How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method)

Johnny_McClorey_95
Team: Privateer

Re: How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method

Post by Johnny_McClorey_95 »

stekoo_987 wrote:Hello,

ive downloaded sektchup with the link you gave here but when i try to add a location the program tells me that they have updated "3D Warehouse" and i cant use this tool
so i cant add a location and should download the newest version. but than i cant use the plug in. Can anybody help me?
I've got the exact same problem :(
safarii11

Post by safarii11 »

http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=mesh2HeightMap i think this should work so you can use the 2015 version, correct me if i'm wrong
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Looks like that works looking at the details. You can export it as .RAW, greyscale, 16 bit then convert it to PNG in Ps or something.

This is the file, so you don't have to sign up to get it. I'll test it out soonish, should work the same way as before I'd guess but I'll try it and update if anything has changed (or anyone else can).
https://www.mediafire.com/?qwtdssxwst3wnt5
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Johnny_McClorey_95

Pumaxcs wrote:Looks like that works looking at the details. You can export it as .RAW, greyscale, 16 bit then convert it to PNG in Ps or something.

This is the file, so you don't have to sign up to get it. I'll test it out soonish, should work the same way as before I'd guess but I'll try it and update if anything has changed (or anyone else can).
Thank yous so much! trying it now
BuzzedControlers
Crushed Dissenter
Team: StanceMoto|AUS|Owner

Post by BuzzedControlers »

For some awesome reason you cant use sketch up 8 pro any-more, the find location program, is only working on sketch up pro 14' and 15'
And the file you download (Plugin) isn't or I haven't found a way to make it compatible, So there for there is no way I can think of to get a Graymap?

If anyone has a fix for this or knows the location of a plugin that works would be awesome!
BuzzedControlers
Crushed Dissenter
Team: StanceMoto|AUS|Owner

Post by BuzzedControlers »

Pumaxcs wrote:Looks like that works looking at the details. You can export it as .RAW, greyscale, 16 bit then convert it to PNG in Ps or something.

I posted before I read the above comments :(

How do you put the file into sketch up 15'? ive been looking for a tutorial but I don't quite understand them?
Johnny_McClorey_95

BuzzedControlers wrote:How do you put the file into sketch up 15'? ive been looking for a tutorial but I don't quite understand them?
I've been trying to figure that out too :(
Five5One Designs

Post by Five5One Designs »

Johnny_McClorey_95 wrote:
BuzzedControlers wrote:How do you put the file into sketch up 15'? ive been looking for a tutorial but I don't quite understand them?
I put it in this location:

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins

Then when in sketchup model to heightmap is in the extensions drop down box, for me anyways , hope this helps.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Five5One Designs wrote:
Johnny_McClorey_95 wrote:
I put it in this location:

Then when in sketchup model to heightmap is in the extensions drop down box, for me anyways , hope this helps.
Has this method worked for anyone else? I am able to have the extension/plugin drop-down box show up, but I get an error message every time I click it. I have everything completed up to converting to heightmap, it's been a little frustrating trying to sort it out and not having anything seem to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Aggressively Mediocre Image
honda23
Team: RKI/JDS

Post by honda23 »

Big Smooth one3 wrote:Has this method worked for anyone else? I am able to have the extension/plugin drop-down box show up, but I get an error message every time I click it. I have everything completed up to converting to heightmap, it's been a little frustrating trying to sort it out and not having anything seem to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I cannot see the plug in drop down box either, that's frustrating. I really liked the sketchup method, unfortunately now i can only use microdem but it isn't the same...
Gabriele Grossi #22 | RKI JayDeeSounds Italia Racing Team
Trackmaker, PM me to get your favourite track done at reasonable prices!
If you like my works --> https://www.paypal.me/Gabrielegrossi
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Sounds like you guys (Big smooth and honda23) have 2 different problems actually. I think big smooth has the drop down. Anyways, you guys could both try creating your own "Plugins" folder like this:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\Plugins
instead of like this:
Then obviously copy the plugin that you downloaded into there.
Then go into sketchup. Window > preferences, then click on "extensions" then at the bottom click on "install extensions...". That should bring up a new window to browse for the plugin. Go to the folder you put it in and install it. That should then create the extensions Drop down right next to the window drop down that you already have.

Big smooth, I have a feeling your problem is different since you can already see it and you are getting an error message. Whats the error message say?
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

A couple things for Aeffertz:
Awesome tutorial. But in video 3 (I think) you said you save your terrain.png as 2048. It needs to be 2049 x 2049. The PNG image though, yes it needs to be a power of 2 (2048x2048 or 4096x4096 for example). Also you did a good job at explaining how to get the heights scaled well but kind of didnt really mention how to scale the length. One way I could offer to tell about is this... If you are using the 2049 resolution, you know at a scale of 1 you will have 2048 x 2048 feet of terrain. In more stupid terms, if you went in game and measured the length of one side, it would be 2048 feet. So if you go back into your google earth thing and measure (yes there is a measure tool) one side of your path and for example lets say you get 1475 feet. You would take 1475/2048 = 0.720215 which is now your scale. AKA, change the second number in terrain.hf to that. And now you are at 1:1 scale. From there some simple math to scale it up if you so choose.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong in any of this. Because I could be.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Yeah, I misspoke about a couple things.

And I forgot to mention how to get the scale. I believe that's how I was doing it, though. For the last one (the one in the video) I forgot about that step and just guessed on the scale to get it to feel right. Thanks for the reminder!
Cody Darr
Team: Start Your Systems

Post by Cody Darr »

Going to try and give Sleepy Hollow a go using this method not sure how it will work out lol still having trouble getting the overlay to work right for me. For some reason my decals files will not read it for the life of me lol. Probably missing a letter or some shit.
2011 LRS Monday Night local Series 125 Pro Champion
jlv wrote:What a dope! He should have saved that move for the last lap like Cody Darr!
honda23
Team: RKI/JDS

Post by honda23 »

barrington314 wrote:Sounds like you guys (Big smooth and honda23) have 2 different problems actually. I think big smooth has the drop down. Anyways, you guys could both try creating your own "Plugins" folder like this:
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\Plugins
instead of like this:
Then obviously copy the plugin that you downloaded into there.
Then go into sketchup. Window > preferences, then click on "extensions" then at the bottom click on "install extensions...". That should bring up a new window to browse for the plugin. Go to the folder you put it in and install it. That should then create the extensions Drop down right next to the window drop down that you already have.

Big smooth, I have a feeling your problem is different since you can already see it and you are getting an error message. Whats the error message say?
Thanks barrington now it works for me! I could not find a way to install the plugin
Gabriele Grossi #22 | RKI JayDeeSounds Italia Racing Team
Trackmaker, PM me to get your favourite track done at reasonable prices!
If you like my works --> https://www.paypal.me/Gabrielegrossi