TUTORIAL- Cutting in a track path in Photoshop

checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

TUTORIAL- Cutting in a track path in Photoshop

Post by checkerz »

A quick easy way to cut a track path into a base terrain in photoshop.

At some point, I'd like to supplement this with images for those not familiar with PS, but for now here goes...

1. You have your base terrain with random hills on a flattened layer. (If it's multiple layers see step 1a.)
1a. To create a flattened image out of your terrain, hit CTRL+A (select all) and then SHIFT+CTRL+C (copy visible) CTRL+V (Paste)
2. Create your track path with the pen tool as a solid black or white path to the width you want to smooth (you can always cut this away layer to narrow it up or smudge it out to widen it, so you want the average)
3. CTRL+Click on your track path layer to make a selection of your track path
4. Turn off your track path layer (keeping your selection)
5. Select your flattened base terrain layer
6. With the marquee tool selected, right click on your image and select "Copy as New Layer"
7. Paste as the top layer in your PSD
8. On your new track path layer, Lock Transparent Pixels (above the layer list, below blend modes, it's the first icon beside lock... checkered board)
9. This is the "tunable" step depending on what you want. With your Lock Transparent Pixels locked on your track path layer, BLUR 25px (or 10px twice, or play around and find what works best).
10. Turn off LOCK TRANSPARENT PIXELS.

You now have a track path cut into your terrain and ready for tweaking as a great base to start with.
Wings
Crushed Dissenter

Re: TUTORIAL- Cutting in a track path in Photoshop

Post by Wings »

Thanks for this tutorial checkerz. i always wondered how u get nice flat track path on a hilly terrain. Thanks man
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

Keegan M wrote:Thanks for this tutorial checkerz. i always wondered how u get nice flat track path on a hilly terrain. Thanks man
I actually just was taught this method. The way all my previous tracks were done was using gradients and the warp tool to go around my track path and smooth it in to the heights I wanted and then off track was blended to match the track path afterwards. This technique saves a good 4 or 5 hours on a hilly track!
Wings
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Wings »

Yer definatley again thanks bro
Duckstream

Post by Duckstream »

your 2 days late :(

well i make another one :D (since my hill track sucks IMO, the new ones too short and enduro is enduro)
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Checkerz448 wrote:
Keegan M wrote:Thanks for this tutorial checkerz. i always wondered how u get nice flat track path on a hilly terrain. Thanks man
I actually just was taught this method. The way all my previous tracks were done was using gradients and the warp tool to go around my track path and smooth it in to the heights I wanted and then off track was blended to match the track path afterwards. This technique saves a good 4 or 5 hours on a hilly track!
I used to do this too.... this method you describe is MUCH easier and saves a ton of time. Thanks a lot!
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
mxbiker
Team: FSK

Post by mxbiker »

Checkerz448 wrote:At some point, I'd like to supplement this with images for those not familiar with PS, but for now here goes...
i would like it if you did that, cause im new using a photshop programm besides gimp.
Proud MXS member since 2008
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
2011 SMA nationals championships leader
5th at the GP replica series 2011
3th overall with team Holland at the MXSON 2010
staydown
Team: Building Tracks Only

Post by staydown »

thanks for the tutorial, works perfect, much appreciated
MotoRockstar777
Team: Privateer

Post by MotoRockstar777 »

you should make a video of this just showing what you click on because i cant figure some of this out.
LucMx23
Team: Digital Dirtworx

Post by LucMx23 »

MotoRockstar777 wrote:you should make a video of this just showing what you click on because i cant figure some of this out.
that would be really the best and save you alot of time ;) it takes much longer to write something done than recording something :lol:
a video would be awesome!