 10.0
erode_on_speed 16.0
erode_slip_base_scale 1.0
erode_slip_scale 1.0
erode_slip_lower 0.0
erode_slip_upper 5.0
erode_downhill_scale 0.8
erode_limit 0.00 3.00 7.00
erode_limit 0.45 1.0 6.00
erode_limit 0.95 0.35 4.00
erode_limit 1.5 0.05 1.35
erode_limit 2.25 0.05 0.75
erode_limit 3.25 0.05 0.05
erode_lateral_scale 1.5
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

jlv wrote:I added that because Chris thought the berms were too high on entry. The intention is to set it below 1 to reduce the berm lead in. If you want the "natural" setting, leave it at 1. Going higher probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Yes, this setting is probably the best setting in erode. Turn it down and turn up displacement/depth and get sick bumps without giant ruts that trap you in. I think it'll completely transform national erode.
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

checkerz wrote:
jlv wrote:I added that because Chris thought the berms were too high on entry. The intention is to set it below 1 to reduce the berm lead in. If you want the "natural" setting, leave it at 1. Going higher probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Yes, this setting is probably the best setting in erode. Turn it down and turn up displacement/depth and get sick bumps without giant ruts that trap you in. I think it'll completely transform national erode.
My bad, that was lateral scale, now front scale.
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

checkerz wrote:
checkerz wrote:
My bad, that was lateral scale, now front scale.
*not
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jeremy150 wrote:Painting the tile maps with different steps like this has had pretty good results.
Do you have any ideas or a direction to go in to make that exit rut (the pink tile) form a couple more lines? You can see where the lines want to form, they just aren't there yet.

Here's the settings for that tile

Code: Select all

friction 1.0 0
friction 1.2 1.5
friction 1.1 15
friction 1.2 30
roll_resist 40.0 60.0 35.0
roll_resist 50.0 70.0 45.0
erode_depth 5.5
erode_lower 50.0
erode_upper 120.0
erode_displacement 0.35
erode_radius 2.25
erode_inner_depth 7.55
erode_inner_radius 1.5
erode_min_slope -0.75
erode_max_slope 0.75
erode_off_speed 10.0
erode_on_speed 16.0
erode_slip_base_scale 1.0
erode_slip_scale 1.0
erode_slip_lower 0.0
erode_slip_upper 5.0
erode_downhill_scale 0.8
erode_limit 0.00 3.00 7.00
erode_limit 0.45 1.0 6.00
erode_limit 0.95 0.35 4.00
erode_limit 1.5 0.05 1.35
erode_limit 2.25 0.05 0.75
erode_limit 3.25 0.05 0.05
erode_lateral_scale 1.5
I think the high lateral scale setting is going to make the main rut get faster and faster until you have no choice but to take it. My preference would be more bumpiness and less rutty. Force the riders to change up their lines as the main line degrades. (Be aware that if you follow my preferences the riders will probably want to lynch you.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com