How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method)

aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method)

Post by aeffertz »

Hey everyone,

I couldn't find a way to get the real height data that worked so I created some tutorials specifically for MXS that guides you through the process. It's not very difficult but it does take a little time. You will find that it provides you with a much better base though rather than trying to draw all the hills in by hand. Hope this helps someone! Any questions, feel free to ask!

Excuse the extra ramblings and slurred words. These tutorials were fueled by 4lokos. :lol:

aeffertz

Re: How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method

Post by aeffertz »

Part 2:

aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Part 3:

aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Part 4:

Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I tried this today and filled in some of the blanks with step one.

You will need Sketch Up 2013 or older for this plug in to work. In the 2014 version they updated the coding language meaning this file type isn't supported any longer and hasn't been updated by anyone. I found a download of 2013 (Free Version, calm down)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hxwt3 ... hUpWEN.exe

This is the plugin used for the conversions. The actual link is on a forum you have to sign up for so I went on ahead and took the bullet for you guys.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/iewdo ... ghtMap.zip

To install this plugin you must first have SketchUp installed. If you have the program open you will need to restart it before the plugin shows up in the menu. The folder is located in the installed directory (default C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2013\) and you will need to drag and drop the .rb file into the plugins folder. It is now installed and because an item is populating the plugin folder it will now appear in the menu bar.

Believe that covers everything, good work on the tutorial.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

One more thing to make part 2 a little quicker, you can export the image SketchUp used directly by going to File<Export<2D Graphic and it will give you the Satellite image that SketchUp pulled, same mask and positioning.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Pumaxcs wrote:One more thing to make part 2 a little quicker, you can export the image SketchUp used directly by going to File<Export<2D Graphic and it will give you the Satellite image that SketchUp pulled, same mask and positioning.
Ahh, cool. Good to know!
Tony el Tigre
Team: TM Factory-Racing

Post by Tony el Tigre »

Thank you for making these videos! I surprisingly did it right the first time. Also thank you Puma for the links and the quick tips.
aVo-733

Post by aVo-733 »

from the first video I don't have that toggle terrain button, any ideas? I downloaded the sketchup from puma's link
Tony el Tigre
Team: TM Factory-Racing

Post by Tony el Tigre »

aVo-733 wrote:from the first video I don't have that toggle terrain button, any ideas? I downloaded the sketchup from puma's link
I also had a problem with that, so I went File --> Geo-location --> Show Terrain and that should solve your problem
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

aVo-733 wrote:from the first video I don't have that toggle terrain button, any ideas? I downloaded the sketchup from puma's link
Looks like it has already been answered, but if you go to View > Toolbars > Google the buttons should appear.
aVo-733

Post by aVo-733 »

thanks boys
stekoo_987
Team: Privateer

Post by stekoo_987 »

Hello,

ive downloaded sektchup with the link you gave here but when i try to add a location the program tells me that they have updated "3D Warehouse" and i cant use this tool
so i cant add a location and should download the newest version. but than i cant use the plug in. Can anybody help me?
Bryce#313

Post by Bryce#313 »

stekoo_987 wrote:ive downloaded sektchup with the link you gave here but when i try to add a location the program tells me that they have updated "3D Warehouse"
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Yep, 2013 version has been phased out and can't connect with the Earth plugin in Sketch Up anymore. Did you ever find an updated version of this custom plug-in you had?
MXS Cares